Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Gerrard DG Gerrard DG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 05-03-09
Location: United States
Posts: 37
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Fair Price to Buy/Sell Website

Ok, guys I have a question as I've never dealt with buying/selling websites before.

Suppose a website is earning $100 of PROFIT per day. Just assume the profits have been proven, legit, and accurate. Also, these earnings are passive (minimal maintenance work required). And by the looks of it, this website won't be slowing down any time soon.

What's a fair sale price for this supposed website?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
ScriptMan's Avatar
ScriptMan ScriptMan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-10-07
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 14,016
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Somewhere between 2 and 10 times monthly earnings is about the most recent number I have seen. Where in that range depends on the niche, the buyer and the seller.

Brick and mortar businesses trade at a much higher multiple.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 PM
HTMLBasicTutor's Avatar
HTMLBasicTutor HTMLBasicTutor is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: 10-29-07
Location: Canada
Posts: 26,707
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Somewhere between 2 and 10 times monthly earnings is about the most recent number I have seen. Where in that range depends on the niche, the buyer and the seller.
What if it's a fabulous informational site and doesn't have advertising? It's got to be worth something.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 PM
DigitalAlien's Avatar
DigitalAlien DigitalAlien is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-11-09
Posts: 2,301
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I would price it between $18,000-$24,000 if there is a proven record of $100/day.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 AM
businessservicesuk businessservicesuk is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-26-07
Location: UK
Posts: 393
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Would be nice to get x10 times earnings, my site www.businessservicesuk.com generates in the region of 125,000 per annum, are you guys seriously saying I could get 10 times its annual profit?

I think you would find the figure is more 2 - 3 times

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 05-12-2010 at 12:41 AM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
ScriptMan's Avatar
ScriptMan ScriptMan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 02-10-07
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 14,016
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
What if it's a fabulous informational site and doesn't have advertising? It's got to be worth something.
In that situation one would have to look at the traffic and try to determine what if any revenue could be generated from that traffic. Depending on the info niche that projection might surprise you. High traffic does not necessarily equate to a high conversion rate.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM
artetatu artetatu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 05-06-10
Posts: 13
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Wow $100 per day..my estimate is $2500
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Vlam1989 Vlam1989 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 02-17-10
Posts: 133
iTrader: 0 / 0%
If you have $100/day income of your site, why do want to sell it in the first place?

Back with the topic, I'll sell it for $30k - $40k. Suppose you sell it for $30k, the buyer will soon get the money he spent in just 10 months and the site with $100/day will give him MONEY forever if he manages it well.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Fastian Fastian is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 01-17-07
Posts: 29
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by artetatu View Post
Wow $100 per day..my estimate is $2500
Come on .. That's way too low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlam1989 View Post
If you have $100/day income of your site, why do want to sell it in the first place?
I am wondering the same thing. If you have regular income with minimal efforts, why in the world you will sell it??

Anyway, 8x, 10x, 12x of monthly income seems to be the current selling price. Depends on the seller and the buyer... I think it's mostly 10x the monthly price.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Gerrard DG Gerrard DG is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 05-03-09
Location: United States
Posts: 37
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastian View Post
I am wondering the same thing. If you have regular income with minimal efforts, why in the world you will sell it??

Anyway, 8x, 10x, 12x of monthly income seems to be the current selling price. Depends on the seller and the buyer... I think it's mostly 10x the monthly price.
Seller may be in financial trouble and need a lump sum of money right away. Anyways thanks for all your replies!
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-01-2010, 10:05 AM
sitefocuz sitefocuz is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 04-28-10
Posts: 117
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I wouldn't sell a website like that but if you really want to sell it then don't sell like for anything less than 15,000
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-05-2010, 08:19 AM
sbfc sbfc is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 02-19-10
Location: UK
Posts: 188
iTrader: 0 / 0%
If you are making $3,000 a month then I think you could get a good $20,000 for it at least if you found the right buyer.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 AM
flipfilter flipfilter is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 06-14-10
Posts: 5
iTrader: 0 / 0%
The average revenue multiple on Flippa has recently dropped to just 5x, so you may want to delay any plans to buy a new yacht

Justin
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
drmike's Avatar
drmike drmike is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-22-10
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,745
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfilter View Post
The average revenue multiple on Flippa has recently dropped to just 5x, so you may want to delay any plans to buy a new yacht
Love to see a reference to that.

We always used the 9-12 month profit estimate. That would put it within the $25k-35k range.

I;m sure though that since this thread is over a month old, the original poster has already made up their mind.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 AM
reborn's Avatar
reborn reborn is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 03-01-10
Posts: 342
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard DG View Post
Seller may be in financial trouble and need a lump sum of money right away. Anyways thanks for all your replies!
In some case, seller maybe need a quick fund, maybe need for hospital cost.... they can't make an offer like a normal price....

$18K is normal price to offer ($100 x 6 months)...

If you are in buyer side... you will think about risk of a dropping revenue... like google dance, etc....
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 AM
eonic's Avatar
eonic eonic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 03-28-11
Posts: 35
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessservicesuk View Post
Would be nice to get x10 times earnings, my site www.businessservicesuk.com generates in the region of 125,000 per annum, are you guys seriously saying I could get 10 times its annual profit?

I think you would find the figure is more 2 - 3 times
nice website who did it?

Last edited by snakeair; 05-26-2011 at 08:25 AM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 AM
businessservicesuk businessservicesuk is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-26-07
Location: UK
Posts: 393
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thanks

One of my designers

Hand coded as well...lol how novel eh
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 AM
eonic's Avatar
eonic eonic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 03-28-11
Posts: 35
iTrader: 0 / 0%
nice thought it might be prestashop. We did a site for Mobile Insurance www.mobileinsurance.co.uk, currently 3rd for "mobile insurance" on google not nearly as big a market as yours

Last edited by snakeair; 05-26-2011 at 08:26 AM.
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 AM
businessservicesuk businessservicesuk is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-26-07
Location: UK
Posts: 393
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Nice domain and corporate feel, contextually a little weak but much better than the average dross you see
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
snakeair snakeair is offline
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Since ya'll bumped a old thread, got any comments for the thread creator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard DG View Post
Ok, guys I have a question as I've never dealt with buying/selling websites before.

Suppose a website is earning $100 of PROFIT per day. Just assume the profits have been proven, legit, and accurate. Also, these earnings are passive (minimal maintenance work required). And by the looks of it, this website won't be slowing down any time soon.

What's a fair sale price for this supposed website?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC