Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I know the information in this blog post will be very old news to most people but it's still good to go by these tips when looking for an article writer.

Continued at: How to Choose an Article Writer

Additional Resource: 73 Ways to Become a Better Writer

There's some good points in that first link, Derek, but I disagree with the third point:

Quote:
Ezine Rating
Any article writer who writes on a professional basis should have EzineArticles (the most popular article directory) Platinum Status. You can check this out by looking up their author name on EzineArticles’ website. If they don’t have this, you should seriously consider looking at an alternative writer as they are either new to the scene, or have something to hide.

I write a lot of articles for hire, as well as webcopy, and I have yet to submit an article to ezines. (I don't have time to write extra articles!) I think that discounting writers for not having submitted to one particular directory is limiting the prospects. If I felt that it would get me more business, and I had more time available to service that business, then I might submit.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocC View Post
There's some good points in that first link, Derek, but I disagree with the third point:

I write a lot of articles for hire, as well as webcopy, and I have yet to submit an article to ezines. (I don't have time to write extra articles!) I think that discounting writers for not having submitted to one particular directory is limiting the prospects. If I felt that it would get me more business, and I had more time available to service that business, then I might submit.
Ditto. I have a person that i use to write some articles for me and he does not have an ezines account. He can bust out a 400 word quality article in 1 day and even has me read it before he submits it to article directories. I am picky and sometimes want one more keyword stuffed in it. lol

What sold me on using this guy was his same articles i asked for. I did some research on other articles he had written in the search engines and that sold me. The main thing is to check the article writers previous work and also see if you can find feedback from previous clients.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

I have been on a bit of a hiatus lately, and actually had to pull back from one client, because of some family issues that are putting a lot of new demands on our time. I have another couple of clients that are giving me as much work as I have time for, so I can't complain. I do agree that it's important to check a writer's work, as there are a lot of people that market themselves as English-as-a-first-language, that speak perhaps 50%, if that.

I think that the biggest complaints I have heard from my clients about previous writers have been that English was obviously a second language, and that deadlines seemed to mean very little. To me, deadlines are sacred! I suppose that comes from having worked on a newspaper... you only miss a deadline once!
I usually can turn an article around in less than 24 hours, and in a pinch, I've done it in a couple of hours, depending upon whether or not I needed to research anything first. What blows me away is the broad pricing range I've heard for articles. Anything from $0.75 to $5.00/100 words!

Last edited by DocSheldon; 07-22-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocC View Post
I have been on a bit of a hiatus lately, and actually had to pull back from one client, because of some family issues that are putting a lot of new demands on our time. I have another couple of clients that are keeping giving me as much work as I have time for, so I can't complain. I do agree that it's important to check a writer's work, as there are a lot of people that market themselves as English-as-a-first-language, that speak perhaps 50%, if that.

I think that the biggest complaints I have heard from my clients about previous writers have been that English was obviously a second language, and that deadlines seemed to mean very little. To me, deadlines are sacred! I suppose that comes from having worked on a newspaper... you only miss a deadline once!
I usually can turn an article around in less than 24 hours, and in a pinch, I've done it in a couple of hours, depending upon whether or not I needed to research anything first. What blows me away is the broad pricing range I've heard for articles. Anything from $0.75 to $5.00/100 words!
I see what you are saying about the pricing. One thing to remember is in other countries that amount is a lot of money to some people. I would still question the quality of the article for that price. My writer is in the Germany but he writes like English was his first language. I don't know if you read this one thread yet in the Affiliate marketing section but there is a good conversation going on.

A Few Article Marketing Tips For Begginers

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 PM
V7N Administrator

Write what you know, write with passion, write from your heart and you will never go wrong.

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link, Snake. I rarely venture into the affiliate marketing section, so I hadn't seen that. I didn't even realize that David was a member here... been reading his articles for quite a while.

@Cricket- absolutely! Unfortunately, when you're a hired pen, you can't always pick the topic.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

@Cricket
nice Idea to carry a book along with myself

Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, thanks for all of the great tips. I really have learned something to improve my writing skills here.

English is not my first language. Every time I write an article, I find it really hard to express myself so I try to walk away from computer. Then, I imagine there's some one in front of my eye so that I can explain it to him. It's like the method of some one who already posted the same reply with me. And then, for proof reading, I print out my article. I break the article into each sentence and pretend I am doing the English homework , then I go through each sentence and edit them.

It sounds like a complicated process but I have to go through each step to make sure the article is quality and people can understand what I write

Internet, web hosting and Wordpress coupons for bloggers

Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Title Wars: Attention Grabbing vs. Optimization

Here is a tip to think about when writing.

Title Wars: Attention Grabbing vs. Optimization

Quote:
The average person reads around 120 words per minute, or about .5 words a second. The average human reaction time is about 0.2 to 0.25 seconds. That means it's more likely someone will pass you by then read your title. That is, unless something about your title catches their attention, piques their interest, or ignites their imagination. That's a tall order for less than a dozen words.

But without the readers in the first place, we're never going to get what we really want: the recognition and the links.

So you sit down to write, ready to be inspired, and like a tiny angel and devil feuding on your shoulders your sense of search engine optimization (SEO) begins to go head to head with your creativity. So the battle begins, should we write to capture attention or to write for SEO value?
There is more to this blog post. I only copied a little bit of it.

Continued at: Title Wars: Attention Grabbing vs. Optimization

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

7 Tips for an Authentic and Productive Writing Process

I was just on the copyblogger blog and found a new blog post that is worth a good look at.

7 Tips for an Authentic and Productive Writing Process

Quote:
Does this sound familiar?

You’re sitting in front of your laptop, staring at a blank screen.

The deadline for the article you need to write is approaching, and you’re struggling to get started when you should be in the final editing stages.

As you sit there trying to put your expertise in writing, a strange insecurity creeps up your spine. You see yourself changing before your own eyes, transforming from a confident expert into a self-conscious amateur.

It’s your own Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde transformation experience.
Continued at: Authentic and Productive Writing Process

I hope this article helps ya'll out in some way. Please continue to provide good writing tips in this thread.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 11-01-2010, 05:16 AM

Writing is a mood thing, really. Whenever I am in the mood, I make it a point to write as many articles as I can. I can write like a 400-500 word article in 15 minutes or so if I am in the mood.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

7 Ways to Improve Your Writing… Right Now

Copyblogger has a new design. Anyways, check out this blog post for some tips or a trip down memory lane.

Quote:
Many of you would love to write more compelling blog posts, articles or web copy.

You’ve heard all the old advice. Practice makes perfect. Get your 10,000 hours in. Just show up and write.

And of course, that’s all a good idea. It just takes so danged long.

Meanwhile, I’ve got a couple of fast ways you can improve your writing immediately. No waiting for that pesky, tedious “practice” to kick in.

Way better.
Continued at: http://www.copyblogger.com/fast-writing-improvement/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

14 Tips For Writing Properly Optimized Articles

Another good blog post with some things to think about.

Quote:
One of the most common areas of confusion when trying to incorporate keywords into your article marketing campaign is how to correctly do SEO article writing.

Do SEO article writing correctly, and you will make your article more appealing to readers, publishers and search engines.

Do it incorrectly, and the article ceases to make sense and appears to be of much lower quality.

Not sure how to write with keywords effectively?

Here are 14 tips to help you write properly optimized articles:
Continued at: 14 Tips For Writing Properly Optimized Articles

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 PM

I tried to use an attractive titles. Online users have limited attention, therefore I need to catch it (just making sure that I am creating a quality article). It is also important tot follow the rules of that certain website.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

8 Incredibly Simple Ways to Get More People to Read Your Content

Another excellent blog post on the copyblogger blog.

Quote:
Your precious words. You know they’ve got to be right to attract the audience you want.

You’ve slaved over them, carefully crafting each phrase. You finally hit “publish,” and what happens?

Nobody reads them.

No comments, no tweets, no sharing on Facebook.

It’s enough to send a writer into deep depression, and wipe out motivation to keep producing great content.

Think you need to spend another 10,000 hours perfecting your writing skills? Probably not. Actually, the solution may be a lot easier than you expect.

Writing less and styling your text so it’s easy to read could be all you need to do to attract and hold attention.
More to read at: Get More People to Read Your Content

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 12-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

How to Write a Press Release that Gets Attention

I you are into writing press release's or thinking about writing one, take a look at this blog post on the problogger blog.

Quote:
Writing good content for a blog is only half of the equation: promoting your blog to drive traffic is the other half.

Previously we offered five reasons to promote your blog with press releases as part of an overall content marketing strategy. This post provides a few tips on how to write a press release for maximum media exposure.
Continued at: http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...ets-attention/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

HOW TO: Beat Writer’s Block Online

Good blog post on the mashable blog.

Quote:
Nowadays, we are all content creators. Whether it’s work or a school project, the next blog post, or even that next tweet, we all suffer from writer’s block from time to time.

Traditional advice suggests taking a break from your monitor and getting some fresh air. That’s great old school advice, but it isn’t a useful suggestion for anyone tied to their computer. We’ve pulled together some top ideas, tools and services for beating writer’s block in an online environment, so you can break through that barrier without leaving your desk.

Have a read below for our quick tips to help you beat writer’s block online...
Continued at: http://mashable.com/2011/01/19/beat-writers-block/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
+ Ego

Spit has something to say

I always do. Anyway, I tweet a lot, and although my twitter feed is private and can only been seen by people I know in RL and family, with over 15,000 tweets I tend to tweet random ideas ranging from marketing ideas to new project ideas. These ideas never find room to grow, because they're limited to the 140character cages they were born into. So what I have done recently is setup a personal Tumblr account and while more can view it, and more are, I can put those ideas and marketing techniques I'd like to try and go back to them. A place where my ideas can grow, ideas that I can edit, update and get feedback on.

So what's the tip, Spit?

Nice rhyme, ego!
The tip would be along the lines of when you can't find anything new to write about, expand on previous posts and ideas! We're all learning, and i'm sure everyone can find a few posts they could update as a new post with fresh new content and a fresh perspective!

So, some tweets were born to be blog posts?

Yes! The same way some people were born for greatness! Like me!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit View Post
Spit has something to say

I always do. Anyway, I tweet a lot, and although my twitter feed is private and can only been seen by people I know in RL and family, with over 15,000 tweets I tend to tweet random ideas ranging from marketing ideas to new project ideas. These ideas never find room to grow, because they're limited to the 140character cages they were born into. So what I have done recently is setup a personal Tumblr account and while more can view it, and more are, I can put those ideas and marketing techniques I'd like to try and go back to them. A place where my ideas can grow, ideas that I can edit, update and get feedback on.

So what's the tip, Spit?

Nice rhyme, ego!
The tip would be along the lines of when you can't find anything new to write about, expand on previous posts and ideas! We're all learning, and i'm sure everyone can find a few posts they could update as a new post with fresh new content and a fresh perspective!

So, some tweets were born to be blog posts?

Yes! The same way some people were born for greatness! Like me!
I ran across an SEO blogger recently who made a post where he kept his ideas and notes on post ideas. He would come back to them and expand until he had a post. It was interesting. And it's interesting to me to run across a similar concept so soon. Patterns instruct. As in when the student is ready the teacher will come.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Hey MJ, I found a good article on the CopyBlogger blog.

The “Common Sense” Mistake That Makes Your Writing Lifeless

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web