Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Improving Your Ad Clickthrough Rate: the Definitive Guide

Very good blog post on the problogger blog.

Quote:
Those people who have been using the Internet as a business platform since it began will have noticed that there has been a significant drop in clickthrough rate of ads over the years. During the birth of this massive revolution people were curious and willing to click on anything that promised them fame and fortune or any of the other things that internet marketers advertise.

Nowadays, however, we have developed a generation of Internet-competent people who have seen thousands of ads thrown at them from all directions. This creates a problem for blog owners who would like their readers to click on their ads so that they can have a bit of pocket money for all their efforts.
Continued at: Improving Your Ad Clickthrough Rate

Your thoughts on this blog post? Any tips to share with us besides what was mentioned?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 05:43 PM

The best - and I do mean ABSOLUTE BEST - way to increase the CTR of a banner is to feature it on a page that gives a compelling review/summary/endorsement of the product/service/whatever the banner is advertising.

Of course, this doesn't apply to Adsense because that's against Google's TOS. That's ok for me - I haven't used Adsense since 2005. I was never all that excited about the prospect of spending time, money, and effort to get people to come to my site just to then try to get them to click off right away.

So for me, I've learned that instead of just slapping a banner up on a featured spot and hoping for the best, by featuring that banner right smack dab in the middle of the content about that banner is the easiest way to blast CTR (and ultimately, conversions) through the roof.

Like the article said - banner blindness is only going to increase as web users become more savvy. Anyone that didn't honestly see the writing on the wall for this as far back as 3 or 4 years ago was only deluding themselves. Now is the time to capitalize on actually doing something "crazy" - like giving visitors value for their time.

Crazy thought I know. Especially to the Adsense fans.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 PM
v7n Mentor

My absolute highest CTR is a website I bought at an expired domain auction several years ago. The guy had listed himself in 100s of free yellow pages listings. After a few months of testing a variety of things I found my highest $$ result was to have nothing but adsense parked on that domain. I've average near 20% CTR for years now.

Part of my point is that the way to up your CTR is to give your traffic what it wants. It no different than anything. Find out why your visitors are coming and fill that need for them.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Yeh i think there's some truth in it. People have wised up about ads so CTRs have fallen, but targeted ads in the right places on the right pages can still be successful.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 AM

Mix the contents and ads at the top section of the site

Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by matifibrahim View Post
Mix the contents and ads at the top section of the site
Any feedback on the blog post i linked us to?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 PM
v7n Mentor

Sure Snake, I'll bite.

To me, the author basically suggested blending in your ads, almost like hiding them so your visitors didn't realize they were ads to prevent "ad blindness". Here's the thing, lots of people want to BS about the reason why their monetization efforts fail. Do you all really want to feed into this BS? Do you REALLY think that hiding the ads are going to help you in the long run? I mean, honestly, this guy is basically suggesting we do the opposite of what honestly works, as a quick fix means to make cash. Has everyone forgotten the basic principles, or maybe never learned them to begin with, about authority, establishing credibility and brand? Do you really think that method is going to keep such things in tact when you wind up pissing your visitors off? *pardon my french, I couldn't think of a better way to put it*

Reality check people. The failures aren't from the banners that people supposedly "ignore", the REAL failure is in the person's failures in what they offered to begin with. If you don't run any analytics to gauge your campaigns and see what works and doesn't, then how the heck can you attribute low click rates with this rampant guru BS of "ad blindness"?

Think about this. There are PLENTY of REPUTABLE companies making money online, and they're doing it with banners and everything else. Why are THEY doing it and Joe Guru can't? Because Joe Guru isn't really a guru and he's spreading chaffe, that you're buying, that it's all because of this new found study or that on "ad blindness".

Hello, most of the studies done are slanted anyways. Why are they slanted? Because it's test subjects looking at ads in a laboratory setting on sites that have no authority to them. Sites that they don't trust. Or it's some guru's study trying to pass off failures to something because he can't internalize the fact that he botched it.

Use your minds, think, reason. If you have a reputable website with authority, don't feed into the BS. You can sell anything you want, as long as you do it in a way that your visitors connect with, and that includes banner ads or not.

Just my two cents.

EDIT
Yes, posts like that, and the mountains of others with BS reasons or scams of money overnight really frost my coconuts. My apologies to all for the verbosity.

Last edited by moneyonlinesorg; 02-07-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Accept low click through rates and get more traffic! To me adjusting colors and stuff gets you a bump sometimes only temporarily though. Often the bump is just chance and not even real. More traffic is a guarantee.

Not saying disregard all other aspects just where most of the focus should be. Just my two cents.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue