Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdarby View Post
I was caught just by the first couple lines. A nice strong opening and a good ending to the intro. I agree there's too much of "what's in it for me?" out there and not enough of "what's in it for others". The "I want it now" mentality is unhealthy too so slowing down and really thinking about the long term for a business.
If I could add a topic to you grand list I'd add something in on risk management and what to do if... something happens to you, your site i.e. hacked, how to reduce security risks or where to find information on it all as risk management is all about planning for the "Ut ohs" in business.
Last thing... make it an e-book too please!

Thanks for writing and your expertise!

Sue Darby
www.sue-a-darby.com
Hello Sue, so nice to meet you as well. I very much appreciate your input as well, and I agree. You're suggestion takes the chapter count to 24 now. Thank you for your time and effort. As for E-book, I've already made it known to Cricket that I'd like to donate a few books to V7N for prizes if I can pull this off. On E-Book, that will mostly depend on the publisher I'm sure. However, if I can find a way around it to ensure an E-book solution as well, I will do that. Thanks again

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

It seems that your book is growing in leaps and bounds. I think its great, not only because you can continue to enthrall your readers for a few more chapters and show them the error of the path they're following, but you're making sure that all the angles are covered and I admire that. This way your book will be well rounded and with facts that very few can dispute.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamrage View Post
It seems that your book is growing in leaps and bounds. I think its great, not only because you can continue to enthrall your readers for a few more chapters and show them the error of the path they're following, but you're making sure that all the angles are covered and I admire that. This way your book will be well rounded and with facts that very few can dispute.

Good luck.
Thanks again Dream. I won't be updating the wire thread anymore for two reasons. First, it won't let me, it's past time Second, like Rob was so kind to point out initially, I need to protect this information because of the unscrupulous online. However, don't despair, if I can pull this off, V7N will have contests and some of you, if you win, will get a copy

Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyonlinesorg View Post
Thanks again Dream. I won't be updating the wire thread anymore for two reasons. First, it won't let me, it's past time Second, like Rob was so kind to point out initially, I need to protect this information because of the unscrupulous online. However, don't despair, if I can pull this off, V7N will have contests and some of you, if you win, will get a copy
I agree, one can never be too careful, especially on the net. I wouldn't mind winning a copy myself, so I will be keeping an eye out

Old 02-14-2011, 11:05 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I agree, one can never be too careful, especially on the net. I wouldn't mind winning a copy myself, so I will be keeping an eye out
Ty, much appreciated. Now if I can just pull it all off. No pressure, no whammies, nothing like going full out and seeing if we blow up

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

Quote:
Ty, much appreciated. Now if I can just pull it all off. No pressure, no whammies, nothing like going full out and seeing if we blow up
You already have half the battle won. You have a brilliant idea, and a gift most of us that write articles would really love to tap into. Take it slowly and at your own pace and things will turn out exactly as you expect them to.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 PM
No Longer Active

Re: repeating words...

IMHO sometimes repeating words adds to the passion for the topic, especially for those who write in the same manner that they speak. It can be a huge part of what makes the content more readable, what makes it feel as if we are chatting over coffee.

An example of what I mean can be found in this mini poem that I wrote a while back.

Quote:
Sound Of The Mourning Dove
http://www.cricketwalker.com/dove/

I woke to the lonesome sound of the mourning dove
Drawn to the sight of her, resting on the branch
Cautiously watching the others all around her
Yet she remained there, separate and alone
Calling out for something . . .

Tears burned my eyes, but did not fall
Softly I whispered to her
I know little bird
I know . . .
For some reason, removing that last repetitive line, just didn't come across the same...

Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
You already have half the battle won. You have a brilliant idea, and a gift most of us that write articles would really love to tap into. Take it slowly and at your own pace and things will turn out exactly as you expect them to.
Honestly, I'm no better than anyone else. My secret, I write with passion because I ONLY write about things I know and BELIEVE in. That makes it tons easier, honestly. I write from the heart, then I go back and edit out the mis-formed stuff. Free writing is your friend, use it on first draft always. It's an easy way to help your stuff shine. After that, edit continued drafts till it "feels" right. Reword and fix the errors, it adds polish to the final product.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

IMHO sometimes repeating words adds to the passion for the topic, especially for those who write in the same manner that they speak. It can be a huge part of what makes the content more readable, what makes it feel as if we are chatting over coffee.

An example of what I mean can be found in this mini poem that I wrote a while back.

For some reason, removing that last repetitive line, just didn't come across the same...

You have a gift for poetry. I love it, have you written anymore poems? I love poetry and envy those who can write poems.
I've tried a few times, but I keep tripping over my words and then everything sounds out of place. Which is why I turned to my art, compositing, or photo manipulation.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

Thanks mom, nice example. I do note advice, but as one of my recent articles mentions, I apply my own filters to it. I use what feels right, to me, what I feel works, for me, note the rest, and store it for potential later use. I've learned throughout the years to trust my gut. It's not the only thing I rely on, but I do let it guide me when it gnaws

Old 02-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

Quote:
Honestly, I'm no better than anyone else. My secret, I write with passion because I ONLY write about things I know and BELIEVE in. That makes it tons easier, honestly. I write from the heart, then I go back and edit out the mis-formed stuff. Free writing is your friend, use it on first draft always. It's an easy way to help your stuff shine. After that, edit continued drafts till it "feels" right. Reword and fix the errors, it adds polish to the final product.
I do that as well, but I have days when I destroy it all and start over. Sometimes I get too sarcastic or come across as having the personality of a bowl of fruit, so I have to work at it a little harder. I believe that in everything you do, you need to be passionate about it, that way you can always ensure you do the best you can.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:25 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
You have a gift for poetry. I love it, have you written anymore poems? I love poetry and envy those who can write poems.
I've tried a few times, but I keep tripping over my words and then everything sounds out of place. Which is why I turned to my art, compositing, or photo manipulation.
Thank you. I hesitate to call it poetry. It's more that thoughts get stuck in my head so I write them down.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Thank you. I hesitate to call it poetry. It's more that thoughts get stuck in my head so I write them down.
In my experience, thoughts get stuck for a reason, if we draw them out, put them to paper, and use them in appropriate ways, they are powerful. It's like that gnawing feeling I get when I write, that I NEED and MUST write this or that within my head. I've learned, go with it.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

Quote:
The way I see it, is that is where it mostly begins. A poem doesn't need to rhyme as long as it comes from the heart and its conveyed in a way that anyone reading it could feel exactly how you felt when you wrote it. I'd love to read more if you ever add more poems online.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
In my experience, thoughts get stuck for a reason, if we draw them out, put them to paper, and use them in appropriate ways, they are powerful. It's like that gnawing feeling I get when I write, that I NEED and MUST write this or that within my head. I've learned, go with it.
That is sooooo funny, because that is exactly what it is like for me. The words get stuck in my head, distracting me from what I am trying to do until I give in and write them down. Sometimes the thoughts are disconnected in my head, but the moment I begin to just write, it all seems to come together.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
v7n Mentor

I just wanted to post this, for other aspiring authors that may be reading this thread, now, or later. What looks to be a really nice video reference for publishing issues, is as follows:

http://www.getpublishedtv.com/category/book-planning/

Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 PM
v7n Mentor

For any following this, or those that care to know, chapter 2 is under way Thanks so far to all who've read this thread, and those that responded offering valuable input. I'm still waiting on PM'd questions you'd like to see answers to in the book, and am offering credit to those asking if I choose to answer them. In the PM, please include name, your website URL, and the question you'd like to see answered. If I use it, I'll include it in the book, along with whoever asked it receiving credit. First come first served

Old 02-21-2011, 05:13 AM
v7n Mentor

Chapter 2 is now complete, starting chapter 3

Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 AM
v7n Mentor

And an update. Had a bit of writer's block and life situations, but chapter 3 is now finally complete. Moving onto chapter 4. 3 down, roughly 24 more to go. Hope they start moving more quickly now

Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Nice easy to read style of writing.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web