Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review

Website Review Forum offers feedback and constructive criticism regarding the design, content, SEO, marketing, or overall impression of your website.

Share |
Old 08-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Seriously... no reviews on the new design?

I guess I'll have to completely change it...

http://www.qualityimagesearch.com/test2.php

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM
v7n Mentor

I like that split screen, where you can scroll one side, that torn paper look in the middle is kind of funky, all in all your making quite an improvement and you need to tweak it some more.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonshire View Post
I like that split screen, where you can scroll one side, that torn paper look in the middle is kind of funky, all in all your making quite an improvement and you need to tweak it some more.
Brilliant - thank you!!

The split design was a nightmare to get working right, but I'm pretty pleased with it. I just wasn't sure if people would go for the plain/paper look.

I need to do some tweaking on the menu.... not so hot, but I'm struggling to think what would go with it.

Also need to sort out those IE css bugs...

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Contributing Member

as a user i noticed two things about your site that I would have liked.
1. to be able to add keywords on the view image page
2. to be able to adjust the size of the frame on the image page, well It just seems odd to me that the image pages pictures are not set up to be as attractive as the preview page.They are smaller, could they be the same size?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeslair View Post
as a user i noticed two things about your site that I would have liked.
1. to be able to add keywords on the view image page
Interesting point as many of the keywords don't necessarily match the image very well and adjusting the keywords would improve the search for other users.

My only hesitation with this is... there are some unscrupuous users who would enter completely random keywords or even delete existing keywords or spell keywords incorrectly... rendering the search worse! The only way to do this would be to have a pending revision list - authorised by admin... but with hundreds of thousands of images - that could be an administration nightmare!

Quote:
2. to be able to adjust the size of the frame on the image page, well It just seems odd to me that the image pages pictures are not set up to be as attractive as the preview page.They are smaller, could they be the same size?
Very good point.

The two pages use a different loading technique for a very good reason. The main page (with the very large window that expands to your browser) uses a simple div with max and min heights. This image is hotlinked! (and max and min heights don't work with some earlier versions of IE)

Some sites use a system to block hotlinking or swap the image for something less desirable. With this in mind, if this does happen, the view image page does not rely on this because it uses an iframe.

My current problem is that while I can control the max-height and max-width of a standard div, I do not have the same flexibility with an iframe....

I need to work on this... thank you for your comments.

Rhy

EDIT - I now have a 100% W3S valid markup!

Last edited by Rhyfelwr; 09-02-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

@jadeslair

After experimenting with the css for the image view page, I have devised a workable solution that expands the image size to the browser size nicely!!

It works well for the latest FF, IE and chrome so pretty chuffed with that!

I dread to think what it will do in earlier versions of IE...

Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Contributing Member

I checked it out looks nice, good job.
i viewed some nice images, is there a way for me to share them? or do i just have to link to them?
nevermind, dah its a search, i should just link to the search to promote your site and link to the original author for specific images.

Last edited by jadeslair; 09-03-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Another interesting idea.

I had been thinking about social networking but never really got into this field before.

I'll investigate.

Rhy

BTW - IE8 hates the design and doesn't handle iframe width in % or max-width/height

Damn

Old 09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
is there a way for me to share them? or do i just have to link to them?
Done - full "addthis" sharing box on all pages!

Image review process is now much faster as well so I can eliminate all the rubbish quicker.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittu View Post
Really good. But i cant understand how can we submit our images to your search engine. Is there any option for it? sorry for the ignorance
Interesting question...

I have got an image submit page that used to be open to the public, but I changed it to admin only...

I didn't realise I would have any demand for it!

If anyone else would like to confirm that they too would like an image submit page, just reply here and I will re-instate it.

Rhy

P.S - up to 300,000 images indexed now!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 PM

The site is a mixed bag due to some loading issues and the theme itself. Some of the images clash but overall I can see your vision and wish you the best. Are you planning anymore updates and pictures?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 AM

You know. I kind of like it.

The only thing that really jumped out at me was the flashing images. Would be much better if when I mouseout of the image, the last image stays.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webgold View Post
The site is a mixed bag due to some loading issues and the theme itself. Some of the images clash but overall I can see your vision and wish you the best. Are you planning anymore updates and pictures?
Interesting... "Loading Issues and theme itself"???? Could you expand on that a little so I can remedy it?

When you say some of the images clash, I'm not sure what you mean. This is a search engine, so some of the images are bound to clash - it depends entirely on what it finds!

As for updates, I'm working on several SEO entry pages (without much success yet) and possibly recent searches - although these can be a nightmare.

When you ask if I am adding any more pictures...isn't 337,948 enough for you? The crawler is constantly working and adding new images to the index, so in answer to your question..... yes!

... or am I to understand you didn't get it was a search engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryleo View Post
You know. I kind of like it.

The only thing that really jumped out at me was the flashing images. Would be much better if when I mouseout of the image, the last image stays.
Thank you.

I know what you mean about the flashing thing and I would have prefered it to do as you suggest.

My problem is space... or lack of it. I have already streached the limit of what I can get into the fold with the large preview section on the right. This has only been possible with an expanding span, runnin from the thumbnails. If I have it permanently there, it will block your ability to use the UI and form controls.... a pain!

My major focus ATM is increasing image count. TBH the indexer works quite quickly. What takes the time is visually checking each image.... arrgghh.

I might set up a community system where the community checks the images. That way, I could run the crawler faster and release my time to do other stuff on the site. My problem with this is.... who apart from me would want to check through thousands of images either passing or failing them based on quality????

Thanks again for the feedback.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review