Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review

Website Review Forum offers feedback and constructive criticism regarding the design, content, SEO, marketing, or overall impression of your website.

Share |
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 AM
v7n Mentor

Thumbs down Review: XHTML-Valid-Websites.com/forum

Hey everybody.

I am working on a small forum (still not done) but I want to know if the colors are ok.

Link: http://XHTML-Valid-Websites.com/forum

It is a myBB with the Apart 1 template.
I will add some jQuery fun in the next days.

Are these colors (and the logo) ok with you?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Wow - nice use of orange fade on the jpg!!!... although... I hate to say this, but the compression is too high and it's lost it's quality a bit too much... sorry. It does blend perfectly with the background repeat gradient though.

Good solid use of black band in the header and you can't really go wrong with black and green.

Your use of coding in the background is an intriguing idea and the blend between the highlighted "http://" and XHTML-Valid-Websites Forum navigation class div is inspired.... but it doesn't quite work and I don't know how many people would see this. Perhaps if you edit the background image and make the "http://" fade right to a solid black, which will then run seamlessly with the div content. This only happens in 1024 width though On the other hand, this may have been pure coincidence!!!

Nice simple button template here too, which looks classy.

I do have to say that the navigation class div itself looks out of place. The simple squared off corners may be simple, but it doesn't fit with the more complex rounded effect on the rest of the page.

Rhy

Last edited by Rhyfelwr; 08-23-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for your review and your ideas.

Tomorrow I will have a look at it, and I will add some more CSS3

Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Hi CSM,
I checked out your website. Overall, it looks like a good clean site and easy to nav and understand. There are a couple of things I will comment on and it may be a matter of your preference or you may be aware of info that I a not privy to, either way I love the Logo/headergraphic, except the dripping may say "not tech professional". The code in the background is excellent, except the subheader needs to stand out a little better as it seems to blend in to the code too much. Again on the thread header backgrounds, the use of black seems to interupt the flow of the page. You may try choosing a more subtle grey that works with your layout and one that is more pleasing to the eye. All in all... great job and look forward to seeing you about the forum. Also, I will probably be visiting your forum as, I am in the process of coding another website of mine, which I am less of an expert at. Not that I am a design guru either!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 PM
v7n Mentor

Thank you for you review devonshire.

I will check about the thread header graphics and maybe you are right about the logo.
When I am back in the office I will have a look what I can do.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 AM
v7n Mentor

I did some changes (check the infobar at the bottom, you can close it now) and would like to know if...

you like it?

Anything you want to mention?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Much better and love the closeable infobar.

After looking at the navigation class div again, I like the shaping and the fade to green on the right, but perhaps the green could be a better saturation to match the green in the logo (or is it - my eyes weren't what they used to be). I personally would fade it from green (right) to black left although I'd have to play with it to find out what the effect is.

Something still bugging me about the background code.... can't quite put my finger on it.. :S

edit - just had a play with the colours and came up with this...

What do you think? The black back is a bit heavy so could do with being a dark grey... You can't see it on this reduced png, but I laso put a thin pixel light grey border round the outside which ties in with the rest of the div content.

Rhy

Last edited by Rhyfelwr; 08-25-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM
v7n Mentor

Check the attachment (I wrote 2 tutorials today regarding myBB forum ^^) how it looks now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xhtml-valid-websites_com_forum.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	12737  

Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM
v7n Mentor

Hi CSM,

I registered on your forum, looks good with the new header. I ran into a couple of problems. When I went to post introduction, I had to start a new thread and when I went to reply to your website review thread your post came up in the box. Also somehow can you figure out how to make the thread fonts larger, that way folks know where to click on the thread...it wasn't immediately apparent to me> Other than some minor housekeeping issues...it is an
AWESOME job! I am in the process of setting up a "Boat restoration information exchange forum" using asp.net...
we'll see haw that works???

Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyfelwr View Post
Much better and love the closeable infobar.

What do you think? The black back is a bit heavy so could do with being a dark grey... You can't see it on this reduced png, but I laso put a thin pixel light grey border round the outside which ties in with the rest of the div content.

Rhy
I like the subheader bar it sets off the code background.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonshire View Post
Hi CSM,

I registered on your forum, looks good with the new header. I ran into a couple of problems. When I went to post introduction, I had to start a new thread and when I went to reply to your website review thread your post came up in the box. Also somehow can you figure out how to make the thread fonts larger, that way folks know where to click on the thread...it wasn't immediately apparent to me> Other than some minor housekeeping issues...it is an
AWESOME job! I am in the process of setting up a "Boat restoration information exchange forum" using asp.net...
we'll see haw that works???
Hey mate, I did tests and had no problems.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:18 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm View Post
Hey mate, I did tests and had no problems.
You obviously know what you are doing, I was just reporting my experience as an end user. I found out the hard way with my sites, assuming I had an operating site but wasn't working, when friends started calling, it didn't work on their browser. I am sure you would be aware of that type of issue.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Try just a little brighter colors as it looks a little drab. It works but you asked for a reason no? It looks very clean and the image on the logo is sharp. Great work and try a few swatches to see what you like best.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review