Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 09-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Question Well, should i put ads on a new site?

Hi,
I'm Daniel and this place looks just about right forum to ask my question. Hope you can help me.

I'm now opening a new niche site. I'm working now on designing the theme in wordpress, and i'm just wondering whether should i put ads (Adsense my case) from beginning, or, just after i gain some traffic?

This issue has several approaches supporting each side:
1) Users don't like seeing ads after they got used to the clear look.
2) Why not putting, "if it won't help, it will certainly won't heart" approach.

Or,

1) I heard that from SEO point of view, it is difficult to promote a site that contain ads, and that ads should be integrated after about 6-12 month.
2) It won't make 10$\month and my Adsense user will be blocked.

Thank you for any kind of response.
Daniel...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM

I would not do it, but instead work on driving traffic first. A site with no ads look appealing and if you don't do any money from it initially, why have it? My 2c

Old 09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Traffic first think of it as an investment plan of attack. Just one thing with wordpress - make sure u regularly change the password and install password login attempt blockers to save yourself from the nasty people out there.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

I agree, work on your website content, make it informatiove and interesting first, try to get as much traffic as you can, and only after hard work for a couple of months try putting ads up on it.
I would advise you using both methods - joining an ad network paying on CPM for banners on your site and placing Google AdSense.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

I don't see why you should not have ads on your website right from the start.

Ads should be tastefully placed and integrated into your design. Of course, visitors do not come to see your ads. They will come if you have quality content. They would not mind if there are ads so long as it does not look like an ad jungle on your website where there are so many ads that you can't see the content at all.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 AM

If you have your ads organized well, then they wont be a distraction. The goal of internet marketing is to make money right? Adsense has always been the first thing I have put on any website. IMO people are used to seeing adsense anyways, so go for it, and make some change in the process.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

First put some good amount of contents,build some traffic from different sources and then put ads and this is the best way that you should follow.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Contributing Member

You can put your adsense from beginning there are no any issue in promotion of site which contain ads.
You heard wrong that it is difficult to promote a site that contain ads. From SEO point of view, no matter of ads just put informative and quality content in your site. collect back links as much as you can from quality and high pr sites.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:12 AM

When ever I start a new NICHE site, I always put google adsense on it. Soon as I have my layout set up. People are used to seeing adsense ads all over the place. Just make sure there look fluent with the page and blend it.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:34 PM

really no problem to have ad from day1. only thing is you need to make sure your site is complete.

dont try ads in work in progress sites.

important point you missed is.. What you will fill in the space if you are not using ad initially.?? will you remove that data while adding ads or expand the size of page (that means changing the layout )

Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

Don't do it. Selling out this early in the game will only hurt you. Build your site with original content and build a good repuation and then decide if you want to do ads.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:08 AM

dont worry about the ads just yet, try reaching 30-50 uniques a day and after that you can hope to earn 1-2$ a day

Old 09-21-2011, 08:33 AM

I would suggest no ads first. A new site with minimal content and no traffic is a big turn off for your few visitors and would give you a high bounce rate on your landing pages, so putting ads would add fuel to the fire. Instead show them a trustworthy content without any ads and they would turn into loyal and returning visitor thus building your visitors. Think of monetization only after you have build up your traffic. It can be any sooner or later not necessarily 6-12 months, can be in a couple of months. If you have traffic you should monetize and then your ads' CTR will also be justified.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 PM

There is nothing wrong with putting ads on new websites. Since you want vistors to return to your website, take care not to put ads which might irritate visitors. So putting pop-up ads, intrusive ads, long loading ads are not recommended. Adsense does not have intrusive ads so you are safe while using them and blend them in your website. Besides since you want to make money, why not start now itself.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, it is a pleasure to have you here and about your site you must first have a steady and constant number of visitors and then think about how you can make money with it because the possibilities are many when you have traffic.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 AM

As a general rule, typical ad revenues are about $2 per 1000 visitors. So if you are only getting small numbers of visitors at the start, how much money are you going to make? Wait and see how many visitors you are getting and how much you'll make before you decide - worst case, you'll only lose a few days revenue as it doesn't take long to put ads on.

Websites almost always look better without ads, in my opinion, so I would consider the small amount of money you lose by not putting ads on at the start as a good investment in getting more return visitors.

Not putting ads on at the start also has another advantage - without ads, you can get good baseline stats on how many people visit your website, how many return and how long they stay on your site. When you start putting ads on, you can check the stats again and see how the ads are affecting them - if you put too many ads on (or if you put them in the wrong places), you'll probably see a decrease in your stats and you'll know it is probably the ads that are causing the problem.

The only exception I can think of is a website where you know people are unlikely to come back anyway, in which case maybe you might as well put ads on at the start.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 AM

I agree completely with LeonforLinks.

Generating traffic is alot easier without ads, and it saves you alot of trouble in the beginning for almost no money at all. (Those first few months of traffic building won't give you much Adsense, while it might even kill some of your traffic).

Alot of people on the internet nowadays are aware how the ad business works, and if you have almost no content but do have ads, people get turned off.

Go for traffic generating, set a goal for yourself and then start slapping Adsense on it.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

I would say its much better to build your traffic before adding ads to your site.

You won;t earn very much with ads until you have decent traffic (10,000+ pageviews per month) anyway unless your site is in one of the few very competitive fields - so best to just leave them off.

Sometimes I add AdSense to new sites simply because it means that the theme I've built for the site will then be able to accommodate ads easily in the future when the traffic is up.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

I was thinking this same thing. I know it's gonna be awhile before getting enough traffic to make any sales with the ads on my site. But decided to go ahead.

But even after putting the affiliate ads on my forum. I'm still having second thoughts on whether I should remove them for awhile. Or just leave them.

Chad

Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk9 View Post
Hi,
I'm Daniel and this place looks just about right forum to ask my question. Hope you can help me.

I'm now opening a new niche site. I'm working now on designing the theme in wordpress, and i'm just wondering whether should i put ads (Adsense my case) from beginning, or, just after i gain some traffic?

This issue has several approaches supporting each side:
1) Users don't like seeing ads after they got used to the clear look.
2) Why not putting, "if it won't help, it will certainly won't heart" approach.

Or,

1) I heard that from SEO point of view, it is difficult to promote a site that contain ads, and that ads should be integrated after about 6-12 month.
2) It won't make 10$\month and my Adsense user will be blocked.

Thank you for any kind of response.
Daniel...
In my opinion and in my experience. I tried to put adsense first and now Im suffering because the traffic down. Do not recommend Ads/adsense in a newly publish site.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue