Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Ideal CPM Rate For Blogs

Let's say you run a moderately big blog (> 200K pageviews a month). What CPM rate do you think you will charge or have been charging to direct advertisers? If you do not mind, offer a broad niche - like technology, home improvement, etc.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

$3 to $5 CPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoox View Post
Let's say you run a moderately big blog (> 200K pageviews a month). What CPM rate do you think you will charge or have been charging to direct advertisers? If you do not mind, offer a broad niche - like technology, home improvement, etc.
$3 to $5 for finance/investing - depending on how many thousands of impressions they prepay

Say $5 for 100,000 prepaid and $3 for 1 million prepaid

You should really think about how much the advertising space is worth to you - i.e. how much could you earn if you were running adsense ads, selling ebooks, etc.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Hi,

I would recommend you try combination of both CPC and CPM will work good.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceseo View Post
$3 to $5 for finance/investing - depending on how many thousands of impressions they prepay

Say $5 for 100,000 prepaid and $3 for 1 million prepaid

You should really think about how much the advertising space is worth to you - i.e. how much could you earn if you were running adsense ads, selling ebooks, etc.
Why would the pay go DOWN for 1 million compared to 100,000. Isn't it 10 times more?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

it really depends on teh cpm and quality of your traffic . lets say your traffic has alot of ppc then the cpm should be much higher. if it has very little clicks and just alot of pageviews then cpm should be low range.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

I would look and see what people in your niche are getting. A good place to look is Google's Keyword Tool. Hosting can easily get $10 or as much as $118 CPC. It all depends on how competitive the market it. You can see what people are paying by adding an extra column to the results of the keyword tool. Just enter your niche, like "weight loss". They also have a tool that will just tell you about bids.. Probably a good guide. You can always offer discounts for larger blocks since it will be less work for you. So 200k might be 1000 Dollars and 1,000,000 might be 4000 Dollars. 5 million might be 16 thousand Dollars It really depend on your niche and the quality of traffic. But the Google tools will give you a good idea. https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

Old 12-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member

lol google tools really doesnt work in cpm. I mean adsense is the best really but only for PPC. CPM otherwise is just based on impressions not ctr or anything like that whereas google can't really put a price on impressions.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

I will say it will be $0.50~$1.50

Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

Question How much can you make from ad spot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeplayer View Post
I will say it will be $0.50~$1.50

I've probably said it before - but I'll say it again, it depends on how much you could make yourself from that ad spot

I have a finance blog and sold above post ad spot for $3 CPM to a regular ad buyer

When the ad buyer did not renew on time, I used the ad spot myself to promote a pay-per-lead free ebook download

Using that ad spot myself for several days increased my earnings by $10 per 1,000 pageviews on top of the sidebar and below content ad earnings where I also had ads for the offer - so that ad spot was actually worth $10 CPM to me - and I increased the rate to $10 when the advertiser came back to book some more ads - they took alternative ad position instead, as I would only share the ad spot through a banner rotator, not let them have the ad spot exclusively any more

Since then I've removed or changed position of various ads on the page, and the CPM value of the above content ad spot is even higher now - hard to tell exact value as I have got a mixture of above content, sidebar, below content banners, as well as in content text links - but the total value of all banners and links is $21 per 1,000 page views of my blog for the program - not bad for giving something away free (affiliate program owner collects names and email addresses in return for free ebook or other free finance info)

I've already got my eye on a new niche, where I can earn $7 per lead for requests for a free sample product - that should pay about $70 per 1,000 page views, using a mixture of banners and text links - try getting that sort of money from selling banner ads, or displaying adsense!

Last edited by aceseo; 12-08-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: typo

Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

@aceseo

Well then your lucky but some blog owners arent able to produce that kind of traffic that converts. Sometimes their traffic is just the lazy traffic that are too cheap to buy stuff on the net.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Not luck - planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngeinc View Post
@aceseo

Well then your lucky but some blog owners arent able to produce that kind of traffic that converts. Sometimes their traffic is just the lazy traffic that are too cheap to buy stuff on the net.

It's not luck - it's planning!

I started out making the same mistakes as everybody else - building article directories, etc. that earned peanuts from adsense

I then moved on to video sites - same result - peanuts from adsense

After more than 10 years stuggling to make a living from the Internet, I read something earlier this year about making money from giving stuff away - then it was obvious

There are pay-per-lead affiliate programs where you send a visitor to somebody's site and they capture their name and email before they can download an ebook - or name, email, and postal address, in order to ship a free sample - this is what I'm going to concentrate on from now on, as there is no cost to the visitor - not like they have to buy a $27 or $47 clickbank product (which visitors to my sites don't want to do anymore)

So, why not find an affiliate program for a free giveaway, then build a site to get the leads?

I wouldn't put any other advertising on the site, other than the lead capture affiliate program - but if the site earnings are low, you can always ditch the affiliate program and switch to adsense

Even a modest $1 to $3 per lead program has paid me over $28 a day for the 13 days so far this month - for 1,200 to 1,500 impressions per day

My next target is going to be a $7 per lead program for a free product sample

I may even start building and flipping these types of sites

Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Contributing Member

Volume discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyanator View Post
Why would the pay go DOWN for 1 million compared to 100,000. Isn't it 10 times more?

Sorry for the delay in replying - just spotted the post

It's the CPM cost - i.e. a volume discount for pre-paid advertising

I quoted $5 per 1,000 impressions for 100,000 pre-paid ($500)

I quoted $3 per 1,000 impressions for 1,000,000 pre-paid ($3,000)

My sites are my living - I don't mess about with trivial amounts of income

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue