Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 11-09-2003, 01:07 PM

Site Sponsors

How do people deal with acquiring site sponsors? Do you call or email someone within the company? What approach is used - could it be this direct or is there a more subtle recommendation.
Quote:
Dear Sirs:
I am the webmaster of somedomain.com and am looking for site sponsors..etc..blahblahblah. My domain receives x amount of pageviews, pagerank of x, x unique visitors, etc. My proposal would be to write an article reviewing your product and am looking for x amount per year.
That's only an example but you get the idea. Any suggestions that others have used?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 01:16 PM

I've never seen sponsored sites where companies pay for it, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist - only that I haven't noticed any. Sponsored sites that I have seen are those where the sponsoring company allows something - like free hosting. All the "Please visit our sponsors" stuff is just affiliate links as far as I know.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Individualist

Concrete-Home.com and Just-Contractors.com had sponsors - just another way of saying advertisers.

I just called the companies up, and asked if they wanted some seriously targeted exposure.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:18 PM

Not a site sponsor that pays for it... I am talking about having a site sponsor that pays me x amount per year or whatever for an advertisement spot on the site. I guess not a site sponsor - but a paid advertisement.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:19 PM

I have paid sponsors on one of the sites I run. Companies pay X amount to have a banner on the site and we give them some extra percs aswell like a sponsor forum where members can post questions to them directly, etc.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:22 PM

Good idea fishfreek. I was looking at a couple different companies that would work perfectly for a dedicated forum.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:37 PM

Given my site is a hobby site and the advertisers that sponsor are dealing with the subject mater of the site I dont ask a ton of money simply because there is not a large profit marjin in the hobby relm. Or atleast this hobby relm.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/sponsor.php

Take a look at the page I have for prospective sponsors. I have tried contacting possible sponsors but found the three paid sponsors we have now acutally seeked us out.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:46 PM

Very informative fishfreek. That just gave me a couple ideas on how I could implement this on my site.

Old 11-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

One of our sites gets most of its income from "major sponsors". They each pay $NZ5000 per year. For this amount of money they expect personal service, excellent stats and a few perks like fishfreek suggested. You really need to look after them.

Anyway, you're asking how to get them in the first place. In our experience, don't email them. If you want the serious bucks you need to contact them by phone. Ask the receptionist who the right person to talk to is. Do your homework first, find out the company's sponsorship history, learn about the company, etc.

Make sure you have some specific ideas before you talk to them. Rather than just saying "Your banner would fit nicely on my page", you need things like "I believe we can drive traffic to your site by doing this..."

We do things like run competitions based on the sponsor's products, have occasional "news" stories about the sponsor's latest success, etc. We also have a scheduled live chat where visitors can ask questions, for example we had a dog food manufacturer who had a monthly spot answering questions about dog health and nutrition.

To be honest, you might want to employ some professional help to get started. The competition in this arena is intense and if you don't appear to have experience dealing with corporate sponsors, you're at a disadvantage.

The good news is that after you've got your first major sponsor or two, it becomes easier. If a potential sponsor can see that you've attracted other reputable companies it gives them confidence.

One last thing - make sure you ask for and save positive feedback from sponsors. All sponsorship deals eventually die, and having this feedback will help get your next sponsor.

Old 11-09-2003, 04:36 PM

Thanks Dave. I probably won't be getting anyone else to help with corporate entities... I can handle that - I deal with corporations and billion dollar individuals on a daily basis. Interesting idea regarding contests for a product on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.. I see things like creating the best birdhouse or something and win a milwaukee chop saw.
I'll put some ideas together and post them.. see what everyone thinks. Some ideas regarding a possible sponsor and what could be offered.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:21 PM

This is what I did with our first sponsor.

I talked them into donating a water filter (this was on my aquariumsite) to the winner of the contest. I told them that they would be billed as the offical sponsor of the contest and they would get banner at the top of every page and their site linked in the e-mail about the contest, etc.

The contest we ran was a referal contest to see who could refer the most members to our site. The winner would get the $150 filter.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:08 PM

I had similar ideas.. I think it's going to be more difficult with someone like Milwaukee or Dewalt than someone who just developed a new and innovative product - but you never know. On the other hand I think, once these bigger names are on board, they would be more likely to donate something.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:11 PM

Hmmm.. maybe I could put together a short brochure that would show all the information in. Then after calling a company I could email them a professional looking brochure with all the site metrics, and possible programs, contests, etc we would be attempting to implement. That might be one of those easy follow-up things, in case they had forgotten the conversation.

Old 11-10-2003, 07:29 AM

This might help.

COme up with some things to sell the sponsorship by saying that the site needs sponsorship to take it to the next level. Outline what you have done todate with the site and outline where you want to go with the site and outline how sponsorship can help you accheve this goal. Sell the traffic you get big time. Companies will love the idea of being offered the ability to advertise infront of a bunch of eyes that use their compeditors products.

For example to get the filter donated for our contest I gave the sponsor 1 month of exclusive banner rights. Basicly it gave them 100% visibility in the banner slot by not having any other banner show for that period. They must have gotten close to 100,000 banner impressions that month alone.

What I do to help sell sponsorship is tell prospective sponsors that thru their sponsorship they help pay the sites expenses and thus help keep the site up and running.

Old 11-15-2003, 12:19 PM

fishfreak i know its slightly off topic but how thick would an aquarium glass have to be to hold some chicks swimming in it like 20ft long and 10ft high maybe? and how much

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue