Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

View Poll Results: Do you think that copywriting is far different from traditional content writing??
Yes 5 71.43%
No 0 0%
Can't say 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Share |
Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 AM

Thumbs down Copywriting

Copywriting is a kind of art, which includes writing any kind of advertising material. It is not like simple content writing. Content writing is all about generating some contents describing product or services offered.

On the other hand, copywriting is not a simple task. It requires some marketing knowledge. The person who is expert in copywriting is known as copywriter. Copywriting improves our business opportunities and attracts more customers in turn increase in sell. I heard about many famous copywriter but Bill fryer is one who has a great proven record for copywriting.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 AM
Contributing Member

So called 'good' copywriters come with a heavy price tag. It is not cheap to get one either.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Banned

the good copywriters use the same headlines and templates each time.... why? because they work!

Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 PM

I voted "can't say"....because there was no yes and no choice.....

I have been writing for; heck I don't know, too many years......
And have read several books written by the pros....

I understand the principles...the hard sell... the push to close ...the call to action...

I really believe that the public is developing an immunity to that style....

For example.....once you have been on the net for awhile ...how do you respond to "I know a ditch digger that made 50 grand in one week with this secret"?

Yeah...and me too...I think it is getting overworked.....

I believe that a softer, more explanatory, type sales letter will work....

IF...I ever get my sites (multiple) finished ...we will see...

Just my feelings.....

Old 04-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Marketing & Social Media Mentor

I am a copywriter, I have been a content writer. Two totally different animals. Both start in the same place, understanding your reader. Studying the psychology of why we buy what we do has been extremely helpful in increasing sales from my copy.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:36 AM

Thumbs up

Hi all,

I am really agree with maine. At the point, I would like to tell you that copywriting is a quality work which takes lots of efforts and marketing skills. So, it is little expensive, But when the quality matters, nothing is important.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

A good copywriter must know a lot about sentence jumbling and stuff like that.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

What exactly do you mean by a "good copywriter"? Can a person with basic writing skills become a good copywriter? Where would one start a copy writing career?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janedoe View Post
What exactly do you mean by a "good copywriter"? Can a person with basic writing skills become a good copywriter? Where would one start a copy writing career?
Anyone can become a copy writer. You just have to know your stuff to get jobs..etc

You could learn a lot from this one blog. http://www.copyblogger.com/copywriting-101/

Old 05-29-2010, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

It is different...

But article writing can be a hard too.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:34 AM
v7n Mentor

I would love to see a clear definition of what copy writing is vs. content writing. Are you defining copy writing the hard sale, direct market style of copy? What about SEO copywriting? Do you see that more as content writing with SEO principles in mind? Or should an SEO copywriter understand calls to action and other "sales" copy writing?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
I would love to see a clear definition of what copy writing is vs. content writing. Are you defining copy writing the hard sale, direct market style of copy? What about SEO copywriting? Do you see that more as content writing with SEO principles in mind? Or should an SEO copywriter understand calls to action and other "sales" copy writing?
Good example of content writing is probably every blog which is written by the knowledgeable person who is expert in some niche. No matter what is the niche the content writer need to be well informed and somehow expert in this field. As an example of good content writing I would like to present doking xd.The information and data source for this article I found in the Croatian magazine and I was one of the first authors which offered information about this in English. There were more articles about this after me, but this page still receive a lot of traffic and it is on the third place on Google on term "doking xd".
Copy writing is probably very similar with content writing but in the second half of the article you call the reader to do some action. It is not need to be a sale (generally it is) but also any other action like leaving contact (mail, telephone number) or something else...
SEO copy writing can mean different things...
1. An article which will explain the basic of SEO and call the reader to use SEO services.
2. Article which can be on other niche but written with SEO principles in mind and call the reader to use the service or product which is explained in the article...

Last edited by snakeair; 08-26-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: use the signature feature

Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
I would love to see a clear definition of what copy writing is vs. content writing.
Copywriting sells goods, products and services whereas content writing generally provides information.

Copywriting is often referred to as salesmanship-in-print. It is making the connection between the seller and the buyers emotions. Most people buy on emotion. When people are looking for something, whatever it may be, often they'll be in a position of emotional frustration or pain.

The job of the professional copywriter is therefore to put across the benefits of the product or service in question, so the buyer can justify the purchase in their own mind.

A very good copywriter will know that every single word, sentence and paragraph used, conveys emotion on the part of the reader. The copywriters role then is to lead the reader on a journey psychologically, nurturing the reader into a specific direct call to action.

If you need further clarification, please ask and I'll go further with this vein of thought.

Best regards,

Mark Andrews...

Old 10-02-2010, 02:36 AM

Smile Copywriting

I am a copywriter and a content writer both. I have been facing such problems a lot. Thanks for the share!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:37 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post
Copywriting sells goods, products and services whereas content writing generally provides information.

Copywriting is often referred to as salesmanship-in-print. It is making the connection between the seller and the buyers emotions. Most people buy on emotion. When people are looking for something, whatever it may be, often they'll be in a position of emotional frustration or pain.

The job of the professional copywriter is therefore to put across the benefits of the product or service in question, so the buyer can justify the purchase in their own mind.

A very good copywriter will know that every single word, sentence and paragraph used, conveys emotion on the part of the reader. The copywriters role then is to lead the reader on a journey psychologically, nurturing the reader into a specific direct call to action.
So, the essential difference between content writing and copy writing is that the latter is promotional in nature. Copywriting is intended to market a product of service; the reader, it is hoped, will take a specific action.

Traditionally, copywriters were associated with advertising agencies - and wrote ad copy or direct marketing spiels. Now, they are associated with websites which seem to have only one endless page expounding the benefits of a product guaranteed to rock your world.

Content writing, on the other hand, is a term that arose with the Internet and the need for writers who could fill a website with relevant information. Content writers are not expected to craft the content with persuasive ideas, nor are they expected to end each segment with a call to action.

SEO copywriting adds yet another layer - an understanding of what sells a page to the search engines!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 AM

Anyone can be a good copywriter. Practice makes perfect. There is a type of copywriting that is really friendly to the search engine.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web