Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 10-09-2012, 10:42 AM

How do i start a membership site?

Hi everyone, i have a website in a niche and its on first page on google. I am thinking of turning it into a membership site which will be free for buyers to browse, but sellers will have to pay a monthly fee to sell their products.

The hard part is how do i accomplish this with nothing for sale on the site yet?? Somehow i need items to be for sale so when the buyers come along theres actually somthing for sale.....

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Contributing Member

One fundamental questions: why would seller pay you just to place their product/services on your site to sell? There are many paltform out there which allow their sellers sell stuff without paying anything?

Unless you have some real good incentive for the seller, else, I doubt you will attract size-able sellers

Just my 2 cents worth!

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huasang View Post
One fundamental questions: why would seller pay you just to place their product/services on your site to sell? There are many paltform out there which allow their sellers sell stuff without paying anything?

Unless you have some real good incentive for the seller, else, I doubt you will attract size-able sellers
I don't agree with this at all. In fact I believe most good market place type sites are not free at all. Whether it is a flippa or ebay or smaller sites, if you are able to sell your products and make money, sellers won't mind paying a fee. Actually a paid site would be a lot better since the seller would be more likely to get better support and better competition / visitors.

About how you want to implement this, I think the best option would be a vbuletin based forum with a buy / sell section made paid to post new threads. Most market place sites have that kind of a set up and I am sure there are built in / third party plugins to make part of your forum paid. Moderate the forum well and makes ure that you are strict with the rules.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Go ahead and ask yourself, would other people pay to get access to this information? Is it unique and can you find it anywhere else? People will only pay if they can't get that information anywhere else for free. Brainstorm and think of something that people will pay for. Just ask that major question: Would you pay for this? Once you have a good list, go ahead and do process of elimination and have the pros and cons of each idea. You will eventually find something that people will pay monthly for!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:13 AM

Make it free for the sellers for the first few months.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeman View Post
Make it free for the sellers for the first few months.
First of all, do you have any thoughts on what the thread creator can sell? I've bolded the important part of the thread creators post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeriscool View Post
Hi everyone, i have a website in a niche and its on first page on google. I am thinking of turning it into a membership site which will be free for buyers to browse, but sellers will have to pay a monthly fee to sell their products.

The hard part is how do i accomplish this with nothing for sale on the site yet?? Somehow i need items to be for sale so when the buyers come along theres actually somthing for sale.....

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue