Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 06-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Hosting / Webmaster Marketing Strategy

Hey all!

I have a dedicated server through my favorite hosting provider that I'm using for my web hosting / web development clients.

My current "standard" hosting package is $24.95 per month but it also includes 1 hour of content updates per month.

I'd like to focus on small businesses (local if I can, to provide better service) because I know that many of them are being taken for too much money with not much service.

In fact one of my first clients was paying $75 per month just for hosting... no service included. lol! Another potential client is currently paying $150 for hosting, no service and not even any e-commerce!

So, I know my rates are competitive (rock bottom) since my price includes up to 1 hour of work (which I would normally bill for about $30-$40 per hour).

My problem is that I'm having a hard time finding / contacting potential customers outside my initial "warm market" and getting any ROI.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. As with most people, I'm on a very limited budget... lol!

Up till now I've mostly been contacting customers in my local chamber of commerce.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dave

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 01:40 PM

Niche Hosting

Have you considered focusing on a particular niche? Web hosting for politicians, for instance. If you decide to specialize your services in a way that caters to a specific group, it shouldn't be too difficult to meet them and offer your services (e.g., political group meetings).

Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 AM

hmm. I'll have to think about that.

Would you suggest a certain time period before moving on to a new niche? Also, what would you suggest for finding these companies, YP.com?

I guess I'm just afraid of wasting time with one or more niches and missing the right niche... lol

Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 AM

If there's some reason that moving to a niche would negatively effect your current clientele, then you should give them adequate notice.

That said, I can't think of any reason focusing on a specific group would be damaging to your current clients. As long as their service remains the same or gets better, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

If you spin it right, your clients should view it as a benefit. For example, "[John Doe Hosting] is now offering hosting for real estate agents. Your service will remain the same, but you will also receive access to the new email marketing and newsletter service that we've added for our customers in real estate."

That does three things. First, it lets them know they're not losing anything. Second, it tells them they're actually going to get something (which will help garner customer loyalty), and finally it lets them know you're offering hosting to a specific niche which allows them to tell any of their friends or associates who are in that niche about your company.

I don't recommend switching from niche to niche. Pick one based on (1) whether you have access to the places where people in that niche gather (meetings, message boards, etc.), (2) whether you're experienced in the niche, and (3) whether you're interested in the niche.

Once you've decided on that, send an email to your clients and let them know what's coming. Give them an easy way to spread the word (include a link in the email to a page detailing the new plan so they can forward it). Then go to meetings (Association of Realtors meetings, for example, if you offer web hosting for realtors) and pass out business cards.

When you're catering to a niche, content marketing is especially effective as a lead generation tool. Blog about issues that are relevant to your new niche's web hosting and web design.

You can also advertise on Facebook, Google AdWords, or relevant local websites. A lot of the specifics will depend on what niche you choose. If you decide to focus on a particular area, I'd be happy to help you come up with some more specific ideas once you choose a niche. Just let me know.

One more thing. You might consider making a members-only area for your current clients and your new niche clients. That way your existing clients will feel special because they're getting something new that other clients without the new niche plan won't get.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 PM

Try and get a mention or spot in any local media. Some community groups like releasing annual media, such as magazines and sell advertisement space.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue