Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
No Longer Active

Commonly Misused Words

Quote:
Let’s get right to the point. Misusing words makes you look less intelligent than you really are. If you misuse words in your writing, it can damage your credibility and diminish the point you’re trying to make. Even worse, it could completely change the meaning of the sentence. http://helptutorservices.com/blog/th...s-and-phrases/
The 32 Most Commonly Misused Words and Phrases
http://helptutorservices.com/blog/th...s-and-phrases/

My mind knows the difference between all of these, but sometimes when I am typing, my fingers seem to have a mind of their own, and they type whatever word they thought I must have meant.

Of course, that means I have to proofread a lot, or ask someone to double check my articles for me. Does this happen to you too?

Do you have particular pet peeves when it comes to this issue? Do some bother you more than others? Are there any missed on the list in this article that drive you especially crazy?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I am a little surprised that you / your, there / their, and too / to / two weren't on that list. Spell checkers can't catch this type of error. You just have to read and reread.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I am a little surprised that you / your, there / their, and too / to / two weren't on that list. Spell checkers can't catch this type of error. You just have to read and reread.
Your / You're and There / Their / They're were the first that popped into mind. After that... using then for than (as in "Your not smarter then I am") is the next one that screams "marginally literate" to me. Content is important, but if the form screams at a pitch so high nobody can hear the message... it's all for naught.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:26 PM
No Longer Active

LOL! I am the queen of typos and I read typonese fluently, so I tend to be pretty understanding, especially in forum settings. When it comes to my blog or articles though, I want to know and appreciate it when someone points it out to me. Do you point mistakes out to people?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 PM
v7n Mentor

I read fluent typo myself. I commit plenty of them in forums, and sometimes I fix 'em, occasionally I don't. I'm a frequent flyer at leaving off the apostrophes in contractions thru (sic) laziness, not stupidity.

[I utterly refuse to repair the evil effects the the tool of Satan... the capslock key.]

When I see a typo it doesn't mean a lot in a forum... but when the same words are repeatedly used as if correct (especially in a blog) I figure somebody doesn't know.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you point mistakes out to people?
Not in the forum environment. I have pointed out a few to webmasters. It is always easier to see the mistakes of others than it is to see your own.

Most of the responses were a thank you. Unmitered for unmetered was the most recent find on a hosting site. Looks like the SC in FF does not recognize either of those words.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM
v7n Mentor

Love the list. Those items make me crazy as well.

I have a friend who is a professional at a major company who uses 'there' for 'their'. It shocks me every time I see it and I've been completely at a loss on how to tell her. (She's a very serious person and I'd feel like a bossy know-it-all if I said anything. Much akin to a discourteous but honest comment like, "those jeans make your behind look ... fat" You want to say it but you just know you can't.) I guess I'll try to use there/their/they're correctly in my next email to her. Maybe she'll absorb it indirectly.

Does anyone else feel strongly about the verbification (that's my new word) of nouns in our language?

Words like party and disrespect. "They are disrespecting me." <shudder> LOL

Well, if you all ever see me misspelling or misusing the English language in my blogs or when starting new threads, please let me know. (I do tend to be more casual in a forum - so only if it is horrible, please.)

Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Does anyone else feel strongly about the verbification (that's my new word) of nouns in our language?

Words like party and disrespect. "They are disrespecting me." <shudder> LOL
Reminds me of the short-lived attempt to have "ebonics" recognized as a language, and yes, it drives me nuts.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
Reminds me of the short-lived attempt to have "ebonics" recognized as a language, and yes, it drives me nuts.
Next thing ya know, you will be telling me that NUFFIN aint a word.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM
v7n Mentor

While we're at it we could always make any odd form of speaking into a language regardless of how absurd. Personally I like to speak Suessian.
I do not like the way you talk.
I do not like the way you walk.
The way you talk, the way you walk, it makes me want to pull my Glock.
If you talked less I would be nice. I'd thank you once, and maybe twice.
I'd thank you on the open road. I'd thank you til my beard o'er growed.
I'd gladly shake your little hand, if you'd talk like a sober man.
But no, you choose to speak in jive. It's not a language, though it thrive.
You jiving folk can't be controlled.
And thus my story is now told.
Thank you... thank you very much. Next show at 7PM. Please don't forget to tip your waitress.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM
No Longer Active

Which brings another thought to mind . . .

Is it ever okay to have intentional misspellings? As an example, do you really think that this site would be nearly as popular without the unusual spellings? How about someone using a very causal manner of speaking if they are writing for a redneck blog?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Works for me, I do it all the time. Difference between doing it for effect vs not knowing any better.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 PM
v7n Mentor

I don't mind typos, especially in forums, but incorrect usage really bugs me - like the to/too/two thing.

One that really bugs me is specific to some of the forums I frequent: stalk and stock. Correct usage would be "Help me stalk the store so I can get the item I want when it stocks"

My biggest pitfall is typing "andy" instead of "and" - that's what happens when your oldest child is named Andy, LOL!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Sure that example is a rednek site. The captions should be in the proper language.

That pendulum kitty picture OTH is just plain bad.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:10 PM

If u sne any misbelling in my posts or bad grandmer....please check the klock....
I nurally have my 1st cocktale about 9 pn...
Thanks you.......

Old 03-18-2010, 07:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

Is it ever okay to have intentional misspellings? As an example, do you really think that this site would be nearly as popular without the unusual spellings? How about someone using a very causal manner of speaking if they are writing for a redneck blog?
I think there could be a difference in accidental misspellings, which makes readers question your intelligence, and intentional misspellings that are done for stylistic reasons, like the cheezburger or redneck examples.

OTOH, when considering those specific examples I would assume a kitten wouldn't know how to spell, and the stereotype of a redneck is someone who wouldn't score terribly high on the SATs. In both instances the intentional misspellings reinforce the original idea that misspellings make you look less intelligent than you really are.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:37 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
and the stereotype of a redneck is someone who wouldn't score terribly high on the SATs.
LOL. Oh now you're just gonna get all personal about it.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
v7n Mentor

On forums, I don't pay a lot of attention to typos, as we all are guilty now and then. But misuse of words like they're/there/their or to/too/two drive me nuts! I will sometimes make an effort to ensure that my response has the correct usage in it, but I'll rarely point it out directly. Most of the forums I frequent have an international membership, and I'm sure their English is better than what I could do in their language, so correcting them just doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Great list! I love it! My mother was an English teacher ... really, she was a speech professor, but I was taught to value the correct use of language.

Quote:
LOL! I am the queen of typos and I read typonese fluently, so I tend to be pretty understanding, especially in forum settings. When it comes to my blog or articles though, I want to know and appreciate it when someone points it out to me. Do you point mistakes out to people?
I do and they mostly don't seem to like it. I, on the other hand, very much appreciate an editor. I make a lot of typos .... and when I find one on my website, I am always surprised no one has ever pointed it out. I really really really want you to tell me when you see any language error. Or error of fact.

My mother taught me to accept criticism. She did it by telling me what I had done right before she told me what I could do if I wanted to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
#25 and #27; the '2s' were missing, though ...
Quote:

I used to have arguments with John Britios (aka Webnauts) about whether it was okay to used misspellings. I wouldn't advise it in straight content, but I think to put a group of words (both correctly and incorrectly spelled) at the bottom of the page labeled Keywords or Tag Cloud made sense at one time, especially before G got really good at returning relevant results for misspelled strings.

I did once write a paragraph on an FAQ page that said. Keyword is often misspelled keywrod, kyewrod and kyeword. The page converted.

I have lots of other buttons around language use. I totally relate to your pet peeve about nouns as verbs, Shellie. I am irritated by "growing" your business. I am not fond of nite for night. And the trend for people to say "Bob took Jim and *I* to the game," when no one would ever say "Bob took I to the game when Jim was sick," saddens me. I have to remind myself that it's a living language.

Superb thread.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator

English is very hard to learn when it's your second language. Some native English speaking people also get confused which word to use when.

Found this tool while Stumbling:
Quote:
Confusing Words is a collection of 3210 words that are troublesome to readers and writers. Words are grouped according to the way they are most often confused or misused.

Some of these words are homonyms (words that sound alike but are spelled differently) and some are just commonly confused.
Confusing Words

If you click the resulting word it tells you when to use it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web