Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 AM

Exclamation Can traffic generating scripts make site traffic measures meaningless?

Hi,
While surfing on the web looking for some analytics technical information I came across this article: blogs.yu.edu/cpa/2012/06/22/experimenting-on-how-to-generate-fake-web-traffic-to-artificially-increase-analytics-metrics/

That blog post seems to be a quick & dirty test but It seems to be quite easy to improve the idea and forge more realistic traffic patterns.

Having so many experts in this blog I wondering I somebody can help me understand, how this kind of fake traffic is being currently filtered out from i.e. paid online advertising????

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 07-03-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 02:48 AM

I once bought an advert on a website, a few months in I noticed I was getting a high number of visitors from china, bearing in mind this website said they had lots of visitors from america. So I started looking into it, what was happening was this guy had a iframe that was tiny in his footer so it counted as a valid hit in google analytics. I ended up creating a filter in google analytics to wipe out any hits from that site, as they were all useless.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 AM

most of these are generated by bots so you should expect a ton of fake traffic.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue