Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Writing Press Releases

Creating this thread as a resource for articles and other help when writing press releases.

Please add your tips and applicable articles here so we build a great resource.

Seeing this is in the Writing for the Web section of V7N, we aren't talking about where to promote your press release, just how to create a great one!

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Which Of These Rookie Mistakes Are You Making?

Quote:
Press releases continue to be a staple of the marketing and PR world. The value of a press release (in terms of generating actual press) is debatable. But, I think there's still some value to them and that's likely why so many companies (particularly B2B companies) still use them.

One thing I have been surprised by is the number of simple mistakes people make when crafting a press release. I'm not talking about the content itself, but the structural aspects of a press release The stuff that's easy to fix. The stuff that reduces the value you could get be getting from press releases if you don't get them right....
Continued: Press Releases: Which Of These Rookie Mistakes Are You Making?

The article covers 7 basic mistakes people make when creating a press release and how to fix them.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 03-20-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

That was a good and interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I've always wondered what a press release could do then I got the impression in the comments that just about anyone can write up a press release about just about anything and send it out - how do they sift through the trash if so many people do them and so few of them are news worthy? Kind of makes me wonder what the point is if ultimately it comes down to whether or not 'they' think it's news worthy.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
1. Write the headline. It should be brief, clear and to the point: an ultra-compact version of the press release’s key point.
2. Write the press release body copy. The press release should be written as you want it to appear in a news story.
3. Communicate the 5 Ws and the H. Who, what, when, where, why, and how. Then consider the points below if pertinent.
4. Include information about the company. When a journalist picks up your press release for a story, he/she would logically have to mention the company in the news article. Journalists can then get the company information from this section.
5. Tie it together. Provide some extra information links that support your press release.
6. Add contact information. If your press release is really newsworthy, journalists would surely like more information or would like to interview key people associated with it.
7. Signal the end of the press release with three # symbols, centered directly underneath the last line of the release. This is a journalistic standard.
You can read thorough explanation here: How to Write a Press Release

Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Latest Blog:
None

These are all great recommendations. However, I have my two cents to ADD. I worked for many years in the media in all three branches, TV, Radio and Press, and if there is one thing reporters hated was a LONG and boring Press Release. We never really read past the third or fourth paragraph. So, remember that the purpose is to make an important announcement. It is important to include a paragraph with company information, either on the top of the Press Release or at the very bottom, there is no exact format so that much is a matter of preference.

Do include a company link, some keywords (but do not overdue it), and always remember to inform.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Press Release are really helpful for marketing of new products. It must be quality article and covering all the specification of the product and service. It should be in natural way.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator

How to Write a Press Release Part 1: Filling the Blank Page
Quote:
It’s no secret that submitting press releases can help you build link popularity and ultimately help with internet marketing company of your website.

So where to start?

To most people, a blank page may seem empty; but in the eyes of a writer there are ideas, stories, and secrets already on that page. This is no different for a press release. Your job is to fill a page with news. But what makes particular story news? Or better yet, who makes a story news? That is a tough question to answer. In all honesty, anyone can make it into the news; you don’t have to be escaping rehab or breaking up with one of Hollywood’s hottest actors to do it. While people are busy searching for the latest on Lindsay Lohan or Brad Pitt wishing they had that kind of fame, you could be getting that fame with a well written press release, published and used all over the Web.
Part 2: Less is Sometimes More With Press Release Distribution

Part 3: Targeting Your Press Release With Google Trends

Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Well,in terms of marketing, it's a story that may interest the general public or a market segment relating to your business or organization. The format is a cross between an "article" and an "ad".

The advantage of Press Release is that most press release sites has an archive; so it's an ongoing form of promotion. The search engine may pick up on the release when it is published on other sites. This creates another avenue for people to find you and to possibly improve your search engine rankings through link popularity factors.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContentArticleWriter View Post
These are all great recommendations. However, I have my two cents to ADD. I worked for many years in the media in all three branches, TV, Radio and Press, and if there is one thing reporters hated was a LONG and boring Press Release. We never really read past the third or fourth paragraph. So, remember that the purpose is to make an important announcement. It is important to include a paragraph with company information, either on the top of the Press Release or at the very bottom, there is no exact format so that much is a matter of preference.

Do include a company link, some keywords (but do not overdue it), and always remember to inform.
Thank you for this. I also used to work with the media and honestly had forgotten the points you make here. My press releases will be shorter and sweeter from here on out.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonays View Post
You can read thorough explanation here: How to Write a Press Release
Hi,

Thanks for these information I have already done submitting press releases but I haven't done writing press release, because the articles are just past to me. But because of that article I think I can now make now maybe it is not like a professional but at least I can now make one and try to improve soon.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

One point I've started using of late with my press releases is the use of quoting a decision maker. In my case I either quote myself, or my business partner in regard to new relationships or avenues that we're taking our business.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Good article. I have written a handful of press relases for clients. I use a template and go with a basic format. I need to start writing releases for my business.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Administrator

7 Reasons Your Press Release Sucks

Quote:
DiggAs a writer I’m constantly trying to learn from my own mistakes and the mistakes of other writers. That’s why I like to occasionally visit some of those free press release distribution websites. It’s unfortunate, but the vast majority of press releases on those sites flat out suck. Why? Because they usually make one or more of these common mistakes. ...
7 Reasons Your Press Release Sucks

This resource has a whole bunch of press release writing articles.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Administrator

How To Write A Press Release – 12 Top Tips

Quote:
A press release is the standard way to alert the media, and increasingly, the online public, about what you are doing or selling.

The press release forms part of the public relations artillery and should be used wisely. Though mostly written and distributed by PR professionals, you too can competently write your own press releases, if you keep the following 12 key points in mind
How To Write A Press Release – 12 Top Tips

Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The biggest problem that I see with many press releases is that they simply aren't "newsworthy". They are just sales text for a business.

I don't think it's worth writing a PR unless you really have something new to say.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web