Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerino1 View Post
Hello Deepsand,

I believe your statement to be inaccurate. The toolbar offered by Alexa is for getting measurement details that are above the foundational measurement that Alexa performs across all sites, by default. I believe their toolbar is more like Google Analytics. You do not need to use the toolbar for Alexa to rank you. Our site does not use it, as is the case with most sites ranked by Alexa.
No, the Alexa Toolbar (ATB) is not a web analytics application.

Users install the Alexa Toolbar in their browser.

Therefore, traffic data re. any site is limited to visits by users who have ATB installed.

From Alexa Internet - Toolbar Download

Quote:
Alexa could not exist without the participation of the Alexa Toolbar community.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Since writing my first post about alexa ranking 21 days ago, I've smashed through the 10k Alexa ranking barrier. Now 9856. My next target is below 9000.

It's all about providing a good service, offering your visitors quality and updated plus original stuff, SEO, etc.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think there is a linear relationship between the unique number of visitors and your Alexa ranking. My Alexa ranking is now around the 410,000 mark but it was 315,000 6 months ago when my traffic was about 70 percent of what it is now.

Also, I think (I've read so many times) that Alexa is biased towards visitors who do have the Alexa Toolbar installed. If the percentage of visitors with the toolbar installed visit your website, your ranking will be higher.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tallest Man View Post
I don't think there is a linear relationship between the unique number of visitors and your Alexa ranking. My Alexa ranking is now around the 410,000 mark but it was 315,000 6 months ago when my traffic was about 70 percent of what it is now.
It's relative to the traffic of other sites.

Quote:
Also, I think (I've read so many times) that Alexa is biased towards visitors who do have the Alexa Toolbar installed. If the percentage of visitors with the toolbar installed visit your website, your ranking will be higher.
It's 100% dependent on the Alexa Toolbar. Those who visit your site, or any others, and are not using that toolbar are invisible insofar as Alexa Traffic Rank is concerned.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
It's 100% dependent on the Alexa Toolbar. Those who visit your site, or any others, and are not using that toolbar are invisible insofar as Alexa Traffic Rank is concerned.

Doesn't that make it pretty useless? Quite a few of my visitors are a bit older, the average age probably being about 50 years old. The percentage of them that would have the Alexa Toolbar installed would be very low.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Doesn't that make it pretty useless?
Outside of those who really don't understand it, yes, pretty useless.

That is not, though, to say that all Alexa data are useless, as much is gathered through other and more inclusive means. Most, though, focus on the original Traffic Rank.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:30 PM

1) What's your site?
2) What's your 3 month Alexa ranking? and
3) How many hits per day is that equivalent to?

-----

1.) dubbedepisodes.com (trailing 3 months stats)
2.) Alexa Traffic Rank: 129,177 | United States Flag Traffic Rank in US: 24,982
3.) Between 27k - 32k visitors / day | 95k - 125k page views per day
traffic stats according to google analytics

Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
1) What's your site?
2) What's your 3 month Alexa ranking? and
3) How many hits per day is that equivalent to?

1.) thetallestman.com
2.) Alexa Traffic Rank: 388,897
3.) About 2200 unique visitors per day (Google Analytics)

Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Alexa's ranking is somewhat useless for any real metrics. It generally only captures about 10 percent of your traffic numbers, as that's the number of people who have the toolbar installed.

You can also manipulate the ranking very easily.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Well I'm down below 63,000 worldwide and somewhere around 9,000 for the US..getting lower and lower since starting my forum pages

Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrywheeler View Post
Alexa's ranking is somewhat useless for any real metrics. It generally only captures about 10 percent of your traffic numbers, as that's the number of people who have the toolbar installed.

You can also manipulate the ranking very easily.
Yes, I only recently realised that only the visitors who have the Alexa Toolbar installed count towards your Alexa ranking. A very flawed system.

I have also read (on your website) that adding the Alexa Traffic Widget might have a positive effect on the Alexa ranking. how is your experiment going?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Yes, I only recently realised that only the visitors who have the Alexa Toolbar installed count towards your Alexa ranking. A very flawed system.

I have also read (on your website) that adding the Alexa Traffic Widget might have a positive effect on the Alexa ranking. how is your experiment going?

Thanks for visiting & reading my blog post!

The experiment is going well. The site I'm testing this on has shown about a 40-45% improvement globally. About 20% improvement in my country (Canada) and about a 25% improvement in the US.

Yet, if I were to look at the traffic numbers on the site, it hasn't increased, stayed pretty consistent across the 6 days since I've tried the widget.

If you want even more Alexa ranking, Google Entrecard & Alexa ... there's a method to that madness!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 AM

I do not think most of Alexa's ranking is based on traffic. I have a site that gets over 7000 uniques a day and it has a global alexa of 125,000. It goes up and down slightly with traffic rates but I have seen a time when this site had a global Alexa of 60,000 last year. Somehow Alexa has changed things and reporting over the last year. Have any of you noticed this also?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symba5 View Post
I do not think most of Alexa's ranking is based on traffic. I have a site that gets over 7000 uniques a day and it has a global alexa of 125,000. It goes up and down slightly with traffic rates but I have seen a time when this site had a global Alexa of 60,000 last year. Somehow Alexa has changed things and reporting over the last year. Have any of you noticed this also?
I have no clue what exactly is going on with Alexa, but I agree that ranking is not solely based on traffic. My website was offline (through no fault of my own I hasten to add) for 5 days last month and there were no visitors at all. My Alexa ranking went from 410,000 to 388,000. How is that possible if the ranking is website traffic relative to other websites traffic?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symba5 View Post
No, Alexa has not changed its Traffic ratings; such are still simply traffic data gathered by way of their Toolber.

What does change is the universe from which such data are collected, as users add/remove their Toolbar, and as sites are added to/dropped from the sample, and the sliding time window of observations.

See Alexa Internet - Toolbar Download.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
1.) thetallestman.com
2.) Alexa Traffic Rank: 388,897
3.) About 2200 unique visitors per day (Google Analytics)
Just a little update on this since I installed the Alexa Toolbar 2 weeks ago:

1) thetallestman.com
2) Alexa Traffic Rank: 280,220
3) About 2200 unique visitors per day (Google Analytics)

Make your own conclusion.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Quote:
Just a little update on this since I installed the Alexa Toolbar 2 weeks ago:

1) thetallestman.com
2) Alexa Traffic Rank: 280,220
3) About 2200 unique visitors per day (Google Analytics)

Make your own conclusion.
GA data are immaterial to Alexa Traffic Rank.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Alexa data is easily manipulated. I've improved my rankings through my experiment mentioned above by over 1.6 million places.

You can use the Alexa traffic widget to your advantage!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerino1 View Post
Hi John,

Getting in the 10K range is amazing. While I understand your not wanting to give away your stats, could you please at least share the number of daily visits you're getting, so we can correlate to Alexa ranking and so the community will have an understanding of what type of traffic they'll need to move, forward

So far, we're seeing that...

100 Visits per day is roughly a 3M ranking
200 Visits per day is roughly a 1.6M ranking
800 Visits per day is roughly a 100K ranking

There are multiple benefits for the community in understanding all of this. For example, one benefit is that it helps people develop measurement and achievement goals. Another is that we now know which forum members are being genuine or disingenuous when they post the amount of traffic they're getting (just look at other threads where people consistently claim 1K or even 10K visits per day and their Alexa rankings don't correlate). Knowing which forum posters are genuine vs. disingenuous allows us to distinguish who the most trustworthy and competent posters are, allowing people to turn to the right people for the right help.

My Best,

Frank
I say this is nonsense, my Alexa rank is 387,263 and I get roughly 1500 visitors a day. Sometimes it drops to around 700-800 visitors and occasionally hits +2000. According to you, I should have a ranking of under 100,000 easily. I wish that were the case, but it's not.

Either way, Alexa ranking means nothing.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM

my high traffic site getting 1.5k visits and alexa ranking is between is greater than 200k and less than 250k...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue