Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Question Website Ideas for Beginners

Hi guys,

I have been studying e-commerce and marketing for a few months and playing around with a few business ideas, but they all seem to be out of my range of expertise or budget. At this point I'm just looking to stop reading so much, and actually get my feet wet and practice some marketing strategies and maybe make a little passive income on the side.

I'm looking for some basic and budget-friendly startup ideas that will let me practice a range of these marketing techniques I've been reading about. I do have hosting space, I just need some ideas of business models so I can just pick one and run with it and get some experience (for instance, someone was talking about a wallpaper site).

I'll appreciate your advice.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

That's interesting. You're asking us to give you our ideas so you can monetize off them, correct?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Sure, isn't that what this forum is all about?

I'm not pushing junk products, just asking for advice. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Ok, let's narrow this down a bit, which of these models are you most interested in:
  • Your own product
  • Sell someone else's product and have them drop ship for you.
  • Sell someone else's product where you warehouse and ship the product(s) yourself.
  • Affiliate marketing?

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:17 PM

Hi HTML,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any space for warehousing, so dropshipping is something I've considered, but I've been thinking more along the lines of some kind of service or application (directory, forum, etc.), but preferably one that doesn't require a whole lot of technical skill to get off the ground. I'm willing to put in a lot of work initially, but I favor models that are ultimately low-maintenance.

Just wondering how people typically get started, what I might try, avoid, etc.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:53 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

"To practice without theory is to set sail an uncharted sea; theory without practice is not to set sail at all." And you are currently nowhere near the sea.

First of all, without a clear idea what you wish to do (or at least in which field) you have no chance. Then you have to develop the idea, find a competitive edge, something which makes it unique. After that comes the hard part, realizing the project and developing it. No one can really tell you the common mistakes since you haven't got the idea yet, and every market niche has its own traps. In short, narrow it down even more.

Low-cost, directory, forum, profits from advertising...
A unique service website, profits from direct sale...

I've skipped production parts because they require a greater investment. People usually get started by improvising. Something will work, and other things won't. Chances are you won't get rich overnight.

Good luck

Old 12-15-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
No one can really tell you the common mistakes since you haven't got the idea yet, and every market niche has its own traps. In short, narrow it down even more.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
Chances are you won't get rich overnight.
No indeed. Although ironically, that's what these million-dollar Internet gurus are promising their unfortunate customers in their e-mails and exorbitantly priced e-books and courses. I guess that's where the money's at, if you can sleep at night doing that sort of thing. I just want to run my own show and do it on a shoestring, 'cause that's all I got

Old 12-15-2011, 11:52 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klo View Post
I just want to run my own show and do it on a shoestring, 'cause that's all I got
Well, try it then. Online businesses require the smallest amount of capital in comparison to regular ones. You need around 70 USD to get initial hosting + a website. Depending on your level of knowledge and time, you can design a simple site yourself, or ask some junior designer if he would be willing to do it for free (he gets the benefit of promotion and a reference for his portfolio). Make a detailed plan and execute it. Marketing is only one site of the coin and in order to perform it well, you need a good product.

I have remembered two general mistakes which happen to almost every beginner. First is being greedy and expecting profits to come instantly. Regular business plans are made for years in advance. Second is choosing the subject that doesn't interest you just because some articles on the internet say it's very lucrative. Without a decent amount of interest, you'll have a hard time motivating yourself and quit at the first sign of trouble.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the advice, kju385. I'm trying to work out my website situation, as currently I have hosting space with Weebly for another year and a half. I'm wondering if I should just host my own site right from the start, or make do with what I already paid for and switch it over when my contract with them is up to save hosting fees. I anticipate that could be a gigantic headache...

And if I do go with a different host right off the bat, I was thinking of trying Elance for a designer but I'm a little leery there too. Anyhow... let the big giant mistake-making commence!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I'd reccomend doing a topic you're interested in. Will make you much happier in the long run.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_anthony View Post
I'd reccomend doing a topic you're interested in. Will make you much happier in the long run.
Did you bother to read the whole thread or are you posting for post count?

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Did you bother to read the whole thread or are you posting for post count?
Just read the first post and answered it accordingly. My advice is good though isn't it.?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I really wouldn't recommend choosing a monetization method before you choose a topic that your site will be about, because the topic will determine the best method of monetization. Just do what you love and the rest will fall into place.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Better you start with Network marketing companies which uses e-commerce as basic platform because with network marketing company you can learn the basic of business which is very useful in any business. As well as you will have a product to promote!!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well you can set up a site on service like SEO/linkbuilding.Or you may set up a site on areas you are expert.You also can set up reseller business.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 PM

Look into affiliate marketing. Amazon is a good place to start since they sell just about everything.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klo View Post
And if I do go with a different host right off the bat, I was thinking of trying Elance for a designer but I'm a little leery there too. Anyhow... let the big giant mistake-making commence!
Have you managed to make any progress in these three months? Were there any unforeseen problems?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM

Has it been 3 months... golly

Despite running around like a headless chicken with ADD all I've managed to do thus far is write a number of half-decent articles. I did find a good market for them though, so I won't cry about it

Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Time flies when you're having fun. So you became a writer instead? Have you given up completely or just for the time being? I'm curious

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM

No sir! I haven't.

I'm always working on something... or some 15 things. You know what they say about variety

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue