Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 02-22-2011, 05:28 AM
No Longer Active

Thumbs up 50 Free Resources That Will Improve Your Writing Skills

I don't know if this blog was previously shared or not but this blog seemed to be a must for anyone who is thinking of starting a career in writing.

Quote:
Effective writing skills are to a writer what petrol is to a car. Like the petrol and car relationship, without solid skills writers cannot move ahead. These skills donít come overnight, and they require patience and determination. You have to work smart and hard to acquire them. Only with experience, you can enter the realm of effective, always-in-demand writers.

Of course, effective writing requires a good command of the language in which you write or want to write. Once you have that command, you need to learn some tips and tricks so that you can have an edge over others in this hard-to-succeed world of writers. There are some gifted writers, granted. But gifted writers also need to polish their skills frequently in order to stay ahead of competition and earn their livelihood.

We collected over 50 useful and practical tools and resources that will help you to improve your writing skills. You will find copywriting blogs, dictionaries, references, teaching classes, articles, tools as well as related articles from other blogs. Something is missing? Please let us know in the comments to this post!
For rest of the story
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...riting-skills/

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM
v7n Mentor

Nice list Ameer, I won't use half of it since I have microsoft word, and Copyblogger and Problogger I already knew about, but a very nice list for most not so in the know. Thanks for the contribution You've been appropriately repped for it

Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

great list i wish i can be a technical writer after learning all these things, smashing magazine is and outstanding platform

Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyonlinesorg View Post
Nice list Ameer, I won't use half of it since I have microsoft word, and Copyblogger and Problogger I already knew about, but a very nice list for most not so in the know. Thanks for the contribution You've been appropriately repped for it
Welcome!! I'm always looking to contribute in the community. Glad some of you found it useful. yes if you have MS word you will have some of them covered. Using English forums would be must for anyone one who would like to improve their English. And tx for the green.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM

That's definitely worth bookmarking, thanks for the share. If I can add to this, I've discovered that many well-known institutions of higher education offer free classes in English writing skills. This is not my site, but they have a great list on education-portal. The list includes Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Utah State University, Open University, University of Utah, University of Massachusetts Boston, Purdue University, UCLA Writing Course, News University, E-Zine University, and Wikiversity. I found this around the beginning of the year, as I have a New Year's resolution to take some writing classes.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:29 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
That's definitely worth bookmarking, thanks for the share. If I can add to this, I've discovered that many well-known institutions of higher education offer free classes in English writing skills. This is not my site, but they have a great list on education-portal. The list includes Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Utah State University, Open University, University of Utah, University of Massachusetts Boston, Purdue University, UCLA Writing Course, News University, E-Zine University, and Wikiversity. I found this around the beginning of the year, as I have a New Year's resolution to take some writing classes.
Nice find Coco, but might I add, those classes aren't just for non English speakers. They're also a good start for those wishing to improve their writing and communication skills, that have English as their primary language as well

Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Nice find Coco, but might I add, those classes aren't just for non English speakers. They're also a good start for those wishing to improve their writing and communication skills, that have English as their primary language as well
You may have misunderstood, as I wasn't trying to imply the classes were intended for non-English speakers. It hadn't even crossed my mind, as English is my first language. Whether English is the first, second, or third language, one would need a certain skill level to get the most out of them.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
You may have misunderstood, as I wasn't trying to imply the classes were intended for non-English speakers. It hadn't even crossed my mind, as English is my first language. Whether English is the first, second, or third language, one would need a certain skill level to get the most out of them.
Don't matter Coco, it was still a good find, and something non English as a first language speaker would benefit from as well

Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Don't matter Coco, it was still a good find, and something non English as a first language speaker would benefit from as well
Thanks.

It is nice, taking online writing classes for free - all you really need is some motivation (and a computer). Originally, I was planning to learn Persian as a second language (there are actually free online classes in that as well). But after consideration, decided to improve upon my English instead. I'm already making money by writing, but have room to polish those skills.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Thanks.

It is nice, taking online writing classes for free - all you really need is some motivation (and a computer). Originally, I was planning to learn Persian as a second language (there are actually free online classes in that as well). But after consideration, decided to improve upon my English instead. I'm already making money by writing, but have room to polish those skills.
There ya go. From there, work on understanding search driven keyword and it's relationship to content development, and you'll make even more

Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

In my opinion, the writing is innate, later learning could promote the knowledge of life.
but i still stand up you to learn the writing skills.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for that, you can learn quite a lot from that. I recently started writing for a firm, they offer very similar advice which is quite in depth. Does anyone know of any good spinning software?

Old 03-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

Yes, don't overlook the skill to write, just as everybody has to pay attention to the skill to speak even if he has spoken his language for 30 years.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

Cool!! Thank you!!! I am always looking for tools to improve my writing skills.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing this resources. I'm actually still looking for ways to improve my writing skills. I'm really looking forward to this.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM

It is a great post to read. But it does not show you how to write, rather emphasis on how to write without grammatical errors. Any ways a nice share.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 AM

You should also explain method of writing....

Old 05-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Contributing Member

Hey...I am just going to start my career in writing so I want to develop my writing skills to give the best.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web