Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

My articles are being used

I wrote some very well written content rich stock market articles. I was doing a search and found that 4 other site copied my contact. Literally didn't change they even left my name chuck hughes in there. What should I do I tried call a lawyer and got the run around.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Copyright has been discussed a number of times here in the forums. Some folks will say to contact the webmaster in question with a C&D. I've never gotten anywhere with doing so. (If they're going to steal your content, I doubt they'll listen to you when you complain.) Best bet would be to contact the webhost in question and cc the datacenter with a C&D.

There's also a subforum on the topic:

http://www.v7n.com/forums/legal-issues/

Give this thread a read for more details and some links and specifics:

http://www.v7n.com/forums/legal-issu...olen-text.html

I will point out though that including your name would be seen by some as being allowed under fair use as you've received credit for the article.

How you have your article licensed may also be an issue:

http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7680

Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Nah, a lawyer can't help you on that.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafderamas View Post
Nah, a lawyer can't help you on that.
I politely disagree with that as every client related C&D I've gotten from a corporation has come from an attorney. We get more concerning domain names though and possible trademark violations concerning domain names.

C&Ds from the average person are another matter of course. Lots of CAPITAL LETTERS and suggestions of things to do with my mother. Gotta admit that I think it;s funny that if the complainer has taken the time to figure out who the host is which requires a bit of intelligence since not everybody knows how to do a whois or a rdns request, I would think they would act in such a manner when sending a request.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

it always happen. some are grabbing it when you dugg it. and don't even link where they get the article.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

nothing you can do about it. hopefully your links were also scraped. well at least they left your name there.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayboss View Post
nothing you can do about it. hopefully your links were also scraped. well at least they left your name there.
There is something you can do about it, issue a Cease and Desist letter to the site owner and if that doesn't work, send a copy to their domain registrar and web hosting.

drMike already mentioned looking the Legal Issues section but we also have a Copyright Resources thread.

PlagiarismToday is also a good site to read. Jonathan has sample Cease and Desist letters for you to follow. Just make sure they include all the info the domain registrar and web hosting company want.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 PM

if nothing is changed it is plageurism, what i suggest is copy the site's cache and then (once u have proof) email them and try to negotiate something . this is if u r up to some money before u take it to court.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 PM

It is legal to copy article content so long as nothing is altered from the article content and that is including the authurs name and backlinks.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Banned

If you have copyright act or you placed copyright logo in your site you can sue the people in court.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueseo View Post
If you have copyright act or you placed copyright logo in your site you can sue the people in court.
You need to review the provided links as your opinion about copyright is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycrested View Post
It is legal to copy article content so long as nothing is altered from the article content and that is including the authurs name and backlinks.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariantym View Post
if nothing is changed it is plageurism, what i suggest is copy the site's cache and then (once u have proof) email them and try to negotiate something . this is if u r up to some money before u take it to court.
That would open you up to a harassment charge probably. Also make it look like you;re just looking for money. Any decent attorney will tell you to send the C&D first to get the article off line and then discuss a settlement.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Banned

If the purchaser had bought the article under the condition that full rights have gone to him then he is entitled to use even his name in the article. Please check the rights you have offered for the purchaser.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
If the purchaser had bought the article under the condition that full rights have gone to him then he is entitled to use even his name in the article. Please check the rights you have offered for the purchaser.
If you had read the opening post you would know that this is not the case.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

Complain to the site where article has been published. Send them mail about copying with original article.

Chances are that article may be removed from published site.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike View Post
I will point out though that including your name would be seen by some as being allowed under fair use as you've received credit for the article.

How you have your article licensed may also be an issue:

http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7680
Crediting you does not make plagiarism right, not even under Creative Commons or fair use laws. But again, they make licensing and copyright a very difficult process. Chances are, if you complain, the Webmaster will just take down your content and not pay you (which for me is not favorable as Google would have indexed their site long before you found out about it.)

Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
Crediting you does not make plagiarism right, not even under Creative Commons or fair use laws.
Thanks for not reading the link that I gave. It gave a perfect example of how someone licensed their material and another company used it under that license.

If you license something under a Creative Commons license, such as Attribution 3.0, you have already given permission to others to use their work as long as correct attribution is given to the copyright holder. No additional permission needs to be given.

Edit: It would not be a case of plagiarism.

Last edited by drmike; 06-10-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Send Email to those sites's webmasters.
Find and send a email to their's web hosting provider, they will help you. It's a strong way.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM

I think drmike and HTML have made the most sensible recommendations. Most people seem to forget that there are Copyright Laws that protect original content published online. The problem exists in the fact that most people fail to act upon it. They just let it go. The first step should be the Cease and Desist. You should politely ask that person to remove the content. You can even site the act where digital content is protected. This act is most commonly referred to as the DMCA, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

Hopefully that will scare the person enough to remove whatever content was taken from your site. If nothing happens, then your next step should be the host. If you still have no answer there, then you can send letters to the major search engines explaining everything you have done to make this person remove the stolen content, and hopefully that will cause their site to be removed from indexing.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Contributing Member

Best bet is to ontact the webmaster with a C&D. as drmike said, he has technically creditted you by using your name in the post, but theres not really much you can do about it now IMO. If he changed the name it ould be theft, but he hasn't, so it isnt..

Old 06-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Banned

hey email them they will delet that post i have also faced the same and they deleted my content from there pages

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web