Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

View Poll Results: If you owned this website, what would you do?
Sell it 0 0%
Grow it to be bigger than it is now 0 0%
Change the way it products revenue (currently using adsense) 1 50.00%
Keep it as is and simple ride the wave 1 50.00%
Something else that hasn't been mentioned above 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Share |
Old 04-11-2016, 12:01 AM

Poll: If you had a site like this, would you....?

Hey all,

I figured it would be nice to do a poll among my peers to see how they'd handle a decision I need to make about a site I have.

The site is a bit over a year old, gets about 36,000 visitors per month (75% organic and 14% direct), makes about $140-150 per month from adsense, is on a subject I have ZERO interest in (entertainment), and for the most part is hands off... aside from WP updates.

I think I'd prefer to simply sell the site to focus on other more interesting and lucrative projects; instead of simply keeping it or trying to grow it (neither of which would be a problem for me).

So what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by msj484 View Post
Hey all,

I figured it would be nice to do a poll among my peers to see how they'd handle a decision I need to make about a site I have.

The site is a bit over a year old, gets about 36,000 visitors per month (75% organic and 14% direct), makes about $140-150 per month from adsense, is on a subject I have ZERO interest in (entertainment), and for the most part is hands off... aside from WP updates.

I think I'd prefer to simply sell the site to focus on other more interesting and lucrative projects; instead of simply keeping it or trying to grow it (neither of which would be a problem for me).

So what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Not sure if you still have this website but here my

Even though you have zero interest in the niche, you could hire an expert writer to provide fresh content for this website and yourself writing a blog post or two with your own perspective. Have this writer take over the social media accounts to try to get followers engaged. Site gets a lot of visitors and already makes money. Why get rid of it now. Grow it larger then you get more for the asking price when you sell it.

Have you did any SEO work on the website itself? My idea is for you is to ask for a full website review in our website review section here on the forum (read rules in this section first) and have us members do a full review and we will make our suggestions and even post negative feedback.

You fix what we suggest and the website will be little more better which could help increase revenue or even more unique traffic.

Keep AdSense on the site but do you have any other forms of revenue on the website? Let's say today you got banned by Google AdSense, would the site still make money? If not then consider doing some affiliate marketing on your site or sell advertising blocks..

When you sell the site, besides factoring in the traffic, rankings, paid custom work done to the site and revenue from other sources, your asking price can be a lot higher. Plan for the future when you sell it. Built it up more.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

75% traffic from organic search means that the keyword trends are quite good. If you keep running this site by the same way, your profit will increase steadily.
But the problem is that you are not interesting in this niche anymore. Your site is in the entertainment niche, and the traffic will begin to decrease if you don't spend your time to update new content.
If I were you, I will choose one of these two options:
- Keep growing it bigger, then sell it (cause now the price of your site is quite low).
- Building a new site in the niche I like, then try to navigate old site's visitors to my new site as many as possible (by banners, introduction article, redirect etc).

Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 PM

I really appreciate the responses. Maybe I will look into taking the points of advice that you mentioned. When I have some time I'll be sure to start the ball rolling on these suggestions as I see fit.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

You are not going to get a decent ask price if you put it on sale now. Bring some fresh content, do some aggresive pushing and then look for a good deal. May be you will develop the zeal to own it forever over a period of time you engage with it. Good Luck!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue