Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 AM

Adblock - how many users are blocking?

Hi there!

Judging from the usage statistics from Adblock Plus and a survey conducted by the author, I'm estimating 300k users knowingly blocking ads in my small country of Switzerland alone.

Does anyone of you actually measure, how many of your page impressions don't deliver ads? I'm interested in some hard data for scientific purpose, in order to put a solid number on minimum revenue lost.

Thanks for your answers!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 AM

I am also interested to know the same fact. Personally i don't use adblock though.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Banned

AdBlock is a great addition to the modern browsers. How annoying is it to visit a site with pop ups that never go away? The common family member is usually unaware of the simple clicks on a few ads and a virus has now been implemented into the operating system. I use it for the sake of maintaining my computer at a safe and operational state. Friends hardly know of the repercussion of the DirectX and fake Flash installers... so why even risk it?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:56 AM

Israeli startup ClarityRay measured 9.2% overall adblock. Naturally, they also offer the solution

But I'd like more numbers. Preferably from webmasters monitoring their own site. I installed the easy script from saurdo.com myself. There is also a more complicated one using mysql to store the results and the Honeypot-project to filter bots.

Please measure and share. Thanks

Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM

I have been using adblock since last 2 years.. in order to surf web easily.
Also to avoid fraud click on my adsense.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM

I wonder the same question, but am also a user of adblock. I wish they had a version on my cell phone too. Cell phone ads are far worse than Desktop ads, since the cell phone screen is so small!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Adblock, heard about it for the first time! WHat do you think, will this adblock will be harmful for webmasters?

I am putting a lot of energy in making my website to earn some $. and this little thing will ruin our efforts!

Please let me know in detail about it. Thank You!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediworm View Post
Adblock, heard about it for the first time! WHat do you think, will this adblock will be harmful for webmasters?

I am putting a lot of energy in making my website to earn some $. and this little thing will ruin our efforts!

Please let me know in detail about it. Thank You!
Get out of the mindset of using your site as a sole income source. I've divested out of this thinking and now use my site to provide a service for individual product promoters.
Being paid to test blog plugins has helped alot for me.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Get out of the mindset of using your site as a sole income source. I've divested out of this thinking and now use my site to provide a service for individual product promoters.
Being paid to test blog plugins has helped alot for me.
Whatever you say but this internet buisness has influenced so much that many people are solely dependent on this for their earnings!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

My reply is off topic but should serve members well. Since I have a site or two that serves ads I never tried to block them. Then a rather large forum site that I visited daily had used this annoying popup ad at the bottom of every page. I do mean every page.

I now use ad blocker and I don't see any of their ads. Actually I don't see any ads anywhere that aren't hard coded.

My advice is don't piss off your visitors. They will either leave your site or block all of your ads.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Wink

Quote:
Whatever you say but this internet business has influenced so much that many people are solely dependent on this for their earnings!
don't get me wrong, I understand the need to make your sites very profitable. But like many do, they get excited in being accepted into certain programs and then put all of their eggs into on basket.

I tend to form partnerships and jv's with folks of the same mindset. I dget outside the normal workgroups of all the SEO, serp, and other BLAH BLAH that certainly bores the hell out of me.
I look for site users that are looking to get as much from their time visiting my sites as well as I get from them for taking the time on site to convert or even click an ad or two.
[YT]pNdxJXO6Boo[/YT]

Last edited by sfod_d223; 11-26-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: yt error

Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
My reply is off topic but should serve members well. Since I have a site or two that serves ads I never tried to block them. Then a rather large forum site that I visited daily had used this annoying popup ad at the bottom of every page. I do mean every page.

I now use ad blocker and I don't see any of their ads. Actually I don't see any ads anywhere that aren't hard coded.

My advice is don't piss off your visitors. They will either leave your site or block all of your ads.

You will earn lot more without them!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

When you refer to hard code, you mean the traditional banner ad?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I look for site users that are looking to get as much from their time visiting my sites as well as I get from them for taking the time on site to convert or even click an ad or two.
I dont like this thing! For just some pennies you are cheating!

Isn't this also against the rules of the google?
Dont click on your ads or ask some one to click yours?

Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfod_d223 View Post
When you refer to hard code, you mean the traditional banner ad?
An ad, banner or link hard coded into the HTML portion of the site.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM

So will this banner (hard coded) be shown to the visitors, even if they are using the adblock? or the ads will not be shown at all!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

Quote:
I dont like this thing! For just some pennies you are cheating!

Isn't this also against the rules of the google?
Dont click on your ads or ask some one to click yours?
Not asking folks to click ads. I'm speaking on the opposite, find out what brings them to the site via search and other means "social" and have adse relevant to those visits help the click thru rate without having to ask visitors to do anything.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So will this banner (hard coded) be shown to the visitors, even if they are using the adblock? or the ads will not be shown at all!
I really don't know how to say it any plainer than I did. Ad blocker does not block images or links. Either served by a JS may or may not be blocked. I guess it depends on the source and signature.

If you want to put up a test page and post a non-live link I am sure some us us would take the time to take a look. I would.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Not asking folks to click ads. I'm speaking on the opposite, find out what brings them to the site via search and other means "social" and have adse relevant to those visits help the click thru rate without having to ask visitors to do anything.
SO right! Post of the day

Quote:
I really don't know how to say it any plainer than I did. Ad blocker does not block images or links. Either served by a JS may or may not be blocked. I guess it depends on the source and signature.

If you want to put up a test page and post a non-live link I am sure some us us would take the time to take a look. I would.
I think I wont understand this thing unless I use it! However, Thank You for your assistance!

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 11-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Administrator

One can use their local hosts file on their computer to block ad networks also.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue