Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

What Is Your Biggest Challenge With Writing?

When it comes to writing for the web, what is your biggest challenge? What specific improvements would you like to make? Why? Have you started a plan to makes these improvements?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

For a couple of my sites it is thinking of something that hasn't been done a 1000 times.

Otherwise it is simply finding the time for the site where I can write a 1000 articles.

I also have to be in the mood. Snowed in a few weeks back I wrote about 6000 words, 11-12 articles in a few hours over 2 days. This week I have pecked away writing one.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I'd echo what ScriptMan says... coming up with unique ideas that hasn't been covered 1,000s of times is a challenge. But with some creativity it can be done.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

For me, the biggest challenge is writing on purpose.

If a topic hits an emotional chord with me, or it is something I am passionate about, I can write about it all day long. It happens automatically. However, the flip side is sitting down and actually writing about a topic without emotion being part of it - - the words just won't come.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
For me, the biggest challenge is writing on purpose.

If a topic hits an emotional chord with me, or it is something I am passionate about, I can write about it all day long. It happens automatically. However, the flip side is sitting down and actually writing about a topic without emotion being part of it - - the words just won't come.
Yep I am the same and it can be very frustrating just trying to get those first few sentences. Usually after that its not to bad.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:05 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I have trouble keeping the topic on track. One idea always spawns numerous others and can turn a small exerpt into a novella.

My daughter rules!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Just trying to be unique is a major challenge now a days. The internet made it very easy for anyone to have a voice, now the hard part is making sure you have a voice that someone wants to hear. Sometimes it seems that the only way to get people excited, is to do or say something controversial just for the shock value, but that's just not a road I want to go down.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM
v7n Mentor

My biggest challenge is time - I need a good chunk of uninterrupted time to be able to write. If I get interrupted it takes forever to get back into it again.

My other challenge is to make sure I don't fall into dry, businesslike writing: we did this, we did that, then we did the other thing. BORING!

Cloth diapers can be fun?? You betcha - come and see! www.Zany-Zebra.com

Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

My biggest challenge is finding the correct blend of keywords so that each page will place well in the SERS and read well, inform and market to human visitors. To accomplish this I try not to be overly concerned about finding the right blend when I initially publish a page. Instead, I get a basic form uploaded and make refinements at a later date. Often I wait a couple of weeks before making changes because then I have a better perspective on the subject.

When it comes to implementing changes I don't have a real specific plan although I keep a prioritized list of changes/ pages to add that I would like to make while staying flexible about making those changes. For example, some changes are easier to make than others so if I have a little time for changes but I'm really tired I'll work on easy changes and save the harder ones for another day.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 AM
v7n Mentor

I thought of another one: I have a harder time writing about me and for my websites than about someone else or for their websites. It's the "can't see the forest for the trees" thing - I'm too close to my websites to see them as objectively as I see other websites.

Cloth diapers can be fun?? You betcha - come and see! www.Zany-Zebra.com

Old 03-19-2010, 01:33 PM
v7n Mentor

Funny, I don't have a problem writing. When I make up my mind that tomorrow morning after breakfast, I'm gonna knock out five different articles, I just sit down and do it. It's the more creative stuff that gives me fits. I took three years to write my first book, because the juices just wouldn't flow on demand. Thank goodness it was just a disjointed collection of anecdotes! If I had actually had to follow a storyline, I'd have been stuck without a paddle!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

My biggest challenge is in focusing on the article itself. I seem to get sidetracked and although writing.....I always seem to be rambling on and on.

The article (or content) is never as good as everyone elses, i need to learn how to focus

Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well, we all want to create a unique and new ideas, that is really a challenge to every writer. Giving your reader something to look forward to is really a big challenge for me, many readers can easily get bored with articles that has the same thought and providing them something new is something that i can consider as a reward for myself.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Spelling. I kid you not. That part of my brain doesn't work right. Never has. The tremor doesn't help either.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

The biggest problem for me is sometime proper grammar and the writings to be more interesting which delivers the idea to the reader. And the other problem I have while writing is how do I find unique content for my blogs that does not look like it was on other websites or blogs as well.!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

For me,the biggest problem is mental block. When you are in the middle of writing an article and you suddenly forget what was in your mind and you start thinking over again. That is the ultimate frustration in writing.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

My biggest challenge is writing in passive voice. I seem to naturally write in passive voice all the time. Editors tell me have an engaging style and they love my ideas, but they hate passive voice. If you have any books you could recommend that would be wonderful! Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Smile Writer's block

Writer's block.

I start off well, but get confused in the middle about how to proceed further.

I always do lot of research on a particular topic, so that if I get confused in one article, I can start off second immediately without wasting my time.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

My problem is, I have problem with the structuring of the content. I get confused with putting the right thing at the right place.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadir View Post
Writer's block.

I start off well, but get confused in the middle about how to proceed further.

I always do lot of research on a particular topic, so that if I get confused in one article, I can start off second immediately without wasting my time.
Hey thats what happens to me too. May be a lot of researching creates this problem. does this mean we should limit our research?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web