Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 04-17-2011, 01:02 AM

To be honest, I've never really found any magic bullet for writer's block. The only way to deal with it effectively is to face up to the fact that to be a professional writer, you have to treat writing as a job. You just have to say to yourself, "It needs to be done - get on and do it." It's a matter of self-discipline and forcing yourself to get started more than anything.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

4 Ridiculously Easy Ways To Break Writer's Block

If you want easy tips then read this blog post.

Quote:
Are you stuck for new website content ideas to ease your writer's block after having written the first few articles about topics related to your business?

I spoke with Steve Shaw, founder of the SubmitYourArticle.com article submission service, about how to come up with ideas for new content. Here are four of his key suggestions.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...ers-block.html

Old 04-20-2011, 06:22 PM

Some tips for dealing with writer's block:

- Take a break from what you're doing and put it out of your mind. Staring at the computer screen or piece of paper doesn't help at all.

- Walk outside, and go on streets you normally wouldn't if possible. Exercise helps to clear mind and even give some perspective especially if its outside.

- You need to not worry about failing, and realize most people aren't very original in their writings.

- Get the main ideas down before touching it up. Writer's block often times is a result of feeling overwhelmed by the task. Its fine if your article or story isn't good because you can alter it later on to make it better.

This is a short guide to overcoming writer's block.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

I will usually write several articles at a time but usually only parts of them or I will write snippits of things related to things I am doing like tech or other issues....things I can work with later or lead me to write other articles.

starting something today and come back to it later is helpful or I actually write on my phone on the train

Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 AM

What worked for me is that I just kept on writing. I just wrote and wrote and wrote until the writer's block disappeared. A lot coffee helps, too.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM

3 Steps to Avoid Writerís Block and Improve Content Value

More good information.

Quote:
Youíre sitting at your computer and youíre ready to post a new article on your blog. You open up your application of choice. Your hands hover over the keyboard as if they are supposed to direct themselves. You sit for about a minute and you realize that you have no idea what to write about.

Have you been there? I know I have. Iím constantly working on improving this routine. Being able to write interesting content consistently is key to running a successful blog. The good news is, dodging writerís block goes hand in hand with writing great content.

There is a lot of mediocre content available on the internet and, hopefully, we can make a great impression on readers by writing valuable content on our own blogs.

There are a lot of useful tips available on how to improve your writing and how to enhance your creative skills. Many websites offer advice on how to attract readers. These sites list the details involved in writing a juicy post that will pull in more subscribers to your blog. Thatís great, but I want to help simplify all this information by providing 3 simple tips that make it significantly easier for me to write better, and more frequent, posts on my own blog.

This 3R strategy will rake in those readers rapidly. All jokes aside, hereís the real 3R strategy:
Continued at: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/3-steps...content-value/

Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 AM

I've been working as a freelance writer for almost 2 years now. When I first started out, I've had the worst cases of writer's block! I got so desperate that I even went out of my way to buy one of those self-help books for writers. I went online to try and find some help. Some said that it will get better in time, after lots of practice.

Well, it's been two years and I still have writer's block EVERYTIME I have to write an article. A 500-word article takes me almost 2 hours to finish, even if I am familiar with the topic.

When I get frustrated, I take a power nap. 15 min max. Or I walk my dog. Fresh air. Fresh mind. Fresh ideas.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:40 PM

When I have writers block I generally do something else for a few minutes. I find that when I sit back at the computer after a break, it's much easier to come up with ideas. I usually find myself doing dishes or laundry to get over writers block.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:16 AM

I don't know if there's a magic cure for writer's block, but reading helps. And sometimes when I feel really stuck, I watch the Michael Douglas movie "Wonder Boys;" it's a very well written movie about writers and for some reason it helps focus me.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Whenever I get writers block I like to get my camera out, visit a local town and act with the mindset of a tourist.

It's amazing how much is going on all around us that we are just not really aware of, get your mind in tourist mode and you see so much more.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM

The Right-brain Thinkerís Guide to Beating Bloggerís Block

Time to give this one a moderator bump.

Quote:
In his 2009 book A Whole New Mind, Daniel Pink explained that the new world of business is a great place to be a right-brain thinker. Right-brain thinkers are the creators and the empathizers. If you’re a blogger, you are probably a right-brained thinker … and you probably deal with blogger’s block on occasion.

What is blogger’s block? It’s what happens to all bloggers as they try to crank out new, original posts day after day: they eventually run out of ideas. Ever struggle with that?

However, have you ever thought about using your very own creative quirks to generate blog post ideas? Following is a list of qualities that right-brain thinkers have and tips on how you can use these qualities to break those moments of blogger’s block and kick out some great blog posts.
Continued at: http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...%80%99s-block/

The past few weeks, idea's come to me when i'm not online. When i'm online, sometimes the idea's for blog posts never come and i'm looking at a blank page for awhile.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

I only write when inspiration strikes.

ANd if an idea strikes up, I'll note it down. For the upcoming days when I can't think of any fresh topic, I go back to that little notebook and viola, I'm inspired to write again.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

I get writers block all the time.

I think my problem is I have too much to say, and too many ideas. With all these ideas to write, I go to my pc and go blank. -_-

I usually just write down my ideas in a notebook. You should see my notebook, it has pages and pages of ideas. I'm getting stressed just thinking about it. lol

I will generally get a title started and at least 4 key factors regarding the topic. Some days, I have it and can slap an article out without an issue. Other days, it could take a couple days. Not that I am slow at typing. My mind is wondering all the time and I can't stay focused. The story of my life. Even now, when I am typing, my fingers can't keep up. lol

Usually fresh air, a movie, shower, tunes, or a nap will take the edge off. Notice, I didn't say booze. Booze and writing don't mix with me. lol

Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Writer's Block is usually a mental condition of our brains unable to create new ideas, new thoughts! It kinda goes off to a vacation for itself. lol.. Read something off-topic helps a lot to bring back new ideas!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:41 AM

To me writers block is nothing more than a vacuum which is waiting to be filled. Nobody can create anything from a vacuum. For me the best way to fill that vacuum and get the juices flowing is to do a search on Google for the relevant keywords and read and read and read.

Nine times out of ten I find that I pick up a new angle on the topic and just copy and paste some of the research into a note pad. Once I have enough research I will then arrange the topics into a logical sequance and rewrite into my own words.

As I re-write the information it stimulates my own original twist on the content which I inject throughout the article as well.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:21 PM

I had writers block earlier today but while in the shower, i got an idea for a blog post so i wrote it after I was finished. lol

For me when i have writers block, I just get offline and do whatever and most of the time an idea pops in my head out of no where. Then i have to run to the laptop to start writing before i get writers block again.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

Before I write I make sure that I am loaded with information needed in the topic I am about to discuss. Sometimes if the deadline is not tight, I use an outline. As they say "Writing is like pulling the trigger of a gun; if you are not loaded nothing happens." And if I am in the mood, I will immediately take the ideas down so that it will not slip in my head. You're right! The ideas will just flow once you start to write-- that is if you are in the mood.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Writer's block happen when you are not allowing the free flow of thoughts.

Any distraction can provide a solution in allowing the flow again. For me, relaxing for a few minutes can allow it to flow once again.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

I find if I go out and take a few pictures, it helps. Then I try to write up the pictures or relate them to what I need to write about (about which I need to write) Cricket's photo scavenger hunts are GREAT!!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Just as an aside, I used to read a lot of Edward DeBono. One of his tricks was to get someone to give you 2 numbers - the first one under 500 and the next one under 50.
Now go to a dictionary, if you have one - this really doesn't work on line. Look up the first number as the page - hopefully your dictionary has about 500 pages - adjust the request accordingly. Now count down through the words with the second number, again presuming that there are 50 words in a double page spread. Once you find the word - use it in your writing or creative work.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web