Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 09-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Writing Article vs Writing Quality Article

I heard often that search engines rank higher quality articles instead of simple articles.

What is the purpose to write for example a high quality article for something very generic that will help consummer to decide to shop the products. Do we really need as ecommerce owners to provide scientific terms for ingredients or scientific approach to sell products?

From my statistics, my customers spend less than 7 minutes to make their orders. The search engine engineer like Matt Cutts suggested that ecommerce owners should write or provide more about the products or create more contents. Well we did that but it seems like the search engines don't like it very well and a few people actually read it.

What people enjoy reading from us are articles where they can learn something in our niche rather about the product articles, which could help the visitors to choose our products.

We put our main effort in our educative articles because people like them and yes there are quality articles.

What I am trying to say is why should we create or provide quality articles that people and search engines are not too much interested in?

You can take it whatever way you want, a coconut lotion is a coconut lotion, if you did not try it yet, you will never know the quality of the product.
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM
SevenL_Will SevenL_Will is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-03-10
Location: Toronto
Posts: 143
iTrader: 0 / 0%
If you are writing for the search engine, then you are focusing on your SERP.
If you are writing for humans, you are focusing on traffic and link-baiting.

That's basically the difference.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenL_Will View Post
If you are writing for the search engine, then you are focusing on your SERP.
If you are writing for humans, you are focusing on traffic and link-baiting.

That's basically the difference.
Thanks for your post

All our articles are made for people with a little SEO to appear in SERP.

I found that if you focus on SERP with high quality articles you will generate traffic. Now like I said above, I disagree with the search engine philosophy that all articles should be super duper for simple tasks.

I bet that if you provide high quality articles not all of them will be indexed or ranked by search engines.

I also think and it is very important, that not all subjects are generating huge traffic and if the search engines take the traffic number factor in their ranking and indexing system it would be stupid.

From my experience, if search engines push for quality contents, I am not sure they are able to identify exactly the level of quality even with their LSI aka Latent Symantic Indexing.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
nicolebeckett's Avatar
nicolebeckett nicolebeckett is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 08-31-10
Posts: 194
iTrader: 0 / 0%
If you are writing content that's informative and interesting to readers, you are doing exactly what the search engines want you to do. The search engines readily admit that they like content that puts readers first and search engines 2nd.

You always, always, always, write for readers - answer their questions, give them what they need to know, and show them how to solve their problems.

As to your original question, no, you do not need to include tedious scientific information. As a reader, I don't care what's actually in the coconut lotion; I only care about what kind of results it's going to give me (ie: smoother skin, moisturized skin, etc).

By providing information like that (with your target keywords inserted naturally into the content, of course), you are appeasing both your readers AND the search engines.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolebeckett View Post
By providing information like that (with your target keywords inserted naturally into the content, of course), you are appeasing both your readers AND the search engines.
I agree with you, but that's not always the case. Let's say you write an interesting quality article, people read it because they navigate on your site and find it, but search engines for whatever reason do not index the article or even rank it which could bring more visitors.

People read sometimes generic articles, but search engines again for whatever reason do not index the article or even rank it which could bring more visitors.

When I say search engines instead of search engine, I mean some articles are indexed in Google and others aren't. The articles that aren't indexed in Google could be indexed in other search engines like Yahoo or Bing, vice versa or not indexed at all.

It doesn't mean that all articles aren't read by our visitors who find them by navigating on our site
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
nicolebeckett's Avatar
nicolebeckett nicolebeckett is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 08-31-10
Posts: 194
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Your articles should never be "generic". They should always address your target audience. And, they should always be written to target specific keywords. That's the only way Google (or any search engine) knows where to rank them.

If you write an article and post it to your own site (or an article directory), it WILL get indexed eventually. It may not always happen as quickly as you want, but if you want to grab the spiders' attention, you can ping your page, and they will get there faster to index it.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolebeckett View Post
Your articles should never be "generic". They should always address your target audience. And, they should always be written to target specific keywords. That's the only way Google (or any search engine) knows where to rank them.

If you write an article and post it to your own site (or an article directory), it WILL get indexed eventually. It may not always happen as quickly as you want, but if you want to grab the spiders' attention, you can ping your page, and they will get there faster to index it.
Well when I say generic I meant that there are more things to talk about on subject like the Hawaiian coconut and its benefice than talking about how the lotions, soaps are great, etc plus if you read the descriptions and the articles from other e-commerces we basically say more or less the same thing about the quality and the benefits of our products.

You can always put the maximun effort in the article with keywords targeted, it doesn't mean that will be successul for many reasons: Saturated articles on the subject, manipulated or stuffing articles, artificially pointing tons of links to the article (like many corporate brands), maketing PPC sites, etc

Search engines do not reward the level of quality of the articles even with their LSI, a machine cannot read like a human, and human need to find what they are looking for by a machine.

It is not a question of spider attention, because I had some articles indexed before and the same articles disappear from their indexes, than come back indexed a few months later or somethine longer. There is no consistency at all, and I believe it depends on how the search engines engineers are calibrating their algorithms or their filters.

Google says if you write a quality article people will link to it, but how people can link to it if you don't have exposure at the first place, and I don't really see the point to artificially link all my articles from other sites to gain exposure and rank high or be indexed.

As far as SEO, I apply the same method for all articles.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Maa's Avatar
Maa Maa is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Posts: 508
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I believe that you should write for your readers. If you are writing interesting and quality content your articles will automatically get indexed by the search engines, and also people will share it with other's.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maa View Post
I believe that you should write for your readers. If you are writing interesting and quality content your articles will automatically get indexed by the search engines, and also people will share it with other's.
That's my point. We provide quality articles for people, but some are not indexed like it should be.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM
carol.prime's Avatar
carol.prime carol.prime is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-20-09
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 427
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I think this is the main reason why, SEO is very important for an article.
Yes, you're writing for your readers however you can't guarantee that your article will be visible to your target market if you do not have a quality articles.
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 AM
alter-ego's Avatar
alter-ego alter-ego is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 03-03-09
Location: Lower Mainland B.C.
Posts: 1,301
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
That's my point. We provide quality articles for people, but some are not indexed like it should be.
I actually feel your pain because I've noticed the very same thing myself. I have some articles that I've literally poured so much of myself into them that I feel creatively exhausted for up to a few weeks afterward believe it or not. The sad part is that some of these articles can't even get within the first 10 pages of google yet some drivel that I hammered out in less than a few hours that makes little to no sense shoots up to page 1 within a few weeks.

This has baffled me for years and I've yet to find any concrete method on how to solve the issue.

I have found some success as of late however and I'd be lying to you if I said I have the holy grail on how to achieve "better" success with current, under-performing content.

What I've been experimenting with as of late is listed as follows:
  • I add <h2> subheadings into the article and break it up.
  • I adjust the content a bit for improved readability while adding a few relevant keywords now and again; throughout the article paying particular attention to the opening paragraphs. AVOID KEYWORD STUFFING.
  • I add one and sometimes 2 relevant images with "alt" and "title" text and a saved relevant saved filename.
  • I adjust the articles meta
  • I change the articles publish date to the edited day regardless of when the article was originally published.
  • I add to the article length, never subtract from it.
I've not just used one or two of the methods listed above, I use them all when an article is struggling. I also try and link to it from at least one other article (whenever possible) and one forum discussion embellishing on the article content.

I sincerely doubt these methods work for everything but so far it has shown signs of promise, at least on my site.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alter-ego View Post
I actually feel your pain because I've noticed the very same thing myself. I have some articles that I've literally poured so much of myself into them that I feel creatively exhausted for up to a few weeks afterward believe it or not. The sad part is that some of these articles can't even get within the first 10 pages of google yet some drivel that I hammered out in less than a few hours that makes little to no sense shoots up to page 1 within a few weeks.

This has baffled me for years and I've yet to find any concrete method on how to solve the issue.

I have found some success as of late however and I'd be lying to you if I said I have the holy grail on how to achieve "better" success with current, under-performing content.

What I've been experimenting with as of late is listed as follows:
  • I add <h2> subheadings into the article and break it up.
  • I adjust the content a bit for improved readability while adding a few relevant keywords now and again; throughout the article paying particular attention to the opening paragraphs. AVOID KEYWORD STUFFING.
  • I add one and sometimes 2 relevant images with "alt" and "title" text and a saved relevant saved filename.
  • I adjust the articles meta
  • I change the articles publish date to the edited day regardless of when the article was originally published.
  • I add to the article length, never subtract from it.
I've not just used one or two of the methods listed above, I use them all when an article is struggling. I also try and link to it from at least one other article (whenever possible) and one forum discussion embellishing on the article content.

I sincerely doubt these methods work for everything but so far it has shown signs of promise, at least on my site.
Exactly what's happening to me. I guess the worse is to be indexed and rank high right away, then the ranking fade or disappear after a week, and the article later is desindexed. Now good luck to put it back indexed.

I have also observed that when you want to improve an article deindexed by rewrite completly, search engines will not crawl it again.

Oh yeah, you can scratch your head to play with a little SEO it will not change anything, it seems like what pays off it is artificially pointing a couple of hundred links to the articles that do not rank at the first time to have exposure.

Big brand corporations do that, and it works.

Like I have mentionned in this thread, LSI is a farce.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Defuse.com Defuse.com is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-10
Location: Virginia
Posts: 28
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I agree with much of what was said here, what you need to keep in mind is that thereis a plethora of junk out there and the search engines need to sift through it somehow to give their clients the best results. I'm almost positive there has to be some sort of department that is mandated to figure out what equates to quality and what is trash. On the other hand, while I am not harnessing the idea of bad copy one needs to be realistic. Article submission is a fantastic form of link building and naturally while you need original content you need lots of it. I would say if you are doing this for link building make sure the article is relevant and does a good job getting your point across.

If you're writing for your own site on the other hand be TOP NOTCH and don't fool around, keep a person's question and SEO in mind.
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
monkeynuts monkeynuts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 05-17-10
Posts: 33
iTrader: 0 / 0%
As well as being exceptionally cute, Nicole is on the ball here. Something I'd like to add; when you write your content - remember the synonyms. Here's a quote from Matt Cutts blog, "However, our measurements show that synonyms affect 70 percent of user searches...". Nuff said?
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defuse.com View Post
Article submission is a fantastic form of link building and naturally while you need original content you need lots of it. I would say if you are doing this for link building make sure the article is relevant and does a good job getting your point across.

If you're writing for your own site on the other hand be TOP NOTCH and don't fool around, keep a person's question and SEO in mind.
I agree with what you said, but article submission is more or less a form of spam/duplicates propagation to me. Unique quality articles on my site make it UNIQUE.

The sad news for example is that a site is not rewarded enough by search engines for the uniqueness. I have seen many ecommerces who copy articles from different article directories and use them on their own site. In most cases they link back, although some don't. However, when they do link back it is to the article directory and not you as the source, so the directory ends up having a higher ranking for the article than you do.
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM
mark jack01 mark jack01 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 10-10-10
Posts: 10
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Your article should be of good quality and related. So that you can share with another.
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark jack01 View Post
Your article should be of good quality and related. So that you can share with another.
Thanks, I know that for a very long time.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 AM
beargy beargy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: 10-12-10
Posts: 30
iTrader: 0 / 0%
isn't that a little difficult, though, because it is very subjective?? do you have others read/edit before posting?
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Franc Tireur Franc Tireur is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-15-06
Posts: 10,109
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by beargy View Post
isn't that a little difficult, though, because it is very subjective?? do you have others read/edit before posting?
That's right Beargy, because according to whom an article is quality?

Defining article quality could be historical, technical, well written about the subject, etc

A quality article is not evaluated by traffic or backlinks because those could be manipulated easily.
 
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-16-2011, 03:20 AM
jhonackerman jhonackerman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-30-11
Posts: 43
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quality article impose users to click on the the link that you provide in the page and we will get the excellent traffic.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS Article Writing, Article Submission, E-Book Writing, Blog Management, etc. MafiaMaster Content 2 07-21-2009 11:57 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC