Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 07-30-2010, 08:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Do E-books Really Sell?

So lets get down to nuts and bolts....not what you've heard, not what you have read, but what YOU personally know

Do these ebook sites really sell and earn you money? I mean the things like
  • Widget Tooth Whitener
  • Widget Muscle Builder
  • Widget Pay Day Loans

I suppose my problem is that whenever i see that style of site, the long scrolling page, the yellow highlights and the fantastic guarantees, for only $29, i personally hit the back button.

Now i confess i have never bought any so i dont know if the content is any good, i dont know if it works and fulfills the "end users" need for information.

It seems hard to believe that you can buy a domain name, hang the squeeze page and do seo or buy adwords and actually make money from them.

Is Mr or Mrs Average Joe willing to spend their earnings on these products or is it an industry based upon hype and hearsay?

I would love you personal thoughts

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 06:50 PM
v7n Mentor

Well judging by the overwhelming response, it appears not

Dosent anyone have first hand experience that they wish to share about ebooks. Not hearsay, not i read such and such.....but TRUE first hand information?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM
No Longer Active

I think it comes down to who the author is and if a trust factor has been built with their readers. Even after several years my eBook still sells. I am getting ready to write a new one soon but I have never used the long sales page that you referenced. If you look at some top authors, such as Darren Rowse of ProBlogger, his eBook, 31 Days to Building a Better Blog, has been a phenomenal success, along with just about everything he has written.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
So lets get down to nuts and bolts....not what you've heard, not what you have read, but what YOU personally know

Do these ebook sites really sell and earn you money? I mean the things like
  • Widget Tooth Whitener
  • Widget Muscle Builder
  • Widget Pay Day Loans

I suppose my problem is that whenever i see that style of site, the long scrolling page, the yellow highlights and the fantastic guarantees, for only $29, i personally hit the back button.

Now i confess i have never bought any so i dont know if the content is any good, i dont know if it works and fulfills the "end users" need for information.

It seems hard to believe that you can buy a domain name, hang the squeeze page and do seo or buy adwords and actually make money from them.

Is Mr or Mrs Average Joe willing to spend their earnings on these products or is it an industry based upon hype and hearsay?

I would love you personal thoughts
I am agreeing with what Cricket has mentioned. Darren on problogger has had great success with his ebook with the short sales page. Then again he has been a well known blogger for years and has a lot of subscribers who will purchase just about everything he recommends.

I buy ebooks but not a lot of them after i sorta got scammed from a few. The information in the few i am talking about was information i already knew. In fact i could of wrote a ebook about those methods and create a nice landing page on a blog to promote it.

The long sales pages and short sales pages do convert. It's just that certain sales pages may convert better with certain niches and with certain type of audience. Snooks right now i have access to over 190 PLR products i could sell if i buy a domain and add my name into the sales page with my paypal link but those products are PLR and been around the block a few times. I would never try to make a cheap buck selling something that people could find the answer to by searching google. I want my audience to like me and not hate me. Then again i am guiliable and sometimes get sucked in by the sales page and purchase the ebook. A good copywriter can pitch the product very good and hit the right points in the sales page to make you want to know more.

Now if i wrote a ebook myself, i could prolly make some good money in time if i target the current audience my blog get's. I monitor my stats and know what my audience wants. I just have to use this to my advantage when creating a convincing sales page. I am just rambling on right now but the ebook days are very old.

I tend to buy ebooks from very well known SEO gurus or affiliate marketers that have been in this game for many years. They like my mentor and i buy what he or she creates or recommends. lol

Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 AM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for the info. I just cant see how anyone can make money using the same landing page, same ads etc.

Co-incidently i saw on the news out here that an operator very close to me has been charged with fraud, they termed it an Internet Medical Scam, selling ebooks pertaining to cures for cancer etc. The volume of charges were huge and figures involved were in excess of $2.3M (AUD). Probably $1.9M or so US. If theres an article i can find online, i will post the link for interest sakes.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Thanks for the info. I just cant see how anyone can make money using the same landing page, same ads etc.

Co-incidently i saw on the news out here that an operator very close to me has been charged with fraud, they termed it an Internet Medical Scam, selling ebooks pertaining to cures for cancer etc. The volume of charges were huge and figures involved were in excess of $2.3M (AUD). Probably $1.9M or so US. If theres an article i can find online, i will post the link for interest sakes.
You have to be careful when purchasing anything online for the make money online niche. There are people who are out for money only and not out to help other people make money by selling ebooks with information to help you do this.

About 1 or 2 years ago, i was skeptical of the google money kit system and yet purchased it. After i got the information in the mail, i knew right there i was just scammed. After reading the information on the page i am linking you to, i knew i was not alone. lol

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/206399/

I still like to take risk's all the time and purchase stuff. Getting scammed for letting my guard down will only make me a smarter person online. I learn from my mistakes and never give up. Eventually the folks who are really scamming us will get punished by the authorities. They can't hide for ever.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Yes they sell and yes some contain great information. The best information is never given away free.

I personally have sold over 4000 ebooks in three years....so yes it definitely sells.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Ebooks are hot thats for sure.

Im only wondering what a good price range is, also how to sell the ebook itself. I prefer to do it myself because websites as clickbank or ejunkie or what so ever are asking to much interest if you ask me.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprodigy View Post
Ebooks are hot thats for sure.

Im only wondering what a good price range is, also how to sell the ebook itself. I prefer to do it myself because websites as clickbank or ejunkie or what so ever are asking to much interest if you ask me.
Clickbank is not the expensive for a vendor. Just pay the onetime fee to add the product to the database and collect your profits. Having your webiste (ebook site) listed in the clickbank marketplace might also get you some marketers to promote the product giving you free advertising besides you advertising on your own.

Useful information to know: http://www.clickbank.com/help/vendor...endor-charges/

Ebooks i've seen sell for from $7 to $49.95 or more. It just depends on the owner of the ebook and how much he or she thinks it's worth for the amount of information provided in the ebook. Keep the price reasonable so people will purchase it.

Last edited by snakeair; 08-15-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Administrator

I don't like the long winded buy now sales pages either. They are so full of sales fluff it really turns me off.

Agree with Cricket, depends on who the author is and if they have a following that already trusts them. Word of mouth goes a long way to helping a new/not so well known author also.

I have bought a limited number ebooks from sources I know and if they are recommended by someone I trust their judgement.

Some bloggers have done "best of" type ebooks that seemed to sell well, including raising money for charity.

My ebook is still selling after 6 years.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:00 AM

yes y not i personally buy and sell many of e-books

Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

If your ebook provides content not available anywhere else then it'll sell well. If its generic stuff that people can find through articles on the net then users wont spend any money.

Some industries sell better than others as well. For instance finance/investing ebooks usually do well.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Most people selling ebooks by giving stuff away for free like a report or something. There are many successful people out there selling ebooks on a daily basis.

Selling a ebook directly is hard from what I have experienced. Getting them on an email list is much different. You can send out weekly promotions and sell them related products all the time.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Ebook market has been filled with scams and crap. I use to promote 200 quality ebooks. I know the number may surprise you but I read everything I purchased rights to. Sites like the Rich Jerk sell because he put money in advertising and hype. If you try and s ell an ebook without hype / well respected auther your not goin g to sell

Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 PM

No you can't do much much money with only selling e-books. I thaught so, I tried and now I know it takes long long time to gain money

Old 09-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

I like to buy an ebook.

Friends told me about Chinese version can have housand old Chinese books free to read.

It might be a good business to translate those to English.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD wallpapers View Post
No you can't do much much money with only selling e-books. I thaught so, I tried and now I know it takes long long time to gain money
Actually you can make a lot of money selling ebooks. Darren made thousands of dollars by selling his ebook he created. http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...blog-workbook/

Of course he has a huge email list and is already an established guru that people trust. I bought his ebook and also buy other ebooks. Some of them are just really bad but i try to get something out of it to use for myself anyways. Even the really bad ebooks that hardley ever teach you anything new might have a few tips in there that we could use for ourself.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD wallpapers View Post
“Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it” Chinese Proverb

Old 09-28-2010, 01:05 PM

I think you're taking it from an SEO's point of view and I make that mistake alot too..."People will NEVER go for a page like that" but I have been surprised before. The thing that people want are hard facts, to the point bullet points of what the product gives and the highlights of how it will benefit them. These squeeze pages are studied and proven so the experienced people are not just throwing them out there, they are seeing conversions and consistently adjusting them. Trust me they work.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Contributing Member

Post Low Price Point

I have a couple of book selling self-hosted blogs where I provide info on real books along with Amazon links

I've just bought an ebook selling plugin to handle paypal purchases and download links

I know a guy who sells large compilations of PLR ebooks that I can buy cheap - I could then list them on my sites at low price points

What I want to know is what is the low price point that would get you guys to buy ebooks

I expect it will only be a few dollars per ebook - but I need to know

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue