Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Strategic places to put Ads?

Hey guys!

Please list out the best and strategic places to place ads on a home page and internal pages. List out the places in order of priority. I would prefer comments from guys with expert views and who have done research on ad placement.

Thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

There's various theories about ad placement with various networks and advertisers asking for different things, but Casale Media did a study on the science of ad placement which is a useful starting place.

Generally the best places for ads are where users will notice them - which means it is different for each site design. Ads above the fold like leaderboards (728x90px) mean that users will see them before they start reading the page - giving the advertising a split second to grab the user's attention. The large 300x600px sidebar ads also tend to do quite well as they remain down the side of the page throughout a user reading an article - and their large size can mean you can run high quality rich media ads.

But, it is different for each site as I said - for example if your site gets a lot of commenters then you may do well by including a small 468x90px banner ad just above the comment form as that will get a lot of eyeballs for you.

Last edited by snakeair; 07-11-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: merged dup posts

Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I assume we all are familiar with this picture:
http://www.my-blog-review.com/wp-con...otspot-Map.png
Of course this image is meant for Adsense, but it applies to other ads as well. We have come to a conclusion that ads on the left side get clicked more often. Plus, go for large block ads only, forget the 468x90 and smaller ads. Last not least, make sure not to place more than one ad above the fold. It may pay much better, but Google makes sure you loose a huge search engine traffic by doing so.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by seotrafficsearch View Post
Hey guys!

Please list out the best and strategic places to place ads on a home page and internal pages. List out the places in order of priority. I would prefer comments from guys with expert views and who have done research on ad placement.

Thanks
Can you tell us what type of site that you run or screenshots?

It would help suggest some locations.

Not all locations work for each website. Some spots may work well for others while other folks make pennies.

Typically on blogs, a 250x250 or larger block at the end of the blog post or aligned to the left of the beginning of the blog post converts well. Although it may not work for other blogs. Google even has some templates for recommended locations that they think works best.

Check out this post by Google: https://support.google.com/adsense/b...n&answer=17957

I agree with that masm50 has mentioned already.

Last edited by snakeair; 07-14-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Right hand sidebar the first thing.
2 ads for an post. small banner
1 banner at header

Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Have to agree with the..."different sites different locations"..

Used to place political ads in the upper right hand corner...if available...)

Try to see where you visitors eyes will focus when they first see your page.....
If you have a multi page site ...that could change from page to page..
my2cents....))

Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 AM

It seems to me the best placement is where the most eyeballs go. Find out what people are looking at the most on your site then place ads accordingly.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM

The closer to the top the better, but usually more expensive. Make sure that whichever site you choose to put Ads on, corresponds to your demographic. You'll get a much higher CTR.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:41 PM

Usually the recommended spots are above the fold and larger sized ads for better performance.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue