Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Americans Ignoring Internet Banner Ads

I found this blog post on the WebProNews blog. Please read it before replying. I really hope people don't reply to this thread after reading the thread title only. lol

Quote:
Online advertising is considered a good way to target and reach consumers, but nearly two-thirds (63%) of Americans say they tend to ignore Internet ads, according to a new survey from Adweek Media and Harris Interactive.

Among those who ignore Internet ads, 43 percent say they ignore banner ads the most and 20 percent say they ignore search engine ads the most. Smaller percentages say they ignore television ads (14%), radio ads (7%) and newspaper ads (6%); just 9% of Americans say they don't ignore any of the listed types of ads.

There is little difference in the ads that men and women say they tend to ignore the most. Forty-two percent of men and forty-five percent of women say they ignore Internet banner ads the most while twenty percent and twenty-one percent respectively, say they ignore search ads the most. Somewhat fewer say....
More to read at: Ignoring Internet Banner Ads

Your thoughts on this bit of news and the data that has been provided? If you have not filled in your location in your profile please do this or state the country that you live in when responding.

The only time i click on a banner ad is if it's eye catching and actually something that i am looking for. (Which is not that much) I'm from the USA.

Anyone notice the revenue up or down for the USA audience? This is a interesting blog post.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
v7n Mentor

I think it's accurate about banner ads. They always seem to do worse for me than links.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

I think it's fairly common knowledge that banner ads are one of the least effective forms of advertising online. Text ads are much better because they often look like they are part of a site's navigation, but I think people may well start to ignore these as well as time goes on and people get used to seeing Google Adsense ads everywhere.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw1978 View Post
but I think people may well start to ignore these as well as time goes on and people get used to seeing Google Adsense ads everywhere.
I see just the opposite personally. Links that blend in are the least productive for me. I pretty much use the standard blue link colors as they produce best for me.

I may not be typical, but I look for links if I need more information when I surf.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Banner ads typically appear quite a distance away from the actual content on a page where people focus/read. That, combined with modern day ad blockers, and the effectiveness of banner ads is certainly diminished. However, those that are running banner ad campaigns are to blame as well. Using the same creatives for months is not effective, especially on sites which have a high number of returning visitors.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

I am just amazed by after getting this information.I thought they prefer the search engine ads more than any other ads.It seems they seldom ignore newspaper ads.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Banner ads are like wallpaper you know they are there but it doesn't mean you want to stroke them. Interesting blog none the less.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

Yeah...that's true. actually the blog poster, those just want traffic to their site only but don't provide much related information are responsible for that. This is ethically very bad practice.......
I think all search engine sites should take necessary action against it ...they may do this by forming a administrator body those will seriously check on the first 2-3 pages sites and can make them out from the pages to last if no related efficient content founds.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

They will not ignore well placed and highly relevant ads, I do not click om ads most of the time because I know it cost someone per click for adsense ads but even I click on an ad that has something I am interested in.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

I am getting a lot of CPA conversions through banners but I can't argue with webpronews after they purchased one of my sites for $17K..

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue