Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review

Website Review Forum offers feedback and constructive criticism regarding the design, content, SEO, marketing, or overall impression of your website.

Share |
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Review: ShoveHost.com

A lot of people say that our website "sucks" but they don't say why. I agree it needs to "pop" a bit more and get people to order.
Please review the website overall, and also it would help me a lot if you would address these concerns.
Thanks in advance!
https://shovehost.com/
PS: Sorry about the CloudFlare thing, but we got a 3Gbps DDoS attack that took our site offline. While no customer services were affected, it was negatively impacting us to have our site down. We put it behind CloudFlare and for now we're leaving it at the "I'm under attack" setting so you'll see a CloudFlare DDoS Protection screen for 5-10 seconds before accessing our site.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM
v7n Mentor

Shovenose,

Not really sure why people say your site “sucks”. Its not all that bad.

There is some room for improvement though. I cannot go through everything but I’ll give you some things that stood out to me.

First is your main navigation menu. It is hard to see the menu items at the top of the screen against the black background. Make these more consistent with the color scheme of your site and bring the menu down underneath the logo.

Here are some other ideas for you,

http://netaccountant.net/website-des...n-conventions/

Best,

Shawn

Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Why is your title tag saying this?

<title>Home - ShoveHost</title>

In the google search results your title says ShoveHost -home
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...rp.CQp0Jo9VVB8

Remove the HOME from the title tag's. Ad a little slogan to the title.

Example: ShoveHost - Affordable Premium Hosting

That's just an example.

I don't see a meta description either. See the below link for details about this.

http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/meta-description

Where is your ABOUT page? Create an about page and explain a little bit about yourself and your expertise in the web hosting industry and the goals of ShoveHost. Read the below blog post about why having one is good for business.

http://designwebkit.com/web-and-tren...-create-right/

Old 03-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you for the feedback, both of you.
Quick point, the About page is in the footer.
I don't know how to code a good navigation menu so I had to use Bootstrap.
I'll work on the SEO stuff, thanks for the tips snakeair.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM

You homepage it is unattractive needs more images, a logo, a favicon and give more focus in your products/prices.....

Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

There's no copy. You haven't given me, the theoretical customer, any reason why I should host my site/s with ShoveHost rather than one of the hundreds of thousands of other hosts. So I won't.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieL View Post
There's no copy. You haven't given me, the theoretical customer, any reason why I should host my site/s with ShoveHost rather than one of the hundreds of thousands of other hosts. So I won't.
What do you mean by this? I'm sure the thread creator would want to know a few more details as to why you wouldn't use the host if you was thinking about it.

The review section is here to help people by getting negative and positive feedback.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieL View Post
Thank you for your feedback. However, did you miss this entire paragraph on the Web Hosting page?
https://shovehost.com/webhosting.php
Web Hosting is the easiest way to get your business the web presence it needs to succeed. Just because your business is only open 9 to 5 doesn't mean your website shouldn't be accessible to visitors around the world, around the clock. Our secure, high-performance shared web hosting is packed with the features you need to get started. We use the industry standard cPanel Control Panel to allow you to manage your website, email accounts, FTP, databases, website application installations, and more! ShoveHost Web Hosting is optimized for WordPress, Magento, GetSimple CMS, and almost every other PHP and/or MySQL-driven application. We put less hosting accounts per server than our competitors, making for fast load times that will make both you and your visitors happy.
While it's full of run on sentences and poor English which just shows I made this site in the middle of the night, I think it qualifies as "copy" ??

Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM

I think that it is nice!

Some ideas that may be able to make it better:
1) Can you make the "My Account" button easier to find?
2) Can you add more content about what makes you different
3) Can you make the "premium web hosting just $3" a bit easier to read? My eyes first went to the button, which is good, but the $3 really makes you stand out. When I first visited your site I missed that and then asked my self, "why are they different"

I hope this helps! This is my first post on this forum, so I hope to get feedback on my feedback and improve as I participate! Have a great day!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 PM

Your website is very simple, appealing and user friendly.

Only two things i can criticise would be your logo and the position of the nav bar.
i think the logo doesnt really fit in with the site? it looks like it doesnt belong, and it would be better if the nav bar were positioned underneath the logo, instead of making users look at the very top of the page and away from the important content

also dont forget a favicon for a more professional outcome!

Last edited by snakeair; 04-19-2013 at 05:50 AM.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

OK, so I made a new website
Not done yet, but I'd love to see what you all think and what I can do to fine tune it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do for the homepage yet.

I guess potential customers like it, even unfinished, because I've had a ton more VPS and Dedicated Server orders lately. Interestingly enough sales of Shared/Reseller hosting has been decreasing. Still getting a good amount of signups though.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

No thoughts on the new site? Is that horrible or are all of you as tired and sleepy as I am right now?

Old 06-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, nothing?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:45 PM

The reviewer that said it has no copy as to "why to buy" .. I agree with him .... I see the page webhosting.php .... but see, people are fickle .... you need some copy on the homepage to encourage them to click on the web-hosting page. Teasers ... you need visitors to think "YES... I want to learn more and I will click on this" ... I'm betting your single page visit/bounce rate is too high. You've got to wet their whistle, you have to give them a reason to find out more.
I also agree with the reviewer that said "Your website is very simple, appealing and user friendly." The groundwork is done. I would not change the navigational structure. But you do need more color, and a few images on the homepage. The logo's not doing it for me either. Once you tweak the logo, make sure to "favicon" it.
I think your customers like the simplicity of your site. I would NOT re-due it, I'd just add a wee bit of "spice" ..... like when you eat something, and it tastes pretty good but you think to yourself - needs a little salt.
My review done June 16, 2013.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathtaking Lady View Post
The reviewer that said it has no copy as to "why to buy" .. I agree with him .... I see the page webhosting.php .... but see, people are fickle .... you need some copy on the homepage to encourage them to click on the web-hosting page. Teasers ... you need visitors to think "YES... I want to learn more and I will click on this" ... I'm betting your single page visit/bounce rate is too high. You've got to wet their whistle, you have to give them a reason to find out more.
I also agree with the reviewer that said "Your website is very simple, appealing and user friendly." The groundwork is done. I would not change the navigational structure. But you do need more color, and a few images on the homepage. The logo's not doing it for me either. Once you tweak the logo, make sure to "favicon" it.
I think your customers like the simplicity of your site. I would NOT re-due it, I'd just add a wee bit of "spice" ..... like when you eat something, and it tastes pretty good but you think to yourself - needs a little salt.
My review done June 16, 2013.
That's true. The website is not finished completely yet.I won't say the website sucks. Why? You can create a solid design for it. My first impression was: it's a regular blog site, not a hosting company that offer a cool services. When you want to promote your product, then you have to make something more attractive, something eye-catching because of the competition. As the website is not finished and I find there some "coming soon" messages then I hope the final version of the site, including logo and offers will be much better than it's now.

Regards,

Greg

Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 PM

I like minimal designs so ,to me, your web design is OK. However, you should make some little bit improvements to your website. You seriously need to change your logo. Your logo really sucks but other stuff is OK. Website loading time is good. You should add a blog page and some testimonials after sometime. Overall shovehost.com is good. Just change logo and add some more information regarding your services at homepage and also at services detail pages.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, I'll continue working on it with your suggestions. I hired somebody to make me a real awesome new logo so I should have that within the next couple of weeks.

I will be sure to add more content to the homepage!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3webmaster View Post
Hello,
Everything is fine for me but only 2 things, one on design and one on price.

1.Price color
2.And round prices like 10 ,20 ,30
Regarding the color of the prices, what do you think I should use?
Thanks

I hate the x.99 price crap and did the round pricing on purpose.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

By the way, I just added a Favicon and replaced the ~ in the title with a - as it looks more professional in my opinion.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

There's no way in hell you'll get away with a huge Welcome to [company name] on the first page. 'Welcome' belong on a door mat and 90's websites.

There's no way you'll get away with h1 tag with arial as a logo either. (as someone already pointed out)

First page is the decision maker. A go or a no.
If the design is neat and professional and not template looking, I'll read your h2 tags. If the copy in your h2 tags is simple and up to the point, I'll read your p tags. If I still feel good after reading and you didn't get any bad points MAYBE i'll view your other pages... The other pages need to be as compelling, of course

You definitely need a clear "PRICES" or "PLANS" in your navigation.
Then use 'sub-pages' or tabs for each plan (Web Hosting | Virtual Private Servers| Dedicated Servers)

Attached is a mockup for the bare minimum, in terms of design, for me to consider using your service.
-Phone number must be in the upper right.
-Image looks better taking up all the width.
-Thinner header.
-Cooler fonts
-Distinct clickable buttons
-Found the logo element for free (google: free hosting logo)

That's just me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shovehost.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	17608  

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby > Website Review