Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Keyword is in domain name

Re.
here's a new site registered 4th September, 2010 - learnhtmlonline.org - currently sitting #11 on Google against 188 million competing pages - and it's just a single web page!

I forgot to mention that the primary search phrase is:
learn html online

Having an exact-match domain name is part of the strategy - so it's a combination of finding a low competition search phrase that other websites have not done a good SEO job with, as well as registering the right domain name BEFORE building the site

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

That's awesome - and the third result for me on Google's 1st page (your learnhtmlonline.org site).

I've tried to utilize the same strategy with two of my domains but unfortunately still struggling to learn SEO and missing out on large chunks of traffic. Still as I learn I'm hoping I can build my RecentUFOsighting.com and UAVpilot.org into larger earners. They get traffic DESPITE me. ;-)

Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

We should be seeing the same ranking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apposl View Post
That's awesome - and the third result for me on Google's 1st page (your learnhtmlonline.org site).

I've tried to utilize the same strategy with two of my domains but unfortunately still struggling to learn SEO and missing out on large chunks of traffic. Still as I learn I'm hoping I can build my RecentUFOsighting.com and UAVpilot.org into larger earners. They get traffic DESPITE me. ;-)

As I always make sure I use Google.com and not Google UK, we should be seeing the same ranking

Maybe Google's messing with us by dropping cookies on our web browsers and showing us results based on what we generally look at

Anyway even if site is #11 it will move close to top of page #1 when built out with additional web pages to support the primary search phrase

Re. your web sites and SEO - You've certainly latched on to buying exact-match domain names - very powerful SEO!

Also good is the fact that your domain names contain no hyphens - a known magnet for Google human reviewers - and we don't want them looking over our shoulder do we!

Re. large earners - that depends on total cumulative search volume your sites are relevant for - i.e. a micro niche can never get large scale traffic like a broader niche can

Also relevant is the CPC of adwords, and whether all 8 adwords are displaying on Google's #1 search result page - a good indicator of the profitablility of a niche - i.e. people don't spend money on high CPC ads unless they can still make money from converting the traffic they get

Last edited by aceseo; 10-01-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Ahh selling sites. I tried that and for some reason it doesn't really seem "me". I'd rather choose long term assets than a huge lump-sum deposit.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAdvertise4You View Post
Ahh selling sites. I tried that and for some reason it doesn't really seem "me". I'd rather choose long term assets than a huge lump-sum deposit.

Yes, I know it's not for everyone

I know someone who thinks like you - trouble is he's recently registered over 300 domains - how's he going to develop them all, when he's already got a load of site's he's neglecting due to lack of time

Perhaps the thing to do is keep the best of the best, and sell the rest

I definately see the advantage of keeping sites - but a quick profit is so aluring!

Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Is it just me (because I'm outside US), getting new adsense account is hard? The google reviewer always tell me that the site isn't getting enough traffic so they can't issue an adsense account?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Banned

Great to earn money this way . i try but not getting more

Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation An Adsense Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckz View Post
Is it just me (because I'm outside US), getting new adsense account is hard? The google reviewer always tell me that the site isn't getting enough traffic so they can't issue an adsense account?

I've had my adsense account for about 10 years - so I don't know if it's difficult to get an account nowadays

There is a trick you can use - join hubpages and get some hubs online - then apply to join adsense program through hubpages - I've heard it's almost automatic that you will get accepted

When you've been accepted, you can then add your own websites to your adsense account

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

The Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
Great to earn money this way . i try but not getting more

The basics are pretty straightforward:

keyword research - find exact-match .com .org .net available to register that has good monthly search volume, and low competition - using your favourite keyword tool, say over 200 searches, adsense click over $1 - and most importantly, only a few backlinks required to rank page #1

The home page of a site like that should rank page #1 in a few weeks - you can then start adding more pages, in order to rank for more keywords - each page targets a secondary search phrase

Shouldn't take many months before the site is worth about $500 - you could sell it then, or keep building out the site until it's worth $1,000

The site will of course be making money from Clickbank, Amazon, Adsense or whatever, whilst you're building up the site

It is my intention to start listing ready-made sites for about $200 dollars on the site in my signature - these sites can be expanded and backlinked further until they become high-value sites

Still struggling with site platform - don't know whether to go with Wordpress blogs, PHP video sites, PHP article sites, or static html

I registered 10 more domains yesterday - getting them online as 1 page sites now, then when they rank page #1 on Google, I'll build out the sites

Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Wordpress Blogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenguyen View Post
I still have quesiton about why you use PHP site instead of Wordpress? I agree that PHP site has the advantage of customized on-site SEO, ... but Wordpress is more faster to build and has many plug-in supported? Why don't you choose Wordpress?

I've had a change of heart about Wordpress

If I'm being honest, because the trick is in the choice of a low competition primary search phrase that has a .com .org or .net exact-match domain name available to register, the actual platform used to build the site is not really that important - after all, the site's are already ranking page #1 on Google as a single index page

I didn't want to get involved in moving Wordpress blogs to the buyer's hosting account - but I've discovered an easy way to move the sites now, so my main objection is no longer valid

The only plugin the Wordpress blog will need re-installing is all-in-one-seo, because I'm going to avoid mass plugin installation - the sites won't need them, and I don't want to waste lots of time setting up plugins

The Wordpress blogs will however be configured for SEO

So, the choice will be up to the buyer - $100 for a PHP video site, or $200 to $300 for a Wordpress blog site

Old 10-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceseo View Post
1/ Product review site, where people can post a comment, or vote for products

2/ News and articles Wordpress blog, with commenting enabled
Is this still valid today, when most sites add "nofollow" to the comments section, or any user-contributed content?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation big sites need to be different

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirr View Post
Is this still valid today, when most sites add "nofollow" to the comments section, or any user-contributed content?

Letting people vote and add comments makes a site web 2.0 and different from "static" sites

Google is supposed to be mad about web 2.0 sites and rank them better than "ordinary" sites

Google invented the "nofollow" so I don't think they care if links on your site are dofollow or nofollow

If you are aiming to build a big, high traffic site, then you need to do something different from all the other sites - that's my idea behind sites with 2, 3, or 4 different sections

The only other way is to build a silo'd site with 5 or more silo's, and have 5 or more supporting article pages in each silo - you can add extra silos to target additional search phrases - and add extra article pages to keep the site "fresh"

I'm currently focussing on building niche wordpress blogs to flip, as I've now found a way to transfer them to the buyers hosting account, as complete working sites - i.e. don't have to mess with the database, or upload and set up the plugins again

When you have a big site that makes most of your income, you get a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach every morning when you log on and check your adsense account - because you livelyhood may be gone!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:47 PM

how do you find the keywords for your site. its very important for the autoblgo!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Contributing Member

keywords - traffic volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwebhost View Post
how do you find the keywords for your site. its very important for the autoblgo!

The site was developed for a brokerage house - the aim was simple - to get lots of visitors and entice them to click through to the brokerage site to download free PDF reports in exchange for giving contact info

Adsense click values did not matter - so it was initially high traffic keywords obtained with google external keyword tool and micro niche finder desktop keyword tool

After I took over the site, I added a lot of high click value keywords

When I reached the limit of visitors for currency trading keywords, I expanded out to stock trading, commodities, futures - I checked with google keyword tool and google search results to make sure I was still on topic

The articles on the front of site are old now and bring in hardly any traffic - I've been planning on trashing that section and re-build it - I have a blueprint for a LSI Silo site with 2,200 search phrases - a massive job, but silo sites can be built up over time - starting with 3 silos and adding more silos over time - that's one of the advantages of having a multi-section web site - you can re-do one section without effecting the others

If you are building a keyword list, then click values does cut down the list a lot - you throw out a lot of 5 cent clicks that would help your overall daily visitor count - you have to decide if you want high traffic volume, or high value traffic

Generally I target $1 and over adwords click value, and 200 a month or over global search volume

Old 11-05-2010, 01:46 AM

Great thread here. I don't understand how you insert the feeds in your site. What automatic plugins do you use ? I have sites with original content but one of them receive a penalty, even the content is original... How you obtain the Google trust with this not original content ?

Old 11-05-2010, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Google Trust - and market sectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinIcs View Post
Great thread here. I don't understand how you insert the feeds in your site. What automatic plugins do you use ? I have sites with original content but one of them receive a penalty, even the content is original... How you obtain the Google trust with this not original content ?

Re. Google Trust - That's a difficult one to answer, as only Google search team know for sure

The site is 3 years old, which helps - but site was trusted and ranking well when it was 1 year old

So it may be because it's not a single site format - i.e. not just a blog, not just a video site, not just an article site, etc.

As you point out, you can run into trouble with Google even when you have an original content site - my guess is that your banned site has adsense on it, and was passed to the search team for banning, by the adsense team (especially common with blog sites)

Plugins for the blog section were expensive - over $200 - but you can use them on multiple site installations, and they are available commercially - PM me if you really want to know what they are (I started out with a freebie plugin, but it stopped auto-posting when I updated the WP version - common with free plugins)

I should point out that the video directory brings in a lot of visitors - and that is pure PHP coding - i.e. no plugin nonsense, like Wordpress blogs

I'd also like to point out that every case is different - there are so many variables involved - and you can get away with a lot more stuff in low competion, low monetary value market sectors than you can with the big money sectors like finance, weight loss, insurance, etc. - anybody with a history of getting their sites banned, maybe should be looking at building sites to operate in the lower competition sectors, where Google is not watching like a hawk!

Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

auto posting content

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinIcs View Post
Great thread here. I don't understand how you insert the feeds in your site.
The really simple answer is that you find a feed url and insert it into the program - and the program does the rest - same with static html sites, static PHP sites, or blog sites

The plugin does it all - just that some plugins are so compicated that even I can't get them to work - and I've a lot of years experience of computer use, programming, and sitebuilding

I have got auto-posting working for free on html sites - by playing around with bits of other people's PHP code, until I got auto-posting working - never tried it on wordpress blogs though, as wordpress coding is so damn complex - I always take the easy option of using ready-to-go plugins

Old 11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Value of free organic traffic

I've let the site traffic fall to about half its peak - down to about 25,000 visitors per day now, as I don't spend much time on the site

The monthly adwords spend for the free organic google traffic the site gets would be $5,400 per month

The value of the free traffic a site gets is a good valuation method - as site income is often hard to prove - just a matter of deciding what multiple to apply - 8 months maybe? - making the site currently worth over $40,000 perhaps

semrush.com gives value of organic traffic a site is getting - a useful metric to know

Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

Site value gone up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceseo View Post
The value of the free traffic a site gets is a good valuation method - as site income is often hard to prove - just a matter of deciding what multiple to apply - 8 months maybe? - making the site currently worth over $40,000 perhaps

semrush.com gives value of organic traffic a site is getting - a useful metric to know

I've been posting better quality content on the blog and increased the number of target keywords

Strange thing is, when I reduced the number of posts from 19 or 20 a day to 13 or 14 a day, the site earnings from pay-per-lead went up!

I'm currently posting 11 or 12 a day and doing well

I'll keep experimenting till I find the optimum posts/income ratio

semrush.com states the value of free organic Google traffic my site receives has increased to $19,000 a month - making the site worth $152,000 based on 8 months value of Google traffic - though I did pluck the 8 months out of thin air - not sure what the number of months should be - some buyers may think 3 months is a better figure!

I'm almost earning as much from pay-per-lead as I was from adsense before Google stopped showing ads on the site

One advantage of losing Google adwords is that I no longer need to limit myself to high click value keywords - no point now, so the expanded keyword set is good, as it includes lots of high monthly search volume keywords

I've started adding adsense to some of my new sites, but not limiting myself to high pay per click search phrases - instead I'm going after high traffic search phrases - traffic is more important, as I may ditch adsense if I find something better for the sites

Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

you got great outlook and good planing to do the online earnings.I learned some new basics.Thanks

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue