Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 02-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Common Copywriting Mistakes Everyone Makes

For all the expert copywriting folks we have on this forum, what are the most common mistakes that you see people making all the time? There are 4 mentioned in this blog post but i'm sure there are more.

Quote:
I don’t care who you are; everyone makes mistakes in writing copy. Even the professionals who have to look at the copy with a jaundiced eye and tweak things. This is why we have drafts: because perfection seldom happens the first time around.

While the list of common copywriting mistakes could probably fill a small eBook, some are more common than most – like the four below:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...ng-errors.html

Any thoughts on the 4 mentioned? What other mistakes do you see and how to correct them?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 PM
v7n Mentor

They're all big mistakes, and common ones at that. I've got one to add that drives me nuts... Give up the hyped-up, sensational copy!

There's a huge difference between giving someone the benefits of your product and telling them that you have the end-all-be-all-product-that's-going-to slim them down instantly/make them a millionaire by next Thursday/end all of their problems forever/etc. Personally, I don't think people respond to that much hype; it always reminds me of a slimy used car salesman that no one actually listens to. And, usually, in these pitches, solid information goes out the window, and it becomes all about hype. You can certainly give readers a hard sell. Just back it up with solid information and facts.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. Sure, there are sales pitches within your copy, but some go over the top. In my opinion, it doesn't sell, instead it hurts your copy. Keep your content natural and of high-quality. This will get you the best SEO results possible.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

A good guide for beginners in the writing field. Having these factors in mind will eventually make a writer a better one.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

If you ask me, sentences should not be even 3 lines long. As a professor of mine observed once - if you know what you are talking about, you can say it in a couple of words. Long sentences show that you don't know enough or can't explain it well, so you need to go into more and more explanations of the same to make it clear.

As for copywriting, I think it's important to make the reader imagine the product and its benefits. Engage all their senses. Make them see it, smell, touch, imagine it. Like a 'delicious pizza with a hand tossed crust, shredded mozzarella, blend of fresh Italian seasonings, mushrooms, and loads of pepperoni, baked to creamy perfection'. I mean - imagery is important, the more descriptive, the better (not in long sentences). After all, the purpose is to make people WANT that pizza...

Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelS View Post
If you ask me, sentences should not be even 3 lines long. As a professor of mine observed once - if you know what you are talking about, you can say it in a couple of words. Long sentences show that you don't know enough or can't explain it well, so you need to go into more and more explanations of the same to make it clear.

As for copywriting, I think it's important to make the reader imagine the product and its benefits. Engage all their senses. Make them see it, smell, touch, imagine it. Like a 'delicious pizza with a hand tossed crust, shredded mozzarella, blend of fresh Italian seasonings, mushrooms, and loads of pepperoni, baked to creamy perfection'. I mean - imagery is important, the more descriptive, the better (not in long sentences). After all, the purpose is to make people WANT that pizza...
Although I mostly agree Mel, here is what I don't agree with "As a professor of mine observed once - if you know what you are talking about, you can say it in a couple of words.", and here's why. That came from an extremely educated person probably about his students. They had a good command and understanding of the English language and structure, etc. We can't assume that all our readers are such. We must modify our tone and voice, our structure if you will, to that of our readers. Again, I've said it time and again on this forum, knowing your readers is ESSENTIAL, and this is one of the many reasons why it is. Not only does it affect monetization factors, it affects factors such as this as well.

Advice must be taken from the form of context. The context differs between situations. In the end, being able to see it from your visitor's context is the end all importance. Convey things in the way they need to be conveyed, and if that means longer sentences or more explanation, then that's what we give if we wish to be successful.

No disrespect intended Mel, I find most of your thoughts extremely helpful. But in the end, we must take the advice and apply what applies to our situations, then filter what makes sense and doesn't. Too many people lack an understanding of this, follow advice, and wonder why it doesn't work. Thanks for the input you've given Mel and others in this thread.

This was just my two cents

Old 02-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyonlinesorg View Post

Advice must be taken from the form of context. The context differs between situations. In the end, being able to see it from your visitor's context is the end all importance. Convey things in the way they need to be conveyed, and if that means longer sentences or more explanation, then that's what we give if we wish to be successful.
I have to agree with you on that, thanks for pointing it out! I think nothing should be taken as applying to every blog, life situation, or you name it. Once, I was looking at who was the average reader of one of my blogs. It turned out to be women, aged 24 - 35, with postgraduate education. Now, that is not even flattering - first, men are half of the population and second, not many people have postgraduate degrees.

So, yes, in general, I would go for shorter sentences, but if you need longer sentences to convey things - you shouldn't completely avoid them.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Mel, I have to admit something to you, one of my recent blog posts spoke about you, but I didn't mention your name to protect the innocent. It was an example used exactly as I put it in my thoughts on your reply. Just thought I'd fess up. I'll PM you the link here if you want it.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyonlinesorg View Post
Mel, I have to admit something to you, one of my recent blog posts spoke about you, but I didn't mention your name to protect the innocent. It was an example used exactly as I put it in my thoughts on your reply. Just thought I'd fess up. I'll PM you the link here if you want it.
It will be kind of you if you send me the link! Thanks!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web