Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

1 long article versus Multi-part

What do you think has more impact or might be the best approach when writing a long article - Writing one long multi-page article OR splitting it up over several articles as a series of articles?

Are their any benefits or drawbacks to one over the other?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

This is a tough question, because IMHO it depends entirely on the topic itself. Are there natural breaking points that could easily be another article? If so, then definitely consider breaking it up. It will have the advantage of giving more ways for people to find you, providing you choose unique titles for each part.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 AM
v7n Mentor

Jay, I have tried both methods, and I see negatives and positives to both.

On the one-long-article side:
Pro:
1.This enables you to present your entire case at once. With a topic that is highly technical, or one that elicits strong a emotional response, this can be a real advantage in maintaining interest.

Con:
A long drawn out article may seem imposing, or may simply bore the reader.

On the smaller-chunks side:
Pro:
1. It is somewhat easier to hold the reader's attention in smaller bites.
2. When an article is addressing two or more sub-topics, breaking it into smaller pieces will allow you to better focus on your keyword placement/density.
Con:
Interest or impact may be diminished by breaking it up into smaller portions. Emotional impact, in particular, developed in the initial article, can be lost in subsequent pieces.

Typically, I like to try to keep my articles in one piece, where it's practical. I also try to keep my freestyle article lengths in the 600-750 word range. But when writing topical pieces for others, I find that articles in the 300-400 range are what is most often sought.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM

I am not qualified enough to comment on this but an ideal article should be between 400-600 words based on the topic. However, I do know 1,000 and 1,500 word articles that have thousands of views but these are very rare cases.

I feel that 400-600 is ideal because you can put sufficient number of keywords while providing your readers with informative content. Again, splitting info into several articles is the best trick that works if you are looking for constant traffic.
1. I always observed that most people are impatient to read very lengthy stuff
2. Very less people are looking for a 'researcher' level info and for them, Wikipedia is good enough in most cases. People who go for Ezine want us to cut it short or split it nicely so that they will understand.

These factors vary slightly according to the target audience etc. Again, I am talking based on my client's comments but not from my personal experiences. If you ask me, 70% of my orders are 500 words while 250 words contribute to another 20 %. However, people who go for 250 words are usually looking for one time clicks.

This is what I personally feel and one of my client who is very successful at IM agreed with this but I am sure that breaking the rules also work pretty well.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

More advertising views and page view counts if you break it up. Not sure if that's important to you or not.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If it is a long one, you can actually make it a series so your reader will have something to look forward to. Long articles can make your reader bored, knowing the fact that a lot of online browsers does not have much time in reading long articles because some of them only use the internet in searching specific keywords and does not have much time to read long articles.

Short but juicy articles can make your readers crave for more.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

While I agree with what drmike said that is not the reason I break them up. I have read that 400-600 words is about the best size for reader attention. Sorry I can not recall the sources.

Since I can burn through 200 words just setting up the topic, my personal goal is 500 word articles though I will stop as low as 425 or go as high as 700; whatever it takes to say what needs to be said with little fluff.

I seem to get better indexing when I use a different title for the extra parts as opposed to "Article Title Part One" part two etc. The articles have to break at a natural point.

I always include a reference to what came before or comes after so that the reader has the option to read the series in order. Something along the lines, "This article continues in $title" or "This article is a continuation of $title".

Thus far I have always posted the entire series at one time rather that drag it out. Primarily that is because all the parts are needed to make the whole.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
In fact, if you have a long article, it's better to present it as one scrolling canvas than to split it across multiple pageviews. Scrolling beats paging because it's easier for users to simply keep going down the page than it is to decide whether or not to click through for the next page of a fragmented article. (Saying that scrolling is easier obviously assumes a design that follows the guidelines for scrollbars and such.)
Source: Scrolling and Attention - Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, March 22, 2010

Jakob Nielsen is a Usability expert for those who don't know who he is.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like his site could use a little "eye candy".

Personally I will keep on doing what I am doing.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

I wonder if that JC Penny shopper ever settled on a cream two-seater. (;

At least that site used 1 font. lol - I'm not a fan of the long scroller though.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

How about adding up few headings in each paragraph and adding further sub-paragraphs, It will keep the reader busy. And usually when you divide up your content in headings, bullets, paragraph it is much easier for the reader to read. IMO whenever I saw even a famous well researched very long article in 2 or 3 paragraphs I cannot read the whole article, but when it is in small paragraphs or with headings it is much easier.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:59 AM

This is very tough question. I am junior and don't know more about it. But as a user, I don't like a long article. I like a short and helpful article. So, I think we should try to create separate page for different topic.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I think 400 words is ideal for an article. List format and multi-bullet point articles are my favorite. The article needs to be broken up into short sections.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

The article is the way by which you can express our site in short. For that you can use any techniques. The ideal article is that one which is written on the basis of article subject. It may contain appropriate para, bullets for important points and so on.....

Old 04-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I always split long articles up into sections. This gives you more indexed pages from google and it also gives you more pages for your adsense adds to come up. If you are trying to make money with adsense then the more pages with good content the better.

Home Office chairs - Your home for home office chairs.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Latest Blog:
None

If the article is really long and it exceed in the ideal length of a article maybe it is suitable to divide it because if you will stick it longer the reader might get bored in reading it.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:54 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Jay, see if this article helps you out . . .

Scrolling and Attention
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/scrolling-attention.html
Quote:
In fact, if you have a long article, it's better to present it as one scrolling canvas than to split it across multiple pageviews. Scrolling beats paging because it's easier for users to simply keep going down the page than it is to decide whether or not to click through for the next page of a fragmented article. (Saying that scrolling is easier obviously assumes a design that follows the guidelines for scrollbars and such.)

Old 05-21-2010, 06:00 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Jay, see if this article helps you out . . .

Scrolling and Attention
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/scrolling-attention.html
Uggggggh! No clue how I missed that Basic had already responded with this same response! My only excuse is a new mouse that scrolls WAY too fast. Will that work for an excuse?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web