Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Administrator

How Much Should You Charge For Advertising On Your Blog?

Yaro Starak of entrepreneurs-journey.com has a post today about selling advertising on your blog:
Quote:
Iíve made money using this method since the early 2000s. It started off as a trickle Ė my first ad sale was direct to a small business for $50 a month for one banner on my card game website. From that point forward Iíve grown my income from direct ad sales to the point that Iíve made as much as $5,000 a month from it, and at least $1,000 a month from direct ad sales for ten years straight.
How Much Should You Charge For Advertising On Your Blog?

What to you think of his plan?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM
v7n Mentor

From the article it isn't clear if the monthly profit numbers reflect only one blog or all of his blogs combined. Also, I've noticed three blank spots for advertisments on the left hand side which makes his plan/story a bit less credible. Niche analysis is interesting, as well as the "magic" formula. Overall impression is good, an article to help you with your thought process. The last part is very educational

Quote:
One last tip Ė If you think you can only charge $10 per month per ad, itís probably best you wait and build up your traffic before you go after direct sponsors. Use affiliate ads in your ad zones for now. Thereís no greater statement that your site canít deliver much results to sponsors than charging next to nothing for ads.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

I think it pays better than Adsense but
Quote:
You can charge X dollars per month, per ad, with X being equal to your daily visitors count divided by ten.
those numbers sound a little high to me. I would love to hear the opinions of others.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
Also, I've noticed three blank spots for advertisments on the left hand side which makes his plan/story a bit less credible.
To be fair to this observation: He had a trying year last year. He spent his days at the hospital with his mom. Maybe the ball dropped a bit keeping this up.

My Most Challenging Year Part 1: When Family Tragedy Strikes

My Most Challenging Year Part 2: A New Business Is Born

Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
To be fair to this observation: He had a trying year last year. He spent his days at the hospital with his mom. Maybe the ball dropped a bit keeping this up.

My Most Challenging Year Part 1: When Family Tragedy Strikes

My Most Challenging Year Part 2: A New Business Is Born
Oh, didn't see that. My observation wasn't personal, since the blog talks about advertising, it is only logical to look at the advertisments on it. Family things of such magnitude make everything seem less important

Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, didn't see that. My observation wasn't personal, since the blog talks about advertising, it is only logical to look at the advertisments on it. Family things of such magnitude make everything seem less important

Well only if you are a real human. I suspect all of us have experienced or has that that to look forward to in the future. It is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

I personally base my prices on my daily traffic, what my competition charges and of course the most important part of it all, what I think my advertising spot is worth. And to be honest, since I ranked for my top keywords, I haven't had any problem and I always had my ad slots sold out.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:56 AM

Good method, you start sell cheap your first ads, then invest money in the site(trafic, links, articles) and then raise the price for your ads.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM

First of all you need to make your site awesome. You should be careful to the design of your blog. Then to generate traffic to your site you can do SEO jobs. It is very effective to generate visitors to your site.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

I wrote a little guide on selling ads directly to advertisers a little while ago, and I think it still holds up to scrutiny.

My basis for determining what to charge advertisers goes along the lines of running AdSense (or whichever ad network you find works best on your site) in that adspace first and working out how much you earn from that (let's say $100/month for this example).

Most ad networks take around a 50% cut, so the advertisers paying through those ad networks to advertise on your site are paying $200/month - a figure that I would use as the base rate to start negotiations.

Once you have one advertiser paying $200/month and then other advertisers ask to run ads, then you can increase the price according to market demands. So you could ask the second advertiser for $250/month. If they are happy with that and a third potential advertiser comes into the mix then increase the price again to maybe $300/month. You can keep upping the price as long as the advertisers remain interested, until the advertisers start stopping asking for ads so often and you know that you've gone a little too high or found your plateaux.

This method has worked for me in various niches, with ads now going for up to £200/month per ad on some relatively small sites in the right niches.

The idea with advertising (just like selling any product) is charging as much as the market will bare for the volume of sales you're after.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

You will sell ads for as much as you get clients to pay for

I sell ads on my blog: 150Euro top banner, 100Euro an advertorial etc. But this doesn't mean all my sites in the network get such clients and can earn this much.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
My basis for determining what to charge advertisers goes along the lines of running AdSense (or whichever ad network you find works best on your site) in that adspace first and working out how much you earn from that (let's say $100/month for this example).
Since it reports your link as unavailable at the moment, I'm wondering how exactly can you determine from Adsense the average amount the advertisers use? I don't believe there are any official statistics. If I understand correctly, you simply use the amount you earn monthly, and offer the doubled amount to potential advertisers. If they accept, for the next one you increase your offer. What is the minimum amount of earnings/month when you begin to apply this technique? In your opinion naturally

Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

You're right - there are no official statistics and Google have said themselves that it does vary quite a bit. However, I would be amazed if their average take wasn't in the region of 30-50% as that is pretty much standard across the board of other ad networks.

Some people have done some small-scale studies (although sources escape me at the moment) and found the above bracket to be roughly accurate although with a little more variation than they expected.

I start to apply the technique as soon as advertisers start offering to buy ad space on the site. If you are going out and actively selling your ad space then you need to be much more cautious with price increases, but if the advertisers are coming to you then you have the stronger bargaining position.

PS - the site is now back up, for some reason Bing decided it would hammer it and run through 2GB data in a few days just indexing. Ouch

Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
PS - the site is now back up, for some reason Bing decided it would hammer it and run through 2GB data in a few days just indexing. Ouch
Ouch

Very nice article and sort of guide. Another question, have you determined any niche differences during your research? Yaro mentions car companies as a positive example, and general consumables as a negative one.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah there are huge differences between the niches.

I manage a popular music blog and the rates we get for that are notably less than for technology - entertainment is rarely a money-spinner. Finance offers by far the best eCPMs of any niches I'm involved in though.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Read the article and its just an awesome post to read I would say.I am not selling adspace from my blogs since I am using adsense but nice to see that I can charge around $50 per month as I have more than 500 visitors in some of my blogs.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Yeah there are huge differences between the niches.

I manage a popular music blog and the rates we get for that are notably less than for technology - entertainment is rarely a money-spinner. Finance offers by far the best eCPMs of any niches I'm involved in though.

I would also add that there are huge differences between the countries as well. You can spot them in adsense, from my experience (2 blogs-one english, second-croatian, both mostly revolving on financial topics) average CPC for english websites is at least 3 times higher than non-english ones.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I would also add that there are huge differences between the countries as well. You can spot them in adsense, from my experience (2 blogs-one english, second-croatian, both mostly revolving on financial topics) average CPC for english websites is at least 3 times higher than non-english ones.

I think you will be honest in your opinion. Could that difference be explained by sheer numbers? By that I mean the audience the ads will reach? And their available money to spend on the subject?

I do not mean to infer anything, I know you won't take it that way but I want to state that for other readers who might come later.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

The eCPMs of ads to US/UK/DE/etc countries tends to be higher than the rest of the world at the moment because those are the places with the highest wages and the populations with the highest disposable incomes - meaning they have more money to spend on the advertiser's products or services.

On pure language terms (non-geotargeted), then I would guess that not only would English encapsulate the wealthy nations of US/UK/CA/AUS/NZ, and so have a similar effect as geotargeting above, but also as your say - English has become the defacto universal (often 2nd) language , and so the pool of advertisers is higher pushing the prices up.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I think you will be honest in your opinion. Could that difference be explained by sheer numbers? By that I mean the audience the ads will reach? And their available money to spend on the subject?
To be honest, I'm not really sure if the difference could be explained through audience nor the available money from the advertisers. Depending on a country size, the numbers should be about the same when put in percentages. Large market, large budgets - small country, small budgets. Direct advertising for my local market is said to earn as much as the international (english) websites/blogs. I'm guessing the difference is found in competition and in quality. There is a greater number of international advertisers for English and all ads are not geotargeted. Meaning a company from Canada, Australia or Britain can compete for all english sites, regardless of their origin or target audience. Which in effect raises the CPC. On the smaller markets (non-english based) competition isn't as fierce.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue