Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

My outlines used to be elaborate - so much that my outline usually consisted of half my writings. Hundreds of words of description of what i was going to write.

Now my outlines consist of one or two words on each of my sections. As you write more you dont need to outline as much. comes naturall

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
v7n Mentor

Generally no outline, but lately I've been undertaking some huge projects that require some foresight. So yes, lately I've been using outlines to help find where I am going before I get there, so it's less editing I have to do when it's all complete.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:59 PM

Every writer actually have different styles when writing an article. There are those who can just type away and come up with great reads. Others need more organization and planning. But as far as using an outline, I think it can surely help especially when writing about something you are not too particular about.

IMHO.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

I do not write any outline while writing an article. I just begin and write as the thoughts come by.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 PM

I do, I'd be lost without an outline. It's like a master plan and it helps me keep focused.

I think it would be best to be old-fashioned about it. YES, take out your paper and pen and fold the paper into 4 quarters. Then you start writing about your ideas.

for example, if I am to review a cell phone I would have 4 sections

INTRODUCTION
- talk about company
- talk about similar phones
- talk about the line

FEATURES
- see online site for full specs

LIMITATIONS
- no flash!

UNIQUE SELLING POINT
- big touch screen
- 11mp camera!!!! biggest mp?

this way, when I start writing, I have a roadmap as to where to go, what to blabber about... etc.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

Making outline research helps you a lot in writing good article and avoid loss of topic flow. For example if you read something about the topic and keep in mind about writing in article there is no guarantee whether you will remember it or not. In these situations outline helps you a lot.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Follow Your MAP to Greater Writing Productivity

I was just on the copyblogger blog and found this blog post related to using "outlines" when brain storming. Please take a look at the full blog post when you have a chance.

Quote:
When you hear the word “outline,” do you give a little shudder?

You’re not alone. For so many of us, the outline evokes painful memories of five-paragraph essays, clumsy thesis statements, and prayers for snow days.

Outlines tend to make writers, especially younger ones, feel confined and boxed in, forced to quell their creativity for the sake of structure.

It’s time to let those middle school nightmares go. An outline can be so much more than where Roman numerals go to die.

In fact, when you learn the right approach, an outline can actually make you a better writer. I know it sounds hard to believe, but keep reading and I’ll explain what I mean.
Continued at: Follow Your MAP to Greater Writing Productivity

Old 09-25-2010, 07:27 AM
v7n Mentor

You know I had kind of forgotten that concept after good old sister mary whatchamacallit drilled it into me, through me, beyond me, under and over me. But ya know maybe if I went back to it I may not have to write 98 drafts to achieve the end result.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 AM

I use an outline.

I always need an outline before really truly writing an article or similar things. If not, I am easy to go far from the topic I need to write on.

However, to create an outline, I need to write a lot of things which is not in the outline :-P

Old 10-04-2010, 03:53 AM

I must confess that I hated making an outline when I was in school more than I hated writing the paper. There were no computers in those days. Screw it up and you started with a fresh sheet and did it all again. When I had to turn them both in, I found it easier to write the paper and then make the outline to match. If that makes me a cheater, it was one with great grades.

If I am doing casual writing, such as for my personal blog. I jot down ideas as I think of them, just thoughts and phrases that have jumped into my mind while doing other things. For some unknown reason I can write weeks of entire blog posts while in the shower, or out on a photo shoot, but quickly forget them, so I have to jot things down. Eventually I just have a bunch of stuff that adds up. I mess around with it until I have what I want.

Last edited by snakeair; 10-04-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

I used an outline a couple of times.. It made me feel like my work is really organize.. and when I am about to be done with the outline I made, makes me feel that I am at the end.. Also the outline helps me get reminded of all the things I have to write on.. BTW, nice blog mr.snakeair.. I often use the process listed their when I am doing my outline..

Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 AM

I like using keywords and pointing the reader in the direction I want to take them ... I also feel it is much easier to follow when I do that

Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 PM

I use a simple process:
- generate an idea and thesis statement
- research (and document the research)
- create a simple outline (mostly bullet points)
- Write
- Revise

I basically keep expanding on the outline, so I don't find it a waste of time. It helps me stay on track.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

How to Create an Outline For Your Article

Just giving this one a bump.

Quote:
We’ve done it through junior high, it expanded through high school, then in college it became chapters. No matter how many times a person has done it, writing articles has proven to be a task many have continuously avoided. Now at a time when writing articles could help your job or work, facing the job at hand can be still faced difficulty.

While there are a great number of people who do not have the same attitude in article writing as others, there are still those who would rather walk in piping hot coals than do some article writing. What sets other people apart from others towards article writing is that they are prepared and have some methods and procedures in writing articles.

One of the methods you can use to prepare yourself when tasked to write an article is creating an outline first. Creating an outline for all your articles will make you better prepared. You have an idea of what to do first and make a plan for your succeeding steps. Being prepared makes the job easier and faster. Being organized will allow for disorientation to be shunned away.

An outline can act as the design or blueprint for your article. This will guide you in creating the introduction, body, and conclusion of your article. Here in point, you...
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/03/1...-your-article/

Thoughts on this blog post? Also if you have any more tips, please share them with us. Is using a outline better for you? I just write off the topic of my head and spend a hour editing.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 PM
v7n Mentor

In junior high I was one of those nerds that competed in UIL ready writing... possibly because I was fair at it, but more likely because I wasn't quite nerdy enough to compete in slide rule. We had to be capable of turning out a coherent paper in a timed event without knowing the topic until some bozo was about to click a stopwatch. That was obviously before PCs (they still ran our assignments out on mimeograph machines as I recall)... so when it's going to be hard copy in a few minutes you had to learn to mentally outline in record time.

It was nerve racking at the time, but now outlines form in my head as soon as a topic is proposed, so I guess I owe a debt of gratitude to the teacher that made me do it.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

In most situations, I do not make outlines.

My personal reasons match RobJones; I'm not trying to brag, but I have a mindset that has been developed to come up with as many answers, solutions or ideas for whatever is put in front of it as fast as possible.

However, my main reason for no outlines is because I guess I have a bit of an odd approach to writing.

The way I do it is simply write, write, write... write some more, and then write a bit more. I keep writing about whatever I need to write about until I feel content with the amount of writing I have. Then I simply go through and poke, prod, rend, tear, replace, move, strike-out, put in, and do whatever I need to do to make it as grand a piece of work as possible.

I like this approach because it doesn't require that mind-bending brainstorming phase that I really despise when it comes to copy writing. I just like to write about my topic, and then go through and fix whatever needs to be fixed. This could be perceived as an outline, sure. However, I look at an outline as a bullet list of points you're trying to make, or a cloud of ideas and stuff that you have to create a coherent piece out of.

Another reason I like this approach is because, even though it's not an outline, it does allow me to get ALL of the stuff I need on the page... onto the page! And more often than not, I can remember what I've already said and keep on a decently straight path till I'm done writing (no redundancy or saying stupid stuff that makes no sense / contradicts previous copy). Sometimes I don't even change anything on my proofreading.

Yes, it sounds like I'm an arrogant SOB that thinks I'm so great so I don't need to proofread, but it's more the point of the WAY I write than anything my boss likes it, so I think it's working

Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Yes, it sounds like I'm an arrogant SOB
You're from Texas too?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjones View Post
You're from Texas too?
Close - my entire family descends from the South

However, I am a born and bred Oregonian

Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 AM
v7n Mentor

I use bullet points and word, simply because, it helps me stay on track, and it helps give a more structured flow to what I write. It's a base bullet point wireframe where I decide what I'm going to cover, and how deep I'm going to go. Other than that, that's it, and then I write. Most times, because it's the stuff I've been doing over my years online, it's nothing I research as I'm incessantly reading all the time to keep up anyways. This way works for me and helps keep me away from article creep.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 AM

4 Steps

Here's my Outline:

1. What is the Proiduct/Service
2. What does it do
3. Why the reader needs it
4. Where they can get it

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web