Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Lightbulb Pure Luck Or Signs Of A Working Site Model??? Surprise Adsense Start

Hey everyone its been a while since I have had time to come back and browse here but I feel I have to because I literally learnt so much of what I know from here and without this site I would still be lost with so many issues but before I get sidetracked I will get right on track.

I am only going to talk about 2 websites I currently run in a way these are my 2 main sites but I also have multiple projects going on ranging from offering quick easy services on Fiverr (great results), CPA blogs, Link Directories and more.

Basically I started with my online ventures building a site on Joomla 1.6 which appeared as a review site but in simple terms choose high quality but great value consumer electronics such as computers, laptops and cameras you get the idea and rewrote the specifications and features in a more interesting yet simple way. The idea behind the site was a simple no nonsense product review site and its revenue came from Amazon Associates and Adsense. Now this site was UK targeted however does also feature a link from some products to Amazon where the same product is on both UK and US Amazon sites. I had success with both Amazon earnings and Adsense and still do but it goes up and down depending on how much time I invest.

Now here is where we start getting to the main part of this post but I have been working on a Joomla 1.7 website around the same model as before but targeting the US Amazon the .com one as the US is much bigger then the UK so more potential customers to target. Now the site I built on 1.7 is very similar to the previous one but has a much cleaner fresh feel and is a joy to the eye and the content is of a higher quality as I really put a lot of work in.

Now I have had the site open to the public as Google started sending me 1 or 2 hits a day with no real links just a few Yahoo Answers ones so of course I was also getting traffic from there. Now around 5 hours ago I turned on the Adsense and checked 3 hours later to find 9 views and 2 clicks and then I check an hour later and 3 clicks and 11 views now I know there is no real way to predict but could this be a sign this sites layout, content etc is working very well and I am pulling in the correct customer base. I have never experienced such a rush like this of course I have had bursts but it seems these clicks are from Answers traffic which is not usually the case with my other sites.

What do you think this is a sign of a working site??? Or just a random burst???

Just thought I would share this as maybe one day this will be of use to some one out there asking the same question

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelderkin View Post
What do you think this is a sign of a working site??? Or just a random burst???
Depends on your definition of working site, however, in a monetary sense it's a good start. Could be simple luck or some company having a campaign closely related to your site through adsense, who knows? I wouldn't give it much thought. Hope you've set all in compliance with adsense TOS. Focus rather on the traffic at first. If the traffic increases over time, it's a working site. Ad revenue will follow suit with time.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

You must have a well monetized website. I would say this is a great start Now you just have to keep the traffic up and make sure you're not breaking any of Googles rules. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

I can assure you I am a OK when it comes to Adsense's TOS as this is not my first site using the method, plan, site type etc etc and I am not one of these who feels the need to click my own ads or ask others to do so lol never quite got why people done that and risk losing such an important count.

As for the traffic believe me I know I have to keep the traffic coming now I know a fair bit is coming from Yahoo Answers and I make sure to spend some time each day plus I use a few programs to not automate but just helps me find and group together answers I could most likely drive traffic from basically just makes it quicker then just using a browser and works great because I am still writing a unique comment for each answer.

However the site model in general of traffic, time spent,pages visited and all the rest are up compared to my other site almost identical just for a different country and a slightly different Joomla set-up (new one is an improve almost like a major site update).

I guess it is true you learn more getting stuck in with SEO, building sites, promotion, monetizing and so on then you could ever do sitting reading books (you do still need to do lots of reading tho lol)

Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

I guess it's the sign of a working site! maybe you should write an eBook explaining how you do that and offer it online! Many people would be interested to read it!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:26 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelderkin View Post
I can assure you I am a OK when it comes to Adsense's TOS as this is not my first site using the method, plan, site type etc etc and I am not one of these who feels the need to click my own ads or ask others to do so lol never quite got why people done that and risk losing such an important count.
Don't get me wrong, glad you are familliar and experienced with Adsense. I've talked to people who got banned because of the ad placement, which was basically set up to trick people into clicking. You couldn't find head or tails on their website(s), just some text wrapped in ads. At first they got fantastic CTR and high digits in income, which drawed attention to their site from google resulting in a ban. So when I hear high CTR, first question that comes to mind are Tos regulations.

Well, there is practice (design, SEO, ...) and then there is theory (books, seminars, videos). Using them both at the same time can be the wisest approach.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Contributing Member

Tbh I've never really been one for seminars or buying ebooks courses etc but I do love forums I have learnt more from a year reading forums and then trying new methods then any seminar could ever teach me.

As for Adsense TOS my ads are not placed to trick users to click as if anything I would prefer then to click the product link through to Amazon and buy but because Google personalizes ads to what people search on Google (you all must of noticed that most of the time the ads shown are products and related niches you have been searching for)

If I ever see a big increase in CTR, Clicks etc I would report it to Adsense as I would never risk my Adsense account for fraudulent clicks because I have 5 sites running Adsense and I feel it is essential for the type of sites I run.

A quick update on this front my CTR from this new site is converting much better (traffic is still low from Google, Yahoo etc but bringing lots from Yahoo Answers but not spamming high quality answers and I have multiple accounts all of which I fill profiles as I believe in doing a job properly when it comes to building awareness and promoting a site.

I think it is safe to say that the overall fresher more web 2.0 professional look to my new site has helped in bringing up CTR and will continue adding and changing stuff to increase this more.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue