Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Is this a realistic goal?

Hey everyone,

I started a blog a couple of months ago (techod.com) and I want to be earning $200 per month in 18 months time, is this a realistic goal?
I plan on writing 5 articles per week with some off-page SEO work.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN2 View Post
Hey everyone,

I started a blog a couple of months ago (techod.com) and I want to be earning $200 per month in 18 months time, is this a realistic goal?
I plan on writing 5 articles per week with some off-page SEO work.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
This is a realistic goal that can be achieved with being dedicated.

One blog i always visit to get me motivated to blog is problogger.net

At least 3 to 5 articles per week is a good goal to stick to. Try to leave a day or two for people to comment on your blog posts.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Good, I wasn't sure if I was being too ambitious or not.

Thanks for the tip, it seems like a decent site.

What do you mean by leaving a day or two for people to comment? A day or two between posts?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Yes very realistic desire. But you need to be consistent.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Me saying leave one or 2 days between posting another blog post is because you need to give at least a day for people to find the blog post and to comment on it if they have something to say.

I try to respond to any blog comment on my blog. Let my visitors know i'm not a robot who pumps out blog posts and interested in there comment's. Usually they will stick around for a long time knowing the blog owner is active on the blog.

Good luck with your goal.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

$200 per month in 18 months is more than realistic, if anything you may be aiming a bit low.

Aim for $200 per day and if you only end up with $200 per month at least you won't be too disappointed.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:15 AM
Contributing Member

Seems really relistic to me. If fact, if you do it correctly don't think you need 18 months to achieve it. One lesson that I've learned is try to create as many stream of online income as you can cope (e.g. blogging, article writing, affiliate marketing etc...).

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Yeah $200/month after 18 months seems low, you should be doing way more than that but it can be difficult getting traffic to blogs, maybe try picking a keyword with decent traffic and then working on seo

Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Just remember to share each post on leading social networking and bookmarking sites...try to get maximum exposure with every post.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Me saying leave one or 2 days between posting another blog post is because you need to give at least a day for people to find the blog post and to comment on it if they have something to say.

I try to respond to any blog comment on my blog. Let my visitors know i'm not a robot who pumps out blog posts and interested in there comment's. Usually they will stick around for a long time knowing the blog owner is active on the blog.

Good luck with your goal.
Ah I see... I do get comments at the moment but unfortunately nearly all of them are from people spamming links to their own sites, so I've stopped looking frequently. Although I'll make more of a point to check them on a daily basis, even if I only got a couple of loyal readers out of it, it would still be something.

Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven3 View Post
$200 per month in 18 months is more than realistic, if anything you may be aiming a bit low.

Aim for $200 per day and if you only end up with $200 per month at least you won't be too disappointed.
Thanks for your input. To be honest, I had absolutely no idea what I should be aiming for, but the last thing I wanted to do was aim too high only to set myself up for disappointment. Judging by how the site's traffic has been going since the site started, I seriously doubt that I could achieve anywhere near $200 per day, but you're definitely giving me encouragement to achieve more than I was initially thinking of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huasang View Post
Seems really relistic to me. If fact, if you do it correctly don't think you need 18 months to achieve it. One lesson that I've learned is try to create as many stream of online income as you can cope (e.g. blogging, article writing, affiliate marketing etc...).

Hope it helps.

Cheers!
Excellent! It would definitely be ideal to achieve $200 per month even after 12 months. Again, the last thing I'd want to do is set the bar too high, only to be disappointed.
I've actually looked at other revenue streams like affiliate marketing and article writing, but due to the somewhat limited time I have, I wouldn't want to spread myself too thin and not achieve anything at all. What I had planned on doing is putting as much time as I can into this blog, then leveraging the blog's traffic to open up other revenue streams. Does that seem like a reasonable idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemo View Post
Yeah $200/month after 18 months seems low, you should be doing way more than that but it can be difficult getting traffic to blogs, maybe try picking a keyword with decent traffic and then working on seo
To be honest, now that the site is up and running and that I'm writing content and doing on-page and off-page SEO, it does look like it is going to be extremely difficult to get the sufficient amount of traffic required to achieve even $200. The site is still young though, so I'm not to think too negatively about it.
As for picking a decent keyword and working on SEO, are specifically about and article, or the site itself? Nearly every article I write I've been researching the keyphrase with Google's keyword tool, then optimizing the page, yet it doesn't seem to be doing much good, I've only got one article on the first page of Google, which happens to be the number 1 spot, as well as on Bing and Yahoo, for the term "who unfriended me". I think my problem is that I'm not spending enough time on off-page SEO for them to rank well. The only thing I've been doing is commenting on Facebook pages, creating a FB page for some of them, submitting them to Digg, Twitter, Stumbleupon and Redit. That's pretty much it. I'm not entirely sure, but I think I should probably be looking to continue the off-page SEO for each article after the day it is posted. Do you or anyone else have any input on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknel View Post
Just remember to share each post on leading social networking and bookmarking sites...try to get maximum exposure with every post.
That's pretty much all I've been doing really, on the day of posting the articles anyway. I should probably be doing a bit more than that, but I'm not too sure...

Thanks for all the replies everyone, they've been encouraging!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 AM

With proper dedication $200 can be nothing and you can make much more.

However, it also depend on the amount and quality of users you'll attract.

If you see, the users you attract don't make you money, consider trying to attract others. Until you find you profitable niche.

This might take you most of the time, but once you attract the good users, your work will be much easier.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Yea mate, $200 is extremely realistic with dedication. Depending on your niche as well average CTR is usually 2% but more if you work on ad placement and have great content. I always find that you will be successful when you focus on the content, making sure new visitors come and revisit the site! You should be able to achieve this sooner than you think with lots of dedication. Good luck!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue