Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 04-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

Passive Voice!

It seems like I naturally write in passive voice all the time. Some editors hate this. How to change this bad habit?? Any tips??

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Practice...try to rewrite some of your old articles so you won't loose too much time...
Best thing to do is to have the problem every time in your mind, and to try to fix it...

Old 04-05-2010, 12:45 PM

I'm also not a fan of passive voice, but sometimes, I find it hard to avoid. When I write, I try to be mindful of all the passive voice words, such as "is," "are," "has verb," "had been," etc., that I start to write, and then I change them to active verbs.

Also, when you edit your first draft, look out for your use of passive voice and change it. And as mangome said, it takes practice.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Banned

you can do one more thing, that you find out some articles with less passive voice. find and make a collection of those article you feel peferct. and when you sit to write your article, write down it first, then you pick up any of your collection and then after reading that one peicefully, you rewrite your article.
it will surely help in positive manner.
thanks..

Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangome View Post
Practice...try to rewrite some of your old articles so you won't loose too much time...
Best thing to do is to have the problem every time in your mind, and to try to fix it...
Agree. Writers can right effectively if they experience those thing or they have at least a knowledge about the topic. Make it realistic though. Don't just visualized, you can go through it and you'll never lost a word to write. Great writers from a magazine or a columnist of a newspapers often do that.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

I prefer Active voice -it is direct and easier to understand, the active voice is preferable to the passive voice. With the active voice a subject (noun) acts (verb) on an object (noun). In the passive voice the object is acted on by the subject.

For example:

Active: Andy kicked the ball

Passive: The ball was kicked by Andy.

However, Writers must learn to use the passive voice sparingly and with intent. There are instances when using the passive voice is more appropriate. For example, using the passive voice is ideal if you do not want to assign an object or an action to a particular subject. Hence, the passive style of writing is often used in business letters and business reports.

Examples:

The files have been sent.
Unauthorized charges have been discovered.
The meeting has been adjourned.

In the above examples, there is no need to declare who sent the files, who discovered the unauthorized charges, or who dismissed the meeting. Thus, using the passive voice is not only convenient, but applicable as well.

Here's some guide guide for you: http://freelancewriting.suite101.com...in_web_content

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web