Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 PM

You should write only when you really have something to say; thus way the words will just flow naturally.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

The Commonsense Approach to Fresh Post Ideas

This is a good read.

Quote:
If you’re a long-time blogger, you, at some point, have inevitably looked at a blank document on a computer screen and thought to yourself, “I have no idea what I’m going to write about.”

And if you’ve never been a blogger, it’s likely you haven’t even fathomed the idea of, you know, sharing your thoughts with all of “those” people on the internet, let alone knowing what to write about.

What to write about

This is a topic I’ve addressed with a number of individuals during the past few months, and imagine it will continue to come up time and time again.

When the “What do I write about?” question comes up, I quickly start brainstorming and, within minutes, can develop a number of topics for the individual to write about.

My method isn’t rocket science.

It’s also not some wildly colorful secret that you’ve not been told.

It is one thing though, and I’d like to share it with you.
Continued at: http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...sh-post-ideas/

Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 AM

9 Ways to Write Killer Titles That Convert

Some good writing tips I just landed on.

Quote:
Do you struggle to come up with catchy titles? Hitchcock intended to terrify audiences with Wimpy before the title was transformed into Psycho, and executives cringed at The Ship of Dreams, then whipped it into Titanic.

I’ve crawled hundreds of posts from blogs in the digital space covering topics like SEO, creative design, and copywriting to discover nine title traits which result in posts with particularly high numbers of social shares. How many of these do you consider when writing post titles?

Tips, Ways, Tricks, Techniques, and Secrets - Be transparent in what type of content your post offers. Many posts offer up valuable information in the form of “secrets” or “tips” to help people gain insight quicker.
Continued at: http://www.blueglass.com/blog/killer-titles/

Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM

7 Reference Resources for Writers and Editors

Here is a few resources to take a look into.

Quote:
What guides and handbooks does a careful writer (or editor) rely on? I’ve consulted many resources, but the ones on this list have pride of place and show the most wear and tear.

1. The Associated Press Stylebook

Associated Press style and Chicago style (see below) differ in some respects, but many of the listings in this alphabetically organized resource will set you straight about how to treat many common and proper nouns.

2. The Chicago Manual of Style

This is the primary resource, after a house style guide, for many American publishing companies and other companies that...
Continued at: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/7-re...s-and-editors/

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 AM

10 Ways to Write Good Copy

Some tips for everyone.

Quote:
Writing effective copy is both an art and a science.

It’s an art because it requires creativity, a sense of beauty and style — a certain aptitude, mastery and special knowledge. Artistic advertising allows you to create content marketing that’s not just practical and persuasive, but awe-inspiring and breathtaking.

Writing effective copy is also a science, because it exists in the world of tests, trial and failure, improvement, breakthroughs, education and predictability. Scientific advertising allows you to develop an idea, and then test that idea. It’s how you know if your content marketing is working.

In bad copy, one (or both) of these elements are missing. In good copy, they are both abundant.

Read on, in the next few minutes we’ll explore ten examples of good copy living (and selling) out in the wild …
Continued at: http://www.copyblogger.com/good-copywriting/

Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM

5 Cases of Excessive Commas

This, is a, good, blog, post, to read. Ok, I went over-board with the comma's.

Quote:
The rules about commas can seem so complicated — and contradictory — that writers can (almost) be forgiven for tossing in an extra one or two. Here are several examples of overly generous deployment of commas.

1. “If a killer asteroid was, indeed, incoming, a spacecraft could, in theory, be launched to nudge the asteroid out of Earth’s way, changing its speed and the point of intersection.”
This thirty-word sentence is littered with six commas — one for every five words — five of them appearing before the halfway point. By simply bending
Continued at: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/5-ca...essive-commas/

Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 AM

Bunch of great tips in here! I especially liked the one on the first post

This one might be a bit general one, but it can easily be applied to writing as well:

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. The more mistakes you make, the more you can learn from them. So write, explore, think on what you've written after you wrote it and see how you could improve it!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmySueN View Post
Get enough sleep so you can think clearly and creatively.

Don't write when you're drunk, or for heaven's sake don't publish until you've read it over sober.
yes i completely agree with you, i can see many bloggers, they wont find time for sleep. due to this reason they wont get enough ideas when they are in computer.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Thank you Snakeair, commas have always eluded me, I never could understand where to put them and most of the time guess.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 PM

How to Write About Anything

This might be a helpful blog post.

Quote:
Perhaps you are a freelance writer, who is just breaking into the field, or you are an aspiring blogger, but you dont consider yourself a wordsmith. In either case, you will likely come across topics that you simply have to write about in order to drive traffic or to meet a clients requirement. When it comes to content writing, whether as a freelancer or as a blogger, there may be many instances where you may know nothing at all about the topics that you simply must write about.

For example, you may be asked to write an article about "URL canonicalization" when you dont know the first thing about Search Engine Optimization. Before you start to have a panic attack and decide to toss in the towel because you dont think there is any way that you will....
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...-anything.html

Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 AM

How to Consistently Write 1000 Words a Day

Good morning. Here is a blog post for us bloggers.

Quote:
One of the secrets of the most successful bloggers is that they are prolific. Writing 1000 words a day is like brushing their teeth. It’s just part of a morning routine. While it may sound like a lot, once you get into the habit it’s really not that difficult. Every writer has a different way of producing their 1000 words. These are the ways that have worked really well for me.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/h...s-a-day/62029/

Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

When you want ideas read the established blog writers. I usually adore them a lot. I wish i could give you a list. But i recommend you build list by yourself. Remember there is no place for plagiarism but by reading these writers you can take following things:-

1. A New post idea by seeing a post you may feel few points you dont agree with or addition of more points into that post. Or presenting the whole idea in a new manner.
2. Style of writing- Scrubbing raw thoughts into a presentable format
3. Recommend and learn many things like i am doing right now.

If you feel that you need help in building the list read a blog name merabheja which carries lot of info about top bloggers or you can hop on to a blog list such as Indianbloggers.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 AM

How To Be A Prolific Writer

A good blog post with some tips.

Quote:
Wouldn't it be amazing to be a prolific writer?

The only problem is that not all of us are experts on everything. Not to mention that you don't want to be perceived as the pedantic sort, always trying to school someone on what they don't know.

The goal is to be well informed, and to be able to translate that knowledge into witty, intriguing, and valuable content that your readers, as well as potential new followers, will enjoy. The more they like, the more you'll have the opportunity to write.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...ic-writer.html

Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 PM

30 Quick Editing Tips Every Content Creator Needs to Know

Another good blog post from the Copyblogger blog.

Quote:
Inbox 0: in a bad way.

Has your brilliant content still not scored you that dream writing position, lucrative business partnership, or sweet recognition among your peers and target audience?

If you think your articles are top-notch, but there’s a lonely tumbleweed blowing through your barren website, it may be because you’re just a writer.

You heard me, Gloria.

If everybody wants you, why isn’t anybody calling? Once you create a blog or email newsletter, you need to also actively take part in its evolution.

While keeping diligent focus on your content production, you must also....
Continued at: http://www.copyblogger.com/30-editing-tips/

Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 AM

How to Write the In-Depth Articles that Google Loves

Quote:
Hey marketer, are you a lover of long-form content? In-depth reporting? Then you’ll love this statistic:

Ten percent.

That’s the percentage, according to a recent Google study called Daily Information Needs, of people who might want detailed, long-form information from search.

And like we always say around here, “go where the data indicates.”

On August 6, 2013, Google did just that and announced the inclusion of in-depth articles in search results on broad search terms like cheese, investment, chess, terrorism, football, censorship, or abortion.

But this move really shouldn’t surprise us … Google has been heading this way for quite some time, notably with its Panda updates.

Neither should it surprise you that the engineer behind this new search feature is none other than Pandu Nayak — the guy behind the Panda algorithm.

On the Google Search blog Pandu writes:
Continued at: http://www.copyblogger.com/in-depth-article-ranking/

Old 12-21-2013, 02:09 AM

How to Write Traffic Inducing Headlines

Here is a good tip for when you are writing headlines.

Quote:
There is no doubt about the fact the most people decide to read an article or not based on the headline. Your content may be great with juicy tit-bits for readers but it will all go to waste without an equally eye-catching headline. People looking for content online scan content really quickly. You should be able to make them pause and impress them with the headlines of tour articles. Content marketers often struggle to create attractive headlines without going overboard. Here we will show you how to create those catchy headlines you crave.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...ting-tips.html

Old 01-19-2014, 06:11 PM

9 Tools to Help You Come Up With Content Ideas

Here is a good tip

Quote:
One of the biggest challenges for content marketers is idea generation. Content marketing relies on quality and volume; you can't sacrifice one for the other.

Generating good quality content alone doesn't get the job done. A robust content marketing campaign needs a steady stream of publication-ready ideas that resonate with your customers.

If you're feeling like you're about to run out of ideas, it's time to look at some tools on the market. Here are 9 different strategies for writers and content marketers to quickly discover, develop, and test content ideas.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...-Content-Ideas

Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM

How To Write A Blog Post In 1 Hour

More tips on writing.

Quote:
In an age of Google alerts, RSS feeds and trending topics, industry news travels faster than ever. Chances are, you or your company have been hit with a breaking news blast and needed to jump at the opportunity to keep your online community in-the-know. Or, your superb inbound strategy has been bringing in so many leads that you simply don't have more than an hour a day to keep your blog updated.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...in-1-hour.html

Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 AM

The Ten Copy Writing Tricks That Every Marketing Manager Must Know

A good find.

Quote:
When it comes to effectively running a business, effective copy writing is absolutely essential. It gets your message out to your target consumers in a clear and compelling manner, helping them to understand what precisely you are selling and why they should purchase it. While copy writing is a bit of art and bit of science, remember, substance is much more important than looks. Ultimately, effective copy writing is copy writing that drives consumer action, not something that looks good on a glossy poster. S

o how can you boost your copy writing skills and successfully entice your consumers to act? Be sure to check out these essential copy-writing tricks.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...ng-tricks.html

Old 02-07-2014, 05:15 PM

How to Write the World's Worst Blog Post

Hmmmm, I should try this. lol

Quote:
People love to write about writing the perfect blog post. The world is full of blog experts ready to teach you about taking your blog to the next level. I am beginning to lose my interest. That is why I have set out to teach you how to write the worlds worst blog post.

Follow these 5 steps for writing a beautifully horrendous blog post:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...blog-post.html

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Closed Thread