Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review

Website Review Forum offers feedback and constructive criticism regarding the design, content, SEO, marketing, or overall impression of your website.

Share |
Old 08-13-2010, 07:11 AM

Review: photo-fixed.co.uk

Hi

I am starting a small business website so I am looking for any comments you can give. The main thing I am looking for is that the design and branding of the site is good.

ie, as a user, do you know what the site is about immediately? Can you find your way around? Does the business look trustworthy and make you want to buy?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 AM
v7n Mentor

Hey there.

A very cool idea and nice examples for your photo-fixer site

Validator says: PASSED

Congrats, but...

Google Page Speed Score is only 77.

Here are the things you should improve:

Enable compression
Leverage browser caching
Minify CSS
Minify JavaScript
Parallelize downloads across hostnames

After a few seconds I found out what your service is about.
I would personally change from flash to jQuery or any JS stuff.

Design could be improved a little bit, cool idea, well done!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

Honestly I enjoyed browsing your website. It was very cool
The idea of showing the new picture from old is really entertaining.
However in SEO side try to fix your Meta Titles,Keywords, and Description
for this will help not only the reader but also the crawler to determine
which category your website is. And also I noticed the blank white space
below, maybe you can center your design? Or do you have any other
things in mind? That's it, and by the way I stumble it for future reference

Old 08-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

I toughly enjoyed your site. The purple is very warm and touching color appealing to the empotions which si what your service provides. Everyone wants to look beautiful. I like how you have a accerate example of the services you provide and they are done quite cheap if you ask me. Of the hundreds of sites I've seen/reviewed yours is the onlyone I have booked marked to use your services at a latter time.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Contributing Member

I liked this site too with a design that differs from the usual templated ones.

My only issue here is that you have crammed quite a bit into the 1024x768 fold, and it tells a bit. The use of white space could be greater (padding around words in buttons for example and between page elements.

Other than that, it appears professional, easy to use and conveys the message very well.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all of your comments.

csm,
I will look into browser caching etc. I actually used sitegrinder (a photoshop plugin) to generate the HTML and flash catalyst for the flash. I do have some coding experience but hand coding everything, especially the interactive parts, seems way beyond me. However, I will look into paying someone for jQuery development at a later stage.

Also, since your post I did make some design improvements (hopefully), and I will continue to work on it over time so that it matures. If anyone can give me any specific ideas for where the design needs improving it would be appreciated.

Cryxellis,
Thanks, and I will get working on meta data.
I'd rather not centre the design, it does need to fit with other pages, which are longer than the average screen. Let me know if I have completely missed the point.

.Andy,
Yes, currently I am earning a little under minimum wage. On the other hand, at the moment this is more of a personal challenge than a money making scheme so I'm not too bothered.
Anyway, thanks - I look forward to doing business

Rhyfelwr,
Ok, I will try and spread out a bit at some point. I am working on the design fairly constantly, making small changes, so hopefully it is beginning to mature a little.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Nice site. Very minor thing. My first thought was to click on the header Fixes, Effects Airbrush etc. Then discovered you click on the icon instead.

Better if a click on the header takes you to the page - I mean as well as the click on icon, not instead of it.

Also best if the header gets highlighted on mouse over the header (e.g. "Effects ") - same way as mouse over the icon.

No need for the button "menu" which doesn't do anything. Just Home, Effects, ... would be fine.

I'd experiment with a very very pale blue for the border to either side, just enough so you can see the border. Pick up the pale blue from the Order Now button, just enough colour so you can see the border. I think it might look good and help to tie the page together, see what you think.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

I like the idea, I actually developed this same concept 16 months ago & it got a huge response, Now I do this as a Private service since I have 6 clients ("local photographers") who need there showcase/portfolio modified daily & weekly so I had to close this service since I got since a huge response lol.

Works great, keep the pricing fair & customers happy they'll come back

Old 08-31-2010, 05:10 PM

robertinventor,
Thanks for the tip about the menu, hadn't thought of that - consider it done.
As for the border, I'll give it a try.

TheRACK,
Ok, good to know it should work, and also good that your not competing with me .

Old 09-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Like your design~~~
I use VPN cos i'm from China, seems the flash on the homepage loading speed is not good~~~

Old 09-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Hey I love the site, about my only complaint is that I was instinctively looking for an upload page or upload button to send you the pic. I think asking people to email it is okay but letting them submit it right from the main page and having a form to select what they want from a pre-determined list of options would be much better. I am not qualified to comment on web design or anything techish but I know people, and people will give your site about 30 seconds of their time. If you make them open their email after they look over your site some of them will probably get bored and look elsewhere.

Majesty

Old 09-19-2010, 04:38 AM

Majesty,
Actually, people give it around 3 minutes 23 seconds on average . But you make a good point, I should offer both email and form. Unfortunately I don't think my host ("justhost" fyi) supports smtp, so this is probably more effort than is worth it at the moment. Thanks for the idea, though, and I'll look into it.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:58 PM

Ok, just completely overhauled the design and added the upload form - let me know what you think.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 PM

Perfect, exactly what I had in mind! Looks great nice job.

Majesty

Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 AM

Hi,

The idea that you have portrayed is superb. Though the site could be made little more bright and colourful as it all talks about offering pictures and pictures in improved form.

Tabs like effects, air brushing, fixes, restoration, etc., at header caught my attention first. The site includes text along side the pictures but the placement or alignment of the content is not that appealing.

Colour used is dull, forcing users move away from the site. Looks like site is designed by an amateur designer.

Cheers,

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review