Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 PM
v7n Mentor

I find for me, most times, it's dealing with writer's block. My latest tool to help address that, my twitter feed. I run seesmic desktop in the background while I'm doing things or sitting trying to figure out what to write about, and from there, I'll glance the feed from time to time. If I see something people want to know, and I have the ability to write about it and knowledge, or if I see some interesting links to things I haven't covered, it's quite easy to find something to write about. Just my two cents. And hello all =)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

How to Write for Your Website or Blog

Just a few writing tips to soak in:

Quote:
Lesson #1 – The best way to learn about writing is to actually do it.

If you want to write a killer blog post, then you have to start by writing some blog posts that probably aren’t that killer—at least, not in the way you would like. The Muse is very elusive. She won’t come at your beck and call. If you wait for the inspiration to hit, then it never will. You can write a good, link-worthy post, but only if you have the determination to start putting words on the screen.

Lesson #2 – Keep going.

Consistency is key. Blog readers are a fickle bunch. If you are not providing the information they need/want on a regular basis, then they will leave you for someone else. As you steadily write new content, your readers will...
Continued at: http://www.seo.com/blog/write-website-blog/

Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with the consistency approach.
Unless you are regular at blogging, you will not get repeated visitors that is really a key for the success of blog.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Here is a good blog post that i just got done reading. Very useful tips in it.

Quote:
Do you sound smarter when you use big words?

According to a study published in Applied Cognitive Psychology , the answer is no.

In fact, complex writing makes you sound small-minded. Just consider the title of the study: Consequences of erudite vernacular utilized irrespective of necessity: problems with using long words needlessly.
Continued at: 11 Smart Tips for Brilliant Writing
That's interesting. After a brief search, I found that study. It's in a pdf, if anyone would care to read it.

Word of the day:

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmySueN View Post

Don't write when you're drunk, or for heaven's sake don't publish until you've read it over sober.
I do some of my most creative work when I'm drunk - spelling and grammar excepted.

My only problem is than when I have had a drink then I tend to post stuff that verging on the litigious.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocC View Post
There's some good points in that first link, Derek, but I disagree with the third point:

Ezine Rating
Any article writer who writes on a professional basis should have EzineArticles (the most popular article directory) Platinum Status. You can check this out by looking up their author name on EzineArticles’ website. If they don’t have this, you should seriously consider looking at an alternative writer as they are either new to the scene, or have something to hide..
Uh, yeah. Ditto that. I don't have much of an Ezine Article's presence at all and I'm an award winning author, copywriter, and about to graduate with a 2:1 in Creative writing from a UK university (/heavy-handed bragging)

And with the 'Farmer' update, Ezine Articles might not be as valuable as it used to be. I've got a nice portfolio of clips and I'm happy with the work I do - and I get a *LOT* of work. Got nothing to hide, I just don't see the point of pursuing something that's never come up in conversation with prospective employers. I guess, though, it helps that I've been blogging since 2004, and you can't Google certain phrases without finding me
(and I do apologize if any of this has already been covered - only half way through the thread )

Kai

Butt in seat.
Just do it.
Persistence.
Don't care what you call it - just treat your writing as a serious thing and treasure inspiration when it hits. Never take it for granted, because there will be days that it's a bloomin' slog.

Kai

Last edited by snakeair; 03-23-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: merged posts

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

It's hard for me to find the idea to write a article. And after I found it, then start to write and finish, I'm confuse about how to translate it in English. So the only one i can do is I use simple sentences, I tried to choose words that are easy to translate in English. But still problems there, I do not know if the grammar in my writing is right or not. But sometimes I do not care about it. Thinking about good grammar makes me become more difficult to writing. This is my posts that i write in Indonesia Language first then I try to translate it in English. Please check this, and i hope there's comment for me about my articles. So i can create interesting and good posts for the next.

Last edited by snakeair; 03-23-2011 at 09:32 PM.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:14 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliaudriel View Post
It's hard for me to find the idea to write a article. And after I found it, then start to write and finish, I'm confuse about how to translate it in English. So the only one i can do is I use simple sentences, I tried to choose words that are easy to translate in English. But still problems there, I do not know if the grammar in my writing is right or not. But sometimes I do not care about it. Thinking about good grammar makes me become more difficult to writing. This is my posts that i write in Indonesia Language first then I try to translate it in English. Please check this, and i hope there's comment for me about my articles. So i can create interesting and good posts for the next.
Whatever you did, that actually didn't read quite all that badly. It had some grammar issues, but other than that, not bad at all in my opinion. Just keep writing, do what you did with that, and I'm sure whatever you post here will be just fine. Thanks for taking the time to care and try to help us English speakers understand your contributions.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

The CheckList:

Just another writing tip for me... err everyone.

Quote:
Writing for the Web is not like writing a college paper (thank goodness), which means you probably don’t have a lot of practice at ideal formatting. Unlike the world of academia where literally millennia have gone into developing forms and formats, webpages have only had a couple brief decades to find their bearings. To help those still in the early phases of writing web content (a.k.a. the phase of confusion and panic), here is a basic checklist to go through before publishing work.

Are My Sentences Too Long?

Every sentence will express a very different thought, so variation is natural and even good in writing. However, sentences that extend too long will simply confuse and infuriate readers. Try to keep your sentences no longer than about 40 words, which equates to about two lines in average web publications.

Are My Paragraphs Too Long?

Advice varies on how long paragraphs should be, but the general consensus is they should be “edible.” What this means for the standard user is...
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/t...content/28754/

Feel free to create a thread about one of these checklists tips that Ann has mentioned if you wish to discuss it in more detail.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Stop by this thread every day to read our writing tip of the day, or to share a tip with others!

Here is the first one to get us started . . .

I used to get the most wonderful ideas for articles and blog posts when I was nowhere near a computer. Of course, the minute I would sit down to write, I would forget every single one of them. I finally learned to carry a little notebook with me so I could jot the ideas down the moment they crossed my mind. Some folks just carry a little voice recorder with them to accomplish this.
Let's start writing! I became so excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyonlinesorg View Post
Whatever you did, that actually didn't read quite all that badly. It had some grammar issues, but other than that, not bad at all in my opinion. Just keep writing, do what you did with that, and I'm sure whatever you post here will be just fine. Thanks for taking the time to care and try to help us English speakers understand your contributions.
Thank you for your suggestion. I think I have to immediately improve my English...

Last edited by snakeair; 03-24-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: merged posts

Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Symptoms to Watch Article Template

Nice blog post on the ezinearticles blog.

Quote:
Even if your field of expertise is outside the health and wellness niche, writing a “symptoms” article could be just the thing to cure your article inspiration ills.

When most people hear the word “symptoms,” they think of changes in your body that come from an illness. That’s true, but “symptoms” can also be indicators of underlying problems in any area of life – and that’s the definition we’re going to use here to help you write some great articles.

For example, articles explaining the...
Continued at: http://blog.ezinearticles.com/2011/0...-to-watch.html

Don't forget to submit a comment on the blog with your feedback about this blog post.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM

How to Create Online Content Like an Immortal Renaissance Artist

I got a very good blog post for you to read.

From the Copyblogger blog.

How to Create Online Content Like an Immortal Renaissance Artist

Please post your comments on the blog.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 AM

6 Steps to Craft an Exceptional Blog Post

Very good blog post in the dailyblogtips blog. Grab a cup of coffee for this one. (Wait, that's what i actually did)

Quote:
A challenge every blogger realizes sooner or later. Simply jotting down some words is usually not enough to get readers engaged and interested. Unless, of course, you’re Stephen King, or Agatha Christie, or have a black belt in blogging.

The rest of us – bloggers that have just started the journey – have to come up with a framework of some kind that will help us to create some eye-grabbing, thought-provoking blog posts and articles, aka the mysterious “quality content.” Hence, the 6 step master-strategist guide on how to begin a blog post:
Continued at: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/6-steps...nal-blog-post/

Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Your Article’s Title Is Your Marquee

Very good blog post on the Ezinearticles Blog.

The Importance of a Well-Constructed Title
Quote:
Dictionary.com defines marquee as “a tall roof-like projection above a theater entrance, usually containing the name of a currently featured play or film and its stars.”

In the first half of the 20th century, before information started traveling at the speed of light and advertising became common place, marquees were a major way to draw people into the theater. They’re still used in that fashion today, but obviously don’t have the same importance with all of the other advertising options available.

Think about the body of your article as being a movie and your title being the marquee that will draw people in to read it. Without a compelling.....
Continued at: http://blog.ezinearticles.com/2011/0...r-marquee.html

If anyone has any good writing tips that have not been mentioned already, please give a detailed response.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 AM

Do you need any motivation to write today? Take a look at this blog post then.

How to Conquer the Blank Page: 10 Tips That Really Work

Quote:
Do you ever sit down and stare at a blank document on your screen?

You want to write a blog post. But your computer seems to have drawn you into a staring match … and it’s beating you.

Maybe you sit there for ages, struggling to get started. Maybe you give up, and your blog stays silent for another day.

I’ll let you into a secret: most writers and bloggers struggle just as much as you do. We all find it tough to get started. We all have to fight that blank page.

The good news is, there are plenty of ways to win that fight. Here’s how to conquer the blank page:
Continued at: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/how-to-...t-really-work/

Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 PM

This is a great idea. Look forward to checking in with you daily. Yes, the good ideas come out of nowhere! I record on my smartphone. Also, I keep a small diary in my purse when it is possible to jot down a few ideas. Prefer the recording... my handwriting is mostly illegible... Mrs. Emerson, my 4th grade teacher, turns over in her grave each time I hand write something - makes the earth tile. No joke.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

A Good Conversation

A good writer will always remember that writing is like a conversation; if you're not interesting or providing a good point, people will stop talking to you.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Power lines are everywhere. When you hear or read a good one make a note of it so you can adopt it as a headline for your blog, your articles, your e-mails. Make a file labeled "power lines" and organize them together. Your power headline makes a difference in whether your communication is read by someone... or deleted.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM

When proofreading I read EACH word and I read aloud, and I enunciate each word and listen as I speak. This always seems to work with anyone else's work... not so good on my own though. When writing tutorials, I follow my own intructions to see what I left out, one always leaves something out, and there is nothing more annoying than trying to follow a tutorial and the writer left out a step because they are so used to doing it. I still get things wrong of course but I tried hard on this point. My grammar is bad but if yours is don't let that stop you from starting.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:59 AM

Time - time to write is important.

Find it wherever you can. A few minutes here. A few minutes there? Or, in my case, one hour a day. That is all I can spare, yet I move ahead with my writing.

Among my friends are those who are real writers, full time. Also, I have acquaintances who scribble things down, record into their cell phones whenever they can, part time.

I remain impressed by John Grisham's story. He was a lawyer billing 60 hours a week and a man with a family. So, for 5 years he wrote between the hours of 5AM and 7AM. At which time he dressed for his law office and went to work. You do remember "The Firm"... don't you?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Closed Thread