Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Individualist

ZangoCash - Good or Bad?

Wanting to hear about people's experiences with ZangoCash.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
v7n Mentor

Well I made almost $300 with them last month so I`ll report in when I get my check.... someone else I know makes more and has been using them for a long time w/no complaints.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

I just felt bad about infecting people with spyware

Not saying it's wrong, it's just that it bothered me so I dropped them after a few days. I was getting decent installs but got a few complaints from a few really upset people about what they installed and how they couldnt get rid of it.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:44 PM
No Longer Active

Spyware?

They claim differently on their website:

Quote:
With Zango, users enjoy free access to your content, to all Zango online entertainment and to Zango-affiliated content worldwide. Also, since Zango is very easy to uninstall and never collects or shares personal information, users are respected and protected.
How do they sneak spyware in? Do you know?

Old 03-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Adware

To answer GeorgeB's post, you can direct your unhappy customers to this site: http://www.freespycheck.com/no-adware/

I have no links whatsoever with them (found them in Google) but perhaps it can help "get rid" of obviously cumbersome adware.

It's abundantly clear I'd be very cold at the idea of distributing stuff which doesn't bring real value to my customers, even less if it's an adware that's hard to get rid of.

I'd be curious to know tha address they print on their checks

Old 03-16-2006, 12:51 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webzenstar
To answer GeorgeB's post, you can direct your unhappy customers to this site: http://www.freespycheck.com/no-adware/

I have no links whatsoever with them (found them in Google) but perhaps it can help "get rid" of obviously cumbersome adware.

It's abundantly clear I'd be very cold at the idea of distributing stuff which doesn't bring real value to my customers, even less if it's an adware that's hard to get rid of.

I'd be curious to know tha address they print on their checks
Why the hell would you make your CUSTOMERS download something to use your site? This is for your VISITORS as a way of advertising to earn money. People who use this on sites where they have STORES & CUSTOMERS are just stupid and asking to loose money.

This sort of thing works great on pure SE traffic, kid sites such as buddy icons, etc.

Stores... no no.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:56 AM
No Longer Active

Todd, are you saying that it is ok to lure people into downloading spyware as long as they are not your customers?

Old 03-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Oh-oh someone hit my button! Wind me up and read my rant.
Mike Damman is a mod over at my forum too and just asked about Zango - so am copying what I just wrote. If you want to see how I REALLY feel find the DP post where I get into in with Fryman over this issue.

Download programs like that are usually filled with parasites that steal other affiliates commission - plus adware and spyware that mucks up consumers PCs which causes them to want to add more anti-spyware software. Then the increase in anti-spyware usage cuts into everones legit income because many of these program block legit affiliate ads and/or deletes our cookies.

In the past they have bundled 180 Solutions one of the most notorious parasites. (They maybe still are bundled, just don't want to accuse cuz I don't know for sure at this minute. These bundled apps change all the time which is the scary part. You never know what you are really spreading around.) Here is expert testimony about how they steal commission.
http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/180-affiliates/

Here is a bunch of info about Zango including one of my posts over at DP that got pretty heated:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...es&btnG=Search

There are other program like this too. But in general if its pay per install or pay per download steer clear. Even some of the screensaver and smilie affiliate programs are full of parasites, adware and spyware.

Just say no to download and pay per install programs. They hurt the entire online marketing industry and can take money back out of your own pocket.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry - was trying to edit. Ignore my 1st post and read the 2nd.
Can a mod delete the top post - it's a dup. 2nd one is reformatted.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:26 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre
Todd, are you saying that it is ok to lure people into downloading spyware as long as they are not your customers?
No, and it's not spyware. A LOT of people nowdays are confusing adware with spyware, totaly different. Not only that but it has a removal method.

I`m simply saying you should NEVER distract, or discourage potential/customers with these kind of ad.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:25 PM
No Longer Active

Me personally detest adware just as much as spyware to be honest.

But yeah, there is a difference. And as a non commercial site owner who's visitors are no potential/customers I wouldn't do that to my visitors. It's just wrong.

But that's just me.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:31 PM
v7n Mentor

I've had no idea this thread was going. I also asked others, and when it comes to Zango, "unethical" seems to be the number 1 phrase I get as feedback.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre
Me personally detest adware just as much as spyware to be honest.

But yeah, there is a difference. And as a non commercial site owner who's visitors are no potential/customers I wouldn't do that to my visitors. It's just wrong.

But that's just me.
I don't use it on 'quality' sites, meaning I don't expect my visitors to type the URL into their browser again and EVER re-visit. 100% SE, and MySpace/Xanga/Friendster/Buddy Icon type traffic... aka teeny traffic.

SiteTutor is that your opinion or are you just restating what you heard? As long as the people can remove it, and they don't loose their personal info it's an ethetical way to earn a PROFIT for me.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:53 PM
v7n Mentor

Honestly: I haven't made up my mind completely yet, it's just the type of feedback I have gotten from various sources.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Public perception is key. If consumers complain about not knowing how they got it, about not being able to uninstall it, if it's bundled with Spyware OR Adware that steals commission from other affiliates, if it serves tons of pops or does anything else that make consumers want to run and buy more ad blockers and anti-spyware software that hurts webmaster revenue, then I say don't risk it.

Here is a thread over at DP that got pretty heated. Hope its OK to link to an on topic DP thread there. If not, so sorry and mods can delete.
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=46548

Market with integrity.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:01 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StarAffiliatePrograms
Public perception is key. If consumers complain about not knowing how they got it, about not being able to uninstall it, if it's bundled with Spyware OR Adware that steals commission from other affiliates, if it serves tons of pops or does anything else that make consumers want to run and buy more ad blockers and anti-spyware software that hurts webmaster revenue, then I say don't risk it.

Here is a thread over at DP that got pretty heated. Hope its OK to link to an on topic DP thread there. If not, so sorry and mods can delete.
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=46548

Market with integrity.
While I see your good intentions do you really think people like myself and Alex want to loose good $ by making 'other webmasters' earn more $

I don't sleep better at night knowing I`m allowing other webmasters to earn money, I sleep better at night knowing I can put a roof over my head, and that I`m not doing it illegaly or unethicaly in my eyes.

I don't want to sound like a heartless ass, but really if people are downloading from popups, and installs they pretty much know it's "ADS" they are using... popups, adware, browser enchancements, etc are here to stay... the more webmasters deny the usage the less they`ll make.

I used to use another program that did something similiar but used affil. code hijacking and spyware... I stopped using them when I found out. Installing a 'popup' software or something along those lines that hte user AGREES TO INSTALL is no problem.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

"While I see your good intentions do you really think people like myself and Alex want to loose good $ by making 'other webmasters' earn more $"

Nope not trying to be totally altruistic.

Do you promote anything else? Are you in any other affiliate programs? Do you use Adsense on any sites?

My point is you may make money with this one - but the parasites you spread and the increase in anti-adware and ad blockers can come back to bite your income from other programs.

Additionally Elliott Spitzer, the feds and other legal entities are getting tougher on adware, spyware and malware and affiliate can be and have been held resonsible for spreading this stuff.

Couple articles to read for anyone who is still sitting on the fence on this issue.

Adware Advertisers to be Publicly Humiliated - Digital CarJacking
http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliat...rs-humiliated/

Adware Spyware Abuse Site Backed by Google
"The site will "name not only the program's developers but also its distributors! Maybe this will help make some of the affiliates clean up their act."
http://affiliate-blogs.5staraffiliat...topbadwareorg/

[b]How 180 Solutions IE Zango STEALS AFFILIATE COMMISSIONS[b]
The Effect of 180solutions on Affiliate Commissions and Merchants
http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/180-affiliates/

"During a three-week period in June, Bellevue-based 180solutions routinely seized revenues of online merchants and affiliates by siphoning commissions through a tactic known as "thiefware" or "stealware," according to a report released this week by Harvard researcher Benjamin Edelman."
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._linked10.html

Entire page of charges, illegal installs and other allegations against 180/Zango
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/elh/180-summ.htm

What goes around usually comes back around and this one could come back to bite you. Hope this info helps some people do their due diligence and make an informed decision.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Individualist

Sounds pretty bad.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:20 AM
v7n Mentor

I really don't wanna pi$$ off my visitors, so ... points taken!

Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 AM

I came to know about it today only.. from blueseo blog

Does anybody make a lot ?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue