Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue

Webmaster Revenue Discuss money making strategies, ideas to monetize your website or blog, tips and techniques to increase webmaster revenue, etc. This forum is NOT for promoting your own site or referral link.

Share |
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Question Pay Per Play - Two Sides of The Audio Coin - Your Call...

The live launch of the much debated, and somewhat anticipated, new online advertising medium known as pay per play, or net audio ads, is set to launch in just one week (Feb 1st).

My question for the Web Development Community - What is your take on this new advertising system? I recently launched a site (easyppp dot com) to assist folks seeking to publish audio ads for revenue, as well as assist advertisers in setting up ads, and getting them published. Obvisouly, I am optimistic about the potential for this type of advertising.

I have met with several businesses in my area, and many are interested in both side of equation. Most want to place advertisements, but many are interested in playing ads on their websites. Understandably, many of the bigger businesses want to wait and see initial results before joining in.

Would you, as a webmaster, ever consider playing audio ads on your site, or a portion of your site, to add to your revenue stream?

Would you consider creating audio ads to advertise your services?

I'm trying to gather as much feedback, positive and negative, so I am prepared for business meetings, as well as to move suggestions the right direction for implementation. Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 PM
V7N Kitchen Mentor

I leave my audio off on my computer.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 AM

Do these play automatically when someone views a page? If so, that is bad. I hate ads that make noise. Hate them. I wanted to hurt whoever made that "Congratulations! You have been selected to receive two free iPods." ad.

I have never heard anyone say any good thing about ads that make noise. Only hate for them.

That will be one thing that makes me stop visiting a site real quick. Even if I like the site, otherwise. Needless to say, I'd never put them on my site, or advertise with them.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:55 AM

Post NetAudioAds - EasyPPP Pay Per Play Audio Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Designer View Post
I leave my audio off on my computer.
We figure about 20% of computer users have the audio off or do not have speakers. This has been taken into consideration for pricing to advertisers, as well as payment to web site owners.

We also considered that about 10% of browsers will have java disabled, and factored this in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomple View Post
Do these play automatically when someone views a page? If so, that is bad. I hate ads that make noise. Hate them. I wanted to hurt whoever made that "Congratulations! You have been selected to receive two free iPods." ad.
- That has scared the bejeezes out of me a couple times during late night web surfing...

The ads do play automatically on any page with the code. A couple of stipulations have been built in to try to reduce the 'annoyance' factor. First off, ads are only five second long. Ads never play more than once every three minutes. The only way you would hear a second ad would be if it has been over three minutes and you refresh the page, or navigate to a new page on the same site with the ad code. If you navigate to a new page quicker than that, no second ad will play. If you refresh the page in under three minutes, no second ad will play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomple View Post
I have never heard anyone say any good thing about ads that make noise. Only hate for them.

That will be one thing that makes me stop visiting a site real quick. Even if I like the site, otherwise. Needless to say, I'd never put them on my site, or advertise with them.
We have been testing ads on over 500,000 sites for about two years. Compared to the number of ads played, complaints are extremely low.

I suspect what is more likely to happen, if a user wants your content, they will either a) put up with the ads, or (more likely) b) turn off the audio when visiting your site if they want your content.

Awesome feedback...please keeep it coming.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

When I hear that some page is "talking", I immediately find it and close it. Stomple's idea is right. Sorry for this negative point of view, however visual ads can be ignored (except pop-up sh*t and "blinking" sh*t) and audio ads can't be ignored if you're listening to some music for example (music on your PC of course).

Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 PM

Completely fair to share your point of view... I asked for it.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:06 PM

OH!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 AM

personally, I don't like audio ads.
If I'm obliged to stay in a site that has an audio ad, i'll just turn off the speaker.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 AM

Thumbs down Get PAID for EVERY Visitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
If I'm obliged to stay in a site that has an audio ad, i'll just turn off the speaker.
This has been accounted for in the advertiser cost... we expect it.

Nice thing for webmasters / blog writers is they get paid every time the javascript runs, whether the speakers are turned up or off.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyPPP View Post
We have been testing ads on over 500,000 sites for about two years. Compared to the number of ads played, complaints are extremely low.
You may never actually hear the largest percentage of complaints because this is most often demonstrated by simply closing the window immediately, and never returning to the site.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
You may never actually hear the largest percentage of complaints because this is most often demonstrated by simply closing the window immediately, and never returning to the site.
not all sites need returning hits tho...

any way

i will put audio ads on my site if its pay per play and beats my cpm if it dont beat my cpm then i wont.... i would be looking at 1k/1 + about 20-30% per view. if the audio ads paid me by paypal i might use them over a cpm network tho.

sadly i do use ads that make a noise and they convert well, i found that ads that you can hear seem to get clicks out of 100 impressions i got 12 clicks =) but the ads would need to go with the site content. audio adult ads might do well

Last edited by Sama3l.; 02-04-2008 at 06:35 PM.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 AM

There is a time a like to hear ads and there is a time I don't like to hear ads. We need ads when we are looking for something. So if at the time we are looking for one and then we hear an audio ads about it definitely we will be interested. So from that experience this audio ads could work. It is up to webmaster to handle this. it just an option. if you think it works for your site use it and if it doesn't work and you feel your majority of your visitor has some kind of trouble with it then just don't use it. Business is about testing and research. you never know what will happen because human always react differently and weirdly in some circumstances.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I have them on several of my sites.
My stats show a huge number of impressions (hearings?) and a grand total of $0.18 for all that for this month so far!

What do you have to get, a million people to visit to make a quarter?

Anyways, will give this program a fair shake of 2 months and if I see I only make eighteen cents every week, then I will remove them.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 PM

Everyone is in the same boat as far as ads go. I think I have about $.20 or $.25 cents for the last week. They are holding back ads until a third party audit of web-sites is complete, to make sure advertisers aren't blowing ads (money) on sites that are crap. There was no filter or approval system in beta, so a ton of sites that violate TOS are in the database still.

Once those sites are eliminated from the database, and they let the ads go full power, you should see some good revenue. Then advertiser bidding will start on ads soon after, which should send it up again...

I say put it on your website, forget about it until March or April, then check out your stats. Should be a nice surprise once all the glitches are smoothed out. If not, you've haven't really lost anything, except a few minutes of time to insert the code.

Gary
[link removed]

Last edited by Cricket; 02-08-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Now your answer was wonderful!

Yes, will see it in a month or two...

Heck, I really should go back and add some more of my sites.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 AM

If you plan on putting it on more sites, you should add the code now, so you can start to see stats in the back-office, and ensure the code is working on the pages you want it on. Then you are all set for when the ads start playing 100%.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:59 PM

If anyone is still on the fence, you should decide quickly: They just announced they are closing the affiliate program this week to new members.

The need more ads, cause right now they can only play about one ad per five hits, so they are going to start a commission program for affiliates to sell ads.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

I've said it before elsewhere, I'll say it again here. Audio Ads? If I do not have a way to block this I may go crazy and remove the sound chip from the motherboard.

Audio ads are I think the worst that can happen after stupid pop-ups and expanding js/flash banners. Yukky.

I think that everyone who will place such ads on their website will probably be loosing all visitors with the speakers on.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Audio ads won't last. . .

Personally I hate any ad that makes noise. It bothers me. Even those banner ads that when your cursor rolls over them begin to talk to me just drive me insane.

People won't listen to anything if their speakers are off.
People with speakers on are most likely listening to something else (music, podcast, etc).

These ads are intrusive and annoying. I don't believe they will generate income for people using this method.

Just my 2 cents.

Skinny

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue