Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation $0 to $100,000 in 3 years

I have several self-hosted wordpress blog sites that are less than a year old

My blog sites create content semi-automatically, and save as draft posts - so my time is spent creating additional content and looking through, and posting the draft content between once every few days for low income sites, and 6 times a day for money-making sites

If a site is not making much money, I'm not inclined to spend much time on it

If I spend 2 to 3 hours a month on a young wordpress blog, the blog makes about $7 adsense per month

If I spend about half an hour a month on a young wordpress blog, the blog still makes $2 to $3 adsense per month

So spending the extra time on the site is not really worth my time, for the few extra dollars in adsense income

However, creating lots of blog posts keeps lots of your site's pages in google's index - and that increases the value of your site, when you want to sell it, as google indexed pages and google backlinks inflate a site's value

I have a 3 year old site that's got a wordpress blog built into it, and I spend about 15 to 20 hours a month on the wordpress blog - that site is now worth almost $100,000 according to esitestats.com - the site also earns over $1,500 a month - mostly from adsense, but amazon and clickbank contribute a couple of hundred dollars a month

Makes you think about building sites with built in wordpress blogs doesn't it - earn adsense revenue while building up the selling price of the site - then sell it for a nice profit

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quite a few people do these autoblogging or semi auto blogging.

Challenging part if not the content; its marketing. How do you deal with that when you have lot of websites?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

autobloggers very small in number

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcosmo View Post
Quite a few people do these autoblogging or semi auto blogging.

Challenging part if not the content; its marketing. How do you deal with that when you have lot of websites?

I think that autobloggers are very small in number, compared to the total number of websites indexed by google

Very few people have the inclination to build auto-blog sites, let alone the skill to set them up themselves, or the money to pay someone else to set the sites set up

I've been sitting on the fence for a couple of years now not knowing whether to go back to building small sites that make small money, but don't require any time once set up and backlinked - or sites that make big money, but take up time every day

I think a compromise is the best solution for me - build a small site as the front end, and also a few video sites in directories - these are the low maintenance parts of the site - and also have a wordpress blog in a directory, that takes up time, but drives the site's traffic

With new domains, I won't create the blog until I see that the rest of the site is getting indexed by google without problems

If I go the site flipping route, then I'll buy in aged sites, rebuild them, and sell them when they make money and have increased in value sufficiently - that way I can manage a portfolio of 10 sites without working long hours

The alternative is having dozens of small sites, and each site making a few dollars adsense, but not becoming a high-value asset that can be sold for a good price

I should point out that I don't have to do this in my spare time, and work a "job" as well - this is my job

Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

good idea... I will try to apply your technique

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 AM

Is there really people who wants to buy a site for 100k? I got a blog like 1 years old but can only get 40 cents a day from adsense, can you share the techniques to get 1500 per month?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:18 PM

so how exactly do you get your sites to create content semi-automatically. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that?

How exactly are you driving traffic to your wordpress blogs? I have a few but I don't know how to get them well known.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM

Wordpress and adsense seems to be a good mix for a lot of people. Congrats on the success.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Contributing Member

$20,000 websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by harajuku View Post
Is there really people who wants to buy a site for 100k? I got a blog like 1 years old but can only get 40 cents a day from adsense, can you share the techniques to get 1500 per month?

When I was working as a SEO I was horrified by the sites companies had recently paid $20,000 for

The companies would contact me, and I had to tell them the site needed scrapping and a new SEO'd site needed building - then they told me "no way", we just paid $20,000 for the site

$100,000 for a site bringing in thousands of visitors a day, that you can get on your mailing list, build a relationship with, or whatever, is a bargain for a company with a good business model

We're talking of about $3,000 a day adwords spend to buy those visitors from google - that's $90,000 a month!

A blog site less than 1 year old will struggle to make good regular adsense money - 40 cents a day is about right

Let's have the URL, and I'll take a look

Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Contributing Member

Wordpress Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddragon2 View Post
so how exactly do you get your sites to create content semi-automatically. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that?

How exactly are you driving traffic to your wordpress blogs? I have a few but I don't know how to get them well known.

I use a combination of free, and paid for Wordpress plugins

You can't really trust what the plugins aggregate - so I have them save as draft, and hand-pick 15 to 20 at a time and set them to "published"

Initial promotion was article marketing, forum posts, blog comments, etc.

After a year or so, the .xml feed has been picked up by enough sites and your content re-published with a backlink, that things simply take off

Google trust is vital - and you don't get that for a new site - but once your site is trusted and you churn out lots of content daily, your posts become page #1 on google within 20 minutes - that's how I get the traffic

Old 01-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

a resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzle View Post
When google finds that out they will end up deindexing your entire operation. Watch out for it!

I got an email a few days ago from a finance student, saying what a wonderful resource I provide

Why would google take offence?

You don't get high adsense click values unless the people clicking the adsense ads are doing something positive when they drop on the advertisers site - such as signing up for email newsletters, or whatever

Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think auto generated content is a good thing. Google's looking for fresh and unique content, as are visitors.

Last edited by Ryan6; 01-23-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

Original Content Is Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan6 View Post
I don't think auto generated content is a good thing. Google's looking for fresh and unique content, as are visitors.

Yes, original content is best - just that I'm not sure if you could make a living from adsense then, as you'd spend such a lot of time writing the content, or paying someone to write it, out of your limited adsense income

Having seen so many adsense things come and go, I am now attempting to bullet-proof my sites, by having a combination of 3 site elements:

1/ Product review site, where people can post a comment, or vote for products

2/ News and articles Wordpress blog, with commenting enabled

3/ Video directory showing youtube videos directly related to the niche, set out like "blog categories"

Hopefully, combining 3 different elements will make the sites "different" enough from the rest

Old 01-25-2010, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member

I see what you mean. Well done on the earnings buddy.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Blog Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokte.com View Post
I think that your content in the blog is not upto the mark.

I've seen a lot worse

I've also seen better

I'm adding to, and updating the other sections of the site, and the blog will become a smaller part of the whole

Depending on how things go, I may hire a writer, and start improving the content

I'm thinking of dropping the clickbank ads at the bottom of the pages, as they don't really pay their way

Last edited by aceseo; 02-01-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: type

Old 02-23-2010, 05:06 AM

You did a wonderful job. Keep it up buddy.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Now worth $132,417

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifor View Post
You did a wonderful job. Keep it up buddy.

Well the site has gone up in value - I'd sell if someone offered what eSiteStats.com now say the site is worth:

tradercurrencies.com eSiteStats Estimated Value: $132,417

Yipee I'm rich! - just got to find a buyer now

Seriously though, I read a pdf ebook a few days ago - and the guy sells sites that are only a few weeks old and have never made a penny in revenue, for between $500 and several thousands of dollars - the $500 was for a new self hosted wordpress blog for gods sake

Seems like the way to go - use a standard sitebuilder or use wordpress platform, slap on some PLR content or articles from article directories, do some backlinking, then sell for $500 upwards when it's got a bit of traffic coming in

He sells his sites through flippa - and I noticed affiliate sites were selling well - even 1 page affiliate product sites - you know the type - the long sales letter

Last edited by aceseo; 02-23-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo

Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 AM
Banned

WP is a great CMS to use, Adsense are the lower potential for revenue.
Start investigating the clicks and the ads and you will see you can do much more while selling ad spots.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Cut out the middleman - or build more sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualwebmarket View Post
WP is a great CMS to use, Adsense are the lower potential for revenue.
Start investigating the clicks and the ads and you will see you can do much more while selling ad spots.

Yes, I could cut out the middleman (google) but the great advantage of adsense is you don't have to get involved with collecting the money

Finance pays $20 to $25 eCPM with adsense - banners pay $5 CPM - so I'm not inclined to go that route, as adsense pays 4 or 5 times more

It may be worthwhile though for some of my other niches

I've followed a tip from someone in another thread and taken a look at my adsense setup/Ad Review Center page - got quite a shock, as one category of adsense ads that makes up 19.2% of impressions on all my sites, earns 61.2% of my total adsense revenue - so more sites to target that niche is now my top priority

One of the sites I built a few months ago on a sub-domain of a free web host is making $45 dollars a month in adsense - and the site took about 3 hours to research, build, and backlink - and it's a hands-off auto content site - not bad for zero cash outlay - only downside is that the site is now valued at $10,532 by eSiteStats - and I don't suppose I could sell it

Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 PM

If you can help me with a thing, what should i do when i will launch my blog. Should i wait until i gain few hundred visitors or when i launch i should put the google ads?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

When to add adsense ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan12 View Post
If you can help me with a thing, what should i do when i will launch my blog. Should i wait until i gain few hundred visitors or when i launch i should put the google ads?

If it's a blog site on a keyword domain then it's a 3 step process

1/ get the site online with several pages of content

2/ get the site backlinked with forum signature, blog commenting, forum new site introduction post, etc.

3/ keep checking for google to index the site (site:yourdomainname.com)

Mark the day the site is indexed by google on your calendar - then wait for 30 days before adding adsense

Google will very likely do a human review of your site within 2 or 3 weeks of finding it, to make sure it's not a "made for adsense" site

Last year was the first time I ever got blog sites "blocked" for putting adsense on them from the start - they're still invisible 10 months later

People I know who don't build blog sites, say its still safe to build "normal" web sites on keyword domains and put adsense on them from the start - seems like the high abandonment rate of blog sites has marked them for special attention from google - but non-blog sites could be next, and I wouldn't take the chance

Last edited by aceseo; 02-24-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: correction

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue