Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review

Website Review Forum offers feedback and constructive criticism regarding the design, content, SEO, marketing, or overall impression of your website.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Review: urbanmist.com/newurban2.html

I am working on a new design for my website urbanmist.com (The site sells funny & cute shirts for the entire family in the following categories 1) Maternity 2) Infant 3) Toddler 4) Kids 5) Mom's 6) Dad's 7) Grandmas and Grandpas

This is the link to the new design. Any comments are appreciated:

http://urbanmist.com/newurban2.html

Last edited by snakeair; 02-23-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: format title

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbany View Post
I am working on a new design for my website urbanmist.com (The site sells funny & cute shirts for the entire family in the following categories 1) Maternity 2) Infant 3) Toddler 4) Kids 5) Mom's 6) Dad's 7) Grandmas and Grandpas

The title bar looks good. So does the Urbanmist banner. Also the banners to the right of that look nice.

The pink & orange link bar seems a bit out of place. I might try something that doesn't contrast as much, and a more subtle highlight color.

The Baby Tops, Onesies, Toddler Tops thing should go, imo. It looks just like the menus I see on domain parking pages, and I instantly leave when I see something like that. It looks like a SPAM page due to that.

The other banners and the product photos look good.

Make the buttons to purchase more clear. I assume the Configure is what leads to the purchase, but add to that "Buy Now"

Jamie

Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
The title bar looks good. So does the Urbanmist banner. Also the banners to the right of that look nice.

The pink & orange link bar seems a bit out of place. I might try something that doesn't contrast as much, and a more subtle highlight color.

The Baby Tops, Onesies, Toddler Tops thing should go, imo. It looks just like the menus I see on domain parking pages, and I instantly leave when I see something like that. It looks like a SPAM page due to that.

The other banners and the product photos look good.

Make the buttons to purchase more clear. I assume the Configure is what leads to the purchase, but add to that "Buy Now"

Jamie
1) Where else can I put the pink and orange link bar? any idea?
2) If I don't use orange then what color looks better with pink? any siggestions
3) Any suggestion on how to make the left nav look different so it doesn't look like a domain parking page?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Your new design look very nice, except the logo,
i don't like the logo, it's too simple, make a new one that more professional look,
for the color... all look nice and match with the site concept..
2 thumb up..!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
1) Where else can I put the pink and orange link bar? any idea?
2) If I don't use orange then what color looks better with pink? any siggestions
3) Any suggestion on how to make the left nav look different so it doesn't look like a domain parking page?
1.: Sorry I didn't see this until just this morning. I might try some more suttle colors on just try screening them back to 50% to 70% and see how that looks. Also possiably smaller fonts for the About Us Faq, etc.

2.: If you look at a triangle on the color wheel, You can see Pink, blue, green make a good triange. But your just a few points over with the orange, it is too close to green. I might try the whole bar where it is as green with a different shade of green to highlight the buttons. You want it to be noticeable, but it isn't the highlight of your site.
Go for opposites on the color wheel or a triangle.

3. Maybe something more like this, a screened back background, smaller fonts. Note quite as wide. I might try a different smaller font. I think this one would be a little small for your site:

Some common Domain Parking Pages:

Click this one to enlarge:

Review: urbanmist.com/newurban2.html-butter-1024x619.jpg

I think you can see why it gave me that domain parking page feeling, they all seen to have that menu over to the left, with larger fonts. I'd play around with a couple different designs and see what you can do to make it look different. Maybe even putting it to the right side, so the products are on the left. Changing the pink bar may also change the feel of it a little bit. I would defiantly try moving some of those fonts down in size at least one step.

Jamie

Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:

This is the new version of the design based on your feedback. Do you have any other good ideas on how to make it better?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Latest Blog:
None

This is the newest version for review: http://urbanmist.com/newurban3.html

Old 03-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Everything is very bright and colorful. I suppose this is alright as you are looking to gear it towards happy families. I would suggest though that you make the pictures smaller for the simple reason that people do not scroll down anymore. This is a fact and has been studied by many many companies in regards to advertising.

Also the site has so many colors that I don't see it having any real direction. This is one of the most common problem with sites, you do not know what to do once you get on them. If you want to lead people to a particular product to sell, you should do that by minimizing the colors, and then for the product you want to sell, to have some bright color around it - this will direct people's eyes.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hello;

The link bar does look better on the side. Did you knock down the resloution of the graphics or some how change them? They look like they are using a color pallet with too few colors for the image.

Take a look at this t-shirt site, it was one of the top results in google for t-shirt:

http://www.bustedtees.com/

Notice all their graphics / images are crystal clear, really nice photos. Their products menu is a little simple, but useable. On that site, my focus is drawn into the T-shirt designs.

I think you need to find a way to cut back on the colors.

Take a look at this mock-up, I may even end up make this design more basic and changing the whole background to one color.

http://www.akivathedog.com/2011/02/23/pawdogs-mock-up/ (my site, but is non-commercial)

Now if you glance at the blog it's self, you can see I kept a pretty simple design there, you could have a similar concept applied to a t-shirt site. i.e. Simple clean header / top menus (note on most sites, I would make the top header smaller than the Akiva The Dog graphic is on this blog - this site is just for fun, so...) I have a couple graphics over to the right (Alexa and Dogster) along with the search box, then right below that I have the recent entries. That space would serve well as links to the categories. Then where you see the blog posts, you could have t-shirt designs.

I would try and get it to be more simple. I can understand the urge to have fancy designs. There is still just way too much going on, on your site, and I don't know what to look at or where to go. Imagine if the Akiva The Dog site was selling T-Shirts, where it says "Paw Dogs Mock-up" I would say "Best Selling Shirts" or something similar.

Can you try to aim for a design that is a bit more simple?

Jamie

Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Latest Blog:
None

One of the problems is that I have a lot of extremely important messages that I want to include on the site and this makes it a little cluttered. The messages are:

Free shipping w/ purchase of 5 or more
Gift Certificates
Shirt of the month club
Newsletter sign up
We Plant a tree with every purchase
A ink to the featured products in each category.
And a few other things.

If I put all of this into the paw dogs website then it may look crowded too.

Am I better of not including all of these things and making the site simpler? But then how would people know about these things?

Old 03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Latest Blog:
None

the reason for the low res imags is because the websdesign sent it as a low res image. the final version will be high res.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
One of the problems is that I have a lot of extremely important messages that I want to include on the site and this makes it a little cluttered. The messages are:

Free shipping w/ purchase of 5 or more
Gift Certificates
Shirt of the month club
Newsletter sign up
We Plant a tree with every purchase
A ink to the featured products in each category.
And a few other things.

If I put all of this into the paw dogs website then it may look crowded too.

Am I better of not including all of these things and making the site simpler? But then how would people know about these things?
Hello;

Who are your target customers? Approximate age group? I'm guessing it is young - middle age adults since there is maternity related items.

What do your customers care about? Do they care that you plant trees?

An example from another industry. Some web hosting companies make a big deal out of being "green" earth friendly, renewable power, etc. I'm a tree / nature person, but when it comes to my hosting, I want it to be fast and stable and when I'm learning about their service; I don't really care how much power it uses or how many trees they chop, I want to know how well the service works. I don't care what they have to do to get their power.

My point is, as nice of a point as it may seem to you, make sure it is something your customers care about. You may be 100% right, your customers may care a lot about the planting a tree thing (I think it is a nice idea), but your customers may or may not care.

Why do people want to sign up for your newsletter? What do they get out of it?

Do people really buy 5 shirts? I don't know. Is that a good offer or is that kind of a large purchase?

With a online store, you have a very very short time to capture someones attention before they decide to move on to the next site, you don't get much wiggle room. Little things can make a big difference in the amount of time someone spends on my blogs and forums, and I am not trying to sell anything, I just want to them read free information, and hopefully interact. Your job with a store is much much harder.

Without spending hours analyzing your market / industry, these questions (about what the most important things are to your customers) are very hard for me to answer.

My guess is the first thing people should see are your best selling / most interesting shirts.

You need to offer people a good reason to sign up for a newsletter, without a good reason, you will find a fraction of a percentage of people sign up. Make sure to use a service like aweber for Mail Chimp for you list. (mail chimp is free for a couple hundred sign-ups)

Don't take this as me being really critical, I trying to get you pointed in the right direction, which like I said is not that easy for a person to do that doesn't know your market.

This is a great blog I found yesterday, spend a few hours reading it, the guy goes into a lot of detail about what it took him to make a six figure income from his online store; tons of great tips:

http://mywifequitherjob.com/4-tweaks...mproved-sales/

Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

HI
few bugs can only be fixed if you designed and updated in the server .
with the layout you prepared looks good and you may change few things while developing your site real time

Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM

It looks like your site is near completion so my thoughts might be too late here. I really like your homepage! I just wouldn't place what the "total" amount in the cart is. I like the cart but not the Total Cost... if everyone carried around a total price of purchase while they were shopping, we would all buy less... the total always seems scary.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Do you like the first version of the design more or the 3rd version of the design more:

First version - http://www.urbanmist.com/newurban1.html

3rd version - http://www.urbanmist.com/newurban3.html

Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Latest Blog:
None

The third version is definitely better. Looks much more professional than a sample you started with.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJones View Post
The third version is definitely better. Looks much more professional than a sample you started with.
But isn't the first version more cohesive, it has less colors. The third version has so many various colors, do you think that makes it less cohesive

Old 03-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
But isn't the first version more cohesive, it has less colors. The third version has so many various colors, do you think that makes it less cohesive
The third sample looks cleaner. I agree it's bright but just the same your first template is. And menu might look better in soft-green/blue

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review