Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Compulsory Payment for Currently Free Service

I've been running my website for a while but it's not making enough to be worth the effort I'm putting in. I added a couple of paid for features and although I may not have hyped them up as much as I could it was a failure. I added a 'gold' feature so people could pay a small amount weekly or monthly to remove adverts from the site - no takers. I could take away features from users so they have to be gold to use them, but I've seen a pattern when it comes to paying even a few pennies for a feature - they'd prefer to do without. So really I am left with give up - which would be a shame as I've put in a lot of effort. Or make payment compulsory. Is there any way to ease people into it as I've a feeling ill lose a lot of members. There is a competitor, my members prefer my site but will probably jumpship to save a few pounds. Any thoughts or advice?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 AM
Contributing Member

That is natural, expected behaviour. Unless you are going to provide something really amazing, unique and something that can't be found anywhere else - people are not going to pay. I don't know your niche or type of service you offer, but generally it is better to find other ways to monitize.

Ads are the esiest, get adsense. Also affiliate programs works in some niches. Do some R&D and try to promote some products related to your topic. If it is general, you can still try ebay / amazon etc. There is different ways to push it, from lightbox popups to articles that promotes / reviews products etc. Clickbank books also work. Even you can write one, if you are trying to get people to pay for reading your articles. Make an ebook yourself, market it on your site and get affiliates to do the same for you.

In any case, don't lose the traffic and don't turn them away trying to go paid. In most niches and kind of traffic, paid services don't work. Almost everywhere, there are better ways to monitize, which you need to try and findout.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:21 PM

Are you getting a lot of traffic? If so, you should be able to generate some revenue via Adsense. If you are using Adsense you could try checking your CTR and make sure it's at a decent percentage. If not, maybe you could try experimenting with different ad placements on your site.

Otherwise, you may just need to focus on getting more traffic.

In regards to the "gold" you are implementing. That may definitely be a good idea, but don't force them into it. You don't want to put them in a position where they either need to pay or leave. I guess though it really depends what your website is about. Sometimes you could just limit them to the amount of use per day unless they upgrade, or if it's like a game, you could try offering them something to make is easier for them to win. Maybe you could try checking out some of your competitors to see how they get around the monetize side of things, but it might just be that you need more traffic.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:38 PM

I forgot to say thanks for the advice ☺

I managed to find a way to encourage people to pay if they wanted an enhanced experience.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Closed Thread