Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 01-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

When i get jammed up - I do one of several things:
  • I try and write around it - if I'm doing a book scene and I'm stuck, I work out what the aftermath is, and hope that it opens up where I'm stuck. I don't write in order anyway, so it's not difficult to move on to the next place.
  • If I'm writing non fiction, or Uni work, or articles for my clients and I've got writer's block, I try looking at the current research on the subject. If that doesn't jog anything loose I go to one of my templates -
    • X things Y needs
    • top tips for doing B
    • Problem - real life - solution
    • Question - problem - solution
    I've found that these templates are a great start for some articles, though I've got a stable of about 20 of them.
  • If all else fails I free write for 15 minutes after I go do the absolute worst outstanding chore in the house - anything to get me back to writing.

Sometimes though, there's a reason that I can't write - sometimes I need to refill my well, or I've just not caught the inspiration I need - so I take time out if I can.

Hope this helps

Kai

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 04:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiberie View Post
sometimes I need to refill my well ...
Or the nib of my quill gets broken; I hate it when that happens.

Seriously, nice post.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

I like to watch youtube videos on topics in my niche, as well as surf the web for other site in my niche. I guess you could call it a niche-oriented approach .

Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Sometimes, it also helps if you write down a plan, with the main points you will be covering - like the titles of chapters in a book. And if you are to write something long, that's a good way to do it, as it helps you see the big picture.

If it is serious writing (say, thesis, which I'll never do again, even if I have to), you can write sticky notes and put them all over. Even if you block at some point, looking at these around may help you put the puzzle together. Though, it is most like 'revise until you die' rather than being creative.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 01-24-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: for Mel

Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

I have a blog I write daily and some where I write 2-3 times a week or more. But I have a posting schedule for where I have to frequently update the content. If it's Monday, I'll write something about forum development or blogging. For each day I have an overall topic to 'cover', so it's easier to stick to my posting schedule and not have problems anymore.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojo View Post
I have a blog I write daily and some where I write 2-3 times a week or more. But I have a posting schedule for where I have to frequently update the content. If it's Monday, I'll write something about forum development or blogging. For each day I have an overall topic to 'cover', so it's easier to stick to my posting schedule and not have problems anymore.
Sounds smart to me!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Take some time to relax. Get your mind off of writing. Have some fun. When you feel all relaxed, then start writing again

Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 PM
v7n Mentor

I tripped over another way to break writers block the other day by sheer accident. As I'm sure many of you do, I check my content now and again to see how it's performing. If it's performing well then I leave it alone but if it's attracting little interest, I massage it into something better.

Oftentimes this leads to much better content than the original and also helps stimulate the creative process. It's not uncommon for me to come up with two or three new ideas based off editing current content.

Another thing that I found that helped me recently was listening to music. Every now and then you may trip over a particular lyric or phrase that may very well fit into an article.

Lastly, I recently fell into a writing funk that caught me by surprise as they've become increasingly rare for me the past few years. Upon further examination, I found it wasn't lack of ideas stifling my creative desire, it was lack of energy.

As it turns out I felt overburdened by other projects and it was this that sapped my energy to write. What I found that helped was to set aside some time for writing but not a set time as in an hour a day but more a few hours/week.

I think it's important to set time aside to write in but to not constrain yourself to a particular timeframe, make it a bit more loosey-goosey and forgiving. You may find this not only helps you write more but also helps prioritize your overall workload better.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:24 PM
v7n Mentor

I've been following this thread from the beginning and have read some great 'treatments' for writers block.

Now that I am writing a lot more I'm finding my definition of writers block has changed. I used to think it was just a lack of creative flow, and some instances I expect that is the case. I'm now finding that some days I just have a complete hate for writing, its so unappealing that I just avoid the computer all together. I'm guessing my previous understanding of writers block was far too narrow, and now that I'm in a heavier writing period of my life I've come to understand writers block is a 'catch all' term for something that keeps you from getting the work done.

I find if I can get myself excited about the subject of what I am writing it makes it much easier to put word to screen and often doesn't feel like work at all. The other poster mentioned YouTube videos, I like that idea and have started doing it. Sometimes when I'm not in a particularly inspired writing mood I take the day off, take a moment to pause and reflect on the big picture of what my overall goal is to help me get excited again and understand the roll writing plays in achieving that goal.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Exorcising is a great way to overcome writers block. I also like reading my rss feeds that I have subscribed to. This gives me great ideas on what next to write about. Maybe someone didn't cover something important, or just is wrong all together, this is when my real creativity kicks in.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

I find that it';s best to just barrell through writers block and just write whatever you can even if you think it's poor quality or just tripe, and just finished up, and then come back to it next time, what you wrote when you tried to fight through the writers block may not be "your best content", but there's bound to be some good stuff in there that you can refine and explore more in detail.

Sometimes you need that break to break out of writers block, however if you're too easy on yourself and just give yourself breaks whenever you come across minor mental obstacles it can train your brain into taking the easy way out all the time.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM

It may sound weird, but I prefer to set up certain dates as deadlines for when I want my articles done. Sometimes, I may still get writer's block but when that happens I start typing randomly into Notepad. If that doesn't stop it, I get up and walk around for about an hour.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned

Sometimes I can't overcome the block for days and I end up losing a lot of money. I am trying to build more passive income streams so that I have money coming in all the time. This would take the pressure off. However, sometimes I am able to overcome it by just getting rid of stress. (Stress is usually the cause.) I take a hot bath or get a massage. I might also read a book to help my brain get back into gear. Seeing the flow of language really helps. Other times I get in a grove and I can write like the wind....

Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

21 Tips for Defeating Writer’s Block

You still have writers block after reading all the replies in this thread? If you do then check out this blog post for some tips to defeating this issue that we all tend to get.

Quote:
One of the most difficult aspects of article writing and marketing, once you have been doing it for a longer period of time, is how to come up with fresh topics to write about. It is even more difficult to put your finger on ideas that are hot and related to your topic.

Here are some suggestions to help you get those creative juices flowing again.

* Visit forums related to your niche. Spend 30 minutes a day in forums related to your niche. Write down common questions or inquiries and use those to craft articles.
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/03/1...writers-block/

Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

* Visit forums related to your niche. Spend 30 minutes a day in forums related to your niche. Write down common questions or inquiries and use those to craft articles.
Great idea, isn't it? This would be a terrific way to help a client put together an FAQ.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:40 PM

At the times when you are feeling inspired, create a list of ideas. Then you'll have them when you really need them.

Regards,
Melanie

Old 04-08-2011, 11:44 AM
v7n Mentor

MJ,

This is a great thread - and I so appreciate everyone who has posted their ideas.

I'm going to go farm through past customer questions now to get inspired - thanks, HTML.

I find that in addition to all these things, if/when I see a drop in rankings on google, somehow my writer's block disappears and amazingly enough I come up with a bunch of new ideas.

So fear of poverty could be an effective hammer for writer's block.

So then, naturally, I write all these wonderful article ideas (and usually ideas for videos) on a piece of paper and then promptly lose it.

So, when I finish this post, I'll go to staples and buy a bound notebook to keep my ideas in then I'll come home, have a cup of coffee and get to work.

Oh, I haven't noticed this tip in the thread. It helps when I start looking through photos that I've taken of Christmas lights that I should have loaded onto my website ages ago and it makes me think of things I need to write about...

Like those vintage lit tinsel decorations that they still put up in small Texas towns on the light poles every Christmas (I just found a picture of one.... :-)

Writing is really one of those critically important but non-urgent activities that we must do - but it is so very easy to do anything else. I guess I need to decide on that writing schedule as well.....

Good thread.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 PM

How Do You Overcome Writer's Block?

Hi,

The U.S. Government hired folks to help military components who had issues with writer's block deal with it.

Here is one very basic technical:

Think of the old American western wagon wheel or a bicycle with spokes:

Now, think about the topic you want to write about; for example, a car

draw a picture of a spooked wheel with vertical oblong shaped circle that that you can place key worlds in. (The spoke or wagon wheel format just like in a wheel help you not to get carried away and have two many key words as some people wordiness can go on and on.

Next:

List some key words that can be associated with a car:

1 Engine
2. Body
3. Wheels
4. Radio
5. Classification (sports car or luxury type)
6. Classic
7. Brakes
8. Exhaust (System)
9. Price
--------------

Now placing the key words that you just listed in your wagon wheel sketch will more or less give you an ideal if you have enough key words to get you started in the right direction or until that instinctive writers talent kicks in

Old 04-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

I usually take the rest of the day off if I can't come up with anything. Or I take a break and watch a movie to clear my mind. And if I decide to take the rest of the day I always take a notepad with me just in case new ideas pop up unexpectedly.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:55 PM

I do that as well when I am working on projects as well, and also sleep on it, then sometimes wake up in the middle of the night, and it hits me which is also a good strategy

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web