Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Latest Blog:
None

"Work from home" sites: thoughts

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a great opinion of "work from home" sites.

Usually they are all selling some form of "book" of secrets, yet from what little I've seen, it's all about using SEO for affiliate marketing. Which is information you can get for free from many forums.

Also, some even run - or have affilaite links to - to other work from home sites, and pyramid schemes.

I have never accepted a work from home link in my britecorp directory, and I do not answer e-mails from work from home sites asking for SEO.

My opinion of the industry is extremely low - probably because I see them as a bunch of "dream-feeders" - setting up idealistic goals and then ramming a sales pitch on the easily fooled.

Don't get me wrong, I know money can be made through SEO and affiliate schemes - but the people pushing the content seem to be leeching on the dreams of others by making unrealistic promises.

Or have I got the industry wrong?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2004, 05:08 AM
Latest Blog:
None

In general, I think that you have a good crasp on that industry.
But, I also think that there are some products that are good. I like the ebook on google adwords. Eventhough I think that you could find the info for free on the internet somewhere, it's a nice summarized ebook.
But, because I agree with you that most work at home sites are crap, I think that I will start one eventually and just tell people how to do SEO and affiliate marketing because that is one of the only ways to make a decent amount of money from home without too much extra work when you are making the money.

Old 07-28-2004, 01:01 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Re: "Work from home" sites: thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have a great opinion of "work from home" sites.

My opinion of the industry is extremely low - probably because I see them as a bunch of "dream-feeders" - setting up idealistic goals and then ramming a sales pitch on the easily fooled.

Or have I got the industry wrong?
I think you've got it just right. Dream-Feeders is perfect. I have a friend (a very bright guy) who looked into a bunch of these things. He told me he hit the perfect one and had me research. Just another dead end. I'm sure there are a few things out there that work, but havn't witnessed it myself.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:05 PM
v7n Mentor

I may not be thinking of the same kinda sites your referring to but I have a different impression of Home businesses...like a lot of Contractors for housing, and most other construction type businesses can be run from home, Consultants, Advertising etc. I think of Home based business as just that a business that's ran from Home. It also depends on the state your in and the laws governing business as to where they can be. There not all about SEO affiliate marketing or books. You may want to add them on a case by case method.

Old 07-29-2004, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think there's a difference between home businesses and work-from-home websites, the latter being just an example of the former. I'm in accordance with Brian on how I perceive work-from-home sites. They largely fall into the same category.

Aaron

Old 07-29-2004, 09:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Maybe it's a UK thing.

Old 11-02-2004, 03:12 PM

Good ones are good, bad ones are very bad

In the business opportunity market, Good ones are good, bad ones are very bad. There are some terrific sites out there that pitch a terrific resource, and deliver great value, and then some that are shams. Doesn't seem very different from other types of sites. I wouldn't broadbrush the entire niche, however. One problem with the business opportunity market that we experience at our company, is that so, so many who buy our products don't follow instructions, or never even study the product and still feel like they have accomplished something without taking any real action whatsoever. We see a basic behavioral problem that you would call dream stealing, but we would call it quit-itis. The individual says to himself "This time Im gonna do it." but doesnt follow thru. It's very frustrating for a company that delivers value. It can be exploited by another that is looking for easy bucks.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:11 AM

Hmm... a lot of those sites stretch the meaning of the word "business". Most are just variations of old scams.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I got a work from home client, he pays the bill so i do the work

hes into some execise junk now, like "loose 50 pounds and turn your body fat to gold" well not quite that bad but you get the pic

they leech onto peoples dreams but they mostly leech onto people greed, easy money without working, or get a perfect body without working out

Old 11-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Hiya guys,

If your interested, I am about to start this fantastic "Work from home" business and if you send me £150 = ($276 roughly) I will show you how to "loose 50 pounds and turn your body fat to gold"

Yes it really is that simple.

What are you waiting for?

Hell, why not send two cheques and double your chances.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs up

That was Great!

heheh

All those stuffing envelopes and generating pyramids are all crap.... the only type of work at home programs I believe really work are affiliates and resellers

Old 11-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Ya gotta love those work from home sites though. No phone number or email address, the page is about 40 clicks long, slammed full of centered text in various fonts, bolds, italics, and colors that make it look like a circus vomited on the page. The domain record lists some Yahoo email address and a phone number like 999-999-9999.

Not saying they made up all those quotes and accolades, but it does make one wonder how these dedicated life-long fans managed to get their testimonial to the folks when there's no email address.

Old 11-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I don't think that home based business deserve such unequivoocal criticism. I use services of a few home based businesses and I am happy. I also operate one and once I get a customer they do not go elswewhere unles I tell them I am to small to handle their needs.
Sure, there are lots of "hit and run" home businesses, but there are probably as many traditional ones, with storefronts, faxmachines, free parking and such.

When I lived in NYC a few guys rented a nice store, a few desks, a couple PCs, fax machines, phones, hired a bunch of sexy chicks and they accepted money from people to send multisystem TVs to Europe. There were 2 or 3 on display to show exactly how hey look and work. Good models and real cheap. At the time a TV like that would cost around $1000 in a regular electronics store. They sold them for only $650.00, shipping to Europe included. A month later the shop closed, the guys were nowhere to be found, none of the TVs were ever shipped anywhere. The legitimate, non-home busness made over $1million in one month.

But you don't have to believe me in my little story. Just look for Enron scandal. How is that for a reputable busness that basically ruined people's lifes, thousands of them. I betcha they had an awesome website, and lots of phone numbers.

Old 11-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Nobody is talking about the home-based contractor, SEO, home healthcare nurse, etc that work out of their homes. You are probably safer with many of these because they know that you know where they live.

What is being talked about here is the envelope stuffing plans, surf the net and get paids, the "you can run your own Internet company with the help of our kit" programs, the weight-loss juice program (but doesn't tell you that you cannot leave the restroom for 2 days), the become a millionaire like me programs, the get rich by placing classified ads program, or anything else that you can "dream your dream" and it only costs 3 easy payments of $59.95...

BUT WAIT.........!

Old 11-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Latest Blog:
None

its sort of funny the one guys site I designed I don't even know what its selling

but its sure is high profit, they make 40,000 a month or something

Old 11-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadoc
BUT WAIT.........!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:37 PM

I stumbled onto these business while looking for something for my wife to do while my son was napping. Its turns out that most of them are schemes. We are still waiting for our first survey for cash to be sent to us from survey-club.com (after six weeks).

Most of the sites are fronts for direct mailers who are looking to harvest your personal information and sell it to another marketer. If you have found a legitimate, profitable ($300 a week or more) work from home business, please let me know. I would love to invest some time reviewing it and possibly getting involved.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I totally understand what you are saying about the WAH stuff.

I started a WAH forum because I do work from home and want to work from home as a full-time deal. So many posts are for scams it's sad.

>> but its sure is high profit, they make 40,000 a month or something

Could you check into that for me?!?

Old 02-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadoc
colors that make it look like a circus vomited on the page
Classic

Old 02-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I am looking for people to make LOTS of money stuffing envelopes from the comfort of home.....

Sorry, I could not help myself

I always love hearing from people who tell me that I can make a million dollars doing something when they have not even done so themselves.

If I found a gold mine, do you think I would tell you?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue