Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 PM

Citing Sources?

Hey I'm new

I have a question about citing sources. I would like to write an article aiming at a specific keyword I believe I can easily rank for. Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable on this keyword. After some Google searching, I found many websites and forums posts with reviews, product descriptions, etc. on my keyword of choice (but no pages were optimized for the keyword I would like to aim at). When writing my article, how do I cite sources? Do I post links to the websites I used at the bottom of the article?

For example:
If I'm planning on creating an article with a list of pros and cons on a product, can I pull together a bunch of pros and cons I find reading user posts and reviews found spread over many forums? How do I cite this research? Do I cite each post?

Thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Are you going to actually quote what was said? or do you want to put the sources as references when doing your research?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Are you going to actually quote what was said? or do you want to put the sources as references when doing your research?
I am planning on rewriting most of the pros and cons to create unique content. I might use quotes, in which case I would link back. But for the parts I rewrite, do I need to credit the posts I used when researching? This could include like 10-20 posts in many different threads and forums, which could be hassle to link to each pro & con post.

I'm also wondering: Let's say there is a website that has a review of a new product and they are the only website with a review. Can I quote parts of the review with a link back? How much content can I quote? Do I need to contact the webmaster to quote the review?

I appreciate the help

Old 12-22-2010, 01:51 AM

With a link back to the source article, you should be just fine. The primary objection you'll find here is when people do a cut-and-paste job without giving any attribution to the original author.

It's really good to see someone who's already considering how to attribute his quotes to the source for them. Thumbs up. IMHO, it's the only ethical way to go.

<added>
If you pull bits and pieces from a variety of sources and express it in your own words, I don't think that it's necessary to cite each of your sources.
</added>

Last edited by Bob Barr; 12-22-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM

If you are doing a post for a review web site or blog post of some sort, gleaning your information from several sources about the product is totally acceptable. For the purposes of review or comparison type articles, the only completely necessary resource citing is use of direct quotes from other articles on the topic.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

if you use one or two primary articles for your info I would link back to them as a source, but if you find information from five or more resources and your article is less than 1000 words, you may not need to cite. The rule of thumb is that when you use 'general knowledge' you usually do not have to cite. Basically, if five sites are all saying the same thing...it is likely general knowledge. If you find a specific piece of information that was unique to only one site...you should link back to them.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the great answers. I feel like I have a good understanding now.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 PM

All great answers! The only thing I have to add is that citing sources attributes to your own credibility. It is ALWAYS a good idea!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Contributing Member

Sourcing is always important. I attribute all of my work, even pictures through Creative Commons. It seems many people these days feel they don't need to source anymore, it's sad. Glad you are on the right track though. To answer your question, many times just a link back to the original source will suffice.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 AM

I always approach citing sources the same way I approached referencing in University. I put a link in the actual body of the text if I am talking about the article directly or quoting from it, but put the links to articles that I just read and want to recommend to my readers as also interesting to read at the end of the article.

If you consider that referencing in University adds authority to an essay, then surely it works the same way in blogs especially if you are backing up what you say with posts from an authoritative site on the subject. In essence it is saying to your readers that you know what you are talking about becuase you are saying the same thing as the big boys in your own voice.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web