Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review

Website Review Forum offers feedback and constructive criticism regarding the design, content, SEO, marketing, or overall impression of your website.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Review: CalcuStat.com

I really used to like StatBrain until it became very slow. So I made CalcuStat.com. This website estimates the number of pageviews, the number of unique visitors and the website value. It also shows similar sites. And on top of that: it's fast! I'd like to know what you guys think!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

MrSS Review on CalcuStat.com

When the page loads, I thought I am in Google. The look and design of your website is similar to Google, and Google+, I like it. Very nice, clean look, light to the eye, easy to load. I also got the impression of I'm in Alexa, based on the interface.

I tried your website functionality, first I test our company website, I'm cool with the output, I can say it's true. FYI am not handling webmaster access. Thanks to your website generated info.

What is the meaning of letters in "CalcuRank" box? Is it scaled from A-F? Wherein A is the highest and F is the lowest? Just like what a grading system school used?

You are using Alexa in your calculation, isn't it alexa is not accurate / bias in giving result about traffic and ranking? Don't get me wrong, that idea is from what I've read and heard before. Does your website have any other way / metric to determine a more convincing result?

I saw a comment from 'Naveed Rehman', I clicked on his picture to view more about him. However the page said: "No such profile exists.", how was that? Is the profile of registered member hidden to visitors? If so, I think it's better to prompt a message like "Please sign up if you wish to view the page", then the login / sign up for form should be in. If no the prompt is wrong, as a user, for me it means the comment is a dummy, a filler, placed for the sake of "comment" which might give a negative impression in your website.

There are '�' in TOS page. I think you should fix that and change the coding of your website, if it's UTF or ANSI. Probably that's because of the font style my browser is using? IDK.

Do a little improvement in navigation, like this:

See the difference? With my suggestion, the website can tell the user what part / page he is presently in. A little thing but helpful way for the user.

Question: What is your concept behind your logo? Honestly I don't see any relation of your logo to your website.
It made me remind of a telecom company here in PH, PLDT, here is their logo:

Looks alike right?

Also I notice a little misalignment is "More Readings" box:

May I ask how do your website come up with "Similar Sites" result. Honestly I feel amazed 'coz the result it gives is a website of a big telecommunication company here in PH.

The text are readable, but it'll be more readable if you make the font size a bit bigger and darker. I think you should as well select a font style that will brand for your website.

Improve the meta tags and description in every page, based from what my Quirk Search Status said some of the pages are not having good meta tags & description. That said, every page should have different meta tags & description.

Good you have 301 redirect, meaning the user will always have the www domain though they key-in non-www url. Nice job!

A little typo error in your About us page:
Quote:
Calcustat.com is a free service of Linkings.nl. Calcustat.com aims to clarify how many visitors websites all around the world actually attract. We have We have developed an algorithm which enables us to make a pretty good calculation of the number of page views, unique visitors, ads revenue and site worth. Out of this calculation we deduct the so-called CalcuRank.

Do you want more information, would you like to advertise or do you have to say something else? Contact us!
For me there's a little over wording in:
Quote:
  • In order to be able to post a comment you need to be signed in to Calcustat.com.
    In case you have already signed up you can sign in at the right side of this page.
  • Haven't signed up yet? It only takes a minute. Sign up here.
  • Already signed up but forgot your password? Click here
Improve the login interface, the text size and boxes is a bit small, make it bigger.

And that's all I can say. Sorry if I sound *ranting*, but please read it in a calm way. ehehe ...
Attached Thumbnails
Review: CalcuStat.com-navigation.jpg   Review: CalcuStat.com-misaligned.jpg   Review: CalcuStat.com-pldt-logo.jpg  

facebook.com/V7Network <-- hit "Like" button.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 AM

Thank you

Thank you very much for your extensive review. I will look into it and let you know which changes I will make!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hey I like your site! Is it an "off the shelf" script or did you do all the coding to pull in the info yourself?

Maybe it is a *little bit* plain. Maybe a bit more colour or images or something to brighten the lists underneath the search form. Perhaps an icon for each heading?

I checked one of my sites whambanners and a lot of the info was in the right ball park. The ad revenue was way out though, so not sure where you get that info from.

I didnt get the advertise page. Not enough clear on details. I eventually worked out that you pay to appear in the related sites area of each listing.

I'm not sure that is going to net you much income. I would look at a more general contextual ppc model. For example when someone adds a site (which is what most of your visitors will be doing), serve them related industry ads after they submit their own perhaps.

Or push people to a join form after submission and build a mailing list to sell value added service to site owners later.

Last edited by snakeair; 02-23-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Perhaps a little more content above the fold explaining your site. Code wise there is some issues. Your title tag is too long. No more than 70 characters including spaces. Also it should not include the domain name. Meta description too long. Most search engines will only show 150 characters including spaces. No H1 heading. It should have one. Do a permanent 301 direct instead of the temporary one you are using. Cool tool though. I gave it a whirl.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM

I think that a bit more elaboration on this site would be beneficial. It kind of seems like you are just pulling these numbers out of thin air. You need something to have your viewers trust that this information (site views, net worth, etc.) is accurate.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review