Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

News Headlines Stories and Duplicate Content

Few days back, my friend started a news website and he was copying the latest headlines and stories from famous websites. I suggested him do not copy the news. He said all the news websites do this they have same news with same source even the titles and content are same. Even the news published 10 minutes ago spread all over the internet with same title and body content on famous news websites. My question can we also do the same? or is there any service that we need to contact in order to publish those news. I have seen most of the news are referred to AFP or Cover media etc. Even someone gets a license to publish isn't it going to remain duplicate content?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

It's always a bad idea to simply copy and paste content from other sites.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickz View Post
It's always a bad idea to simply copy and paste content from other sites.
Yes, but what is the solution to publishing news that being shared on net? Many famous news websites have same news with same content and title!!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 PM

It's duplicate from the moment of indexing by the search engines. So if you are smart enough, after you publish an article, make some bookmarking and even someone copy your article and place it on his site minutes after you have bookmarked it, your article will be taken like primary source. This is when you write the articles yourself.

If you copy other articles, then you are in trouble. Maybe you have heard about the new Google crawling method and that they are against duplicated texts. So, I can't advise you to copy content from other sources. It's not so hard to write some unique text.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

uh oh! That would be considered as plagiarism. You don't have the permission to copy news from other websites, not unless you state the author's name as your resource. Although all news has the same content, you must write it on your own version.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM

Wow!!.....
You can subscribe to a news service, like AP, and reprint the news stories..

I recently read an article, last week or so, can't remember where, maybe Google webmaster blog, ...
Anyway...Google has a code that you place, (in or with) a news article to indicate that it is a copy of a legitimate reusable article....,..

"Shared" news articles are common practice in the industry.....

Hope that helps a little...

Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Wow!!.....
You can subscribe to a news service, like AP, and reprint the news stories..

I recently read an article, last week or so, can't remember where, maybe Google webmaster blog, ...
Anyway...Google has a code that you place, (in or with) a news article to indicate that it is a copy of a legitimate reusable article....,..

"Shared" news articles are common practice in the industry.....

Hope that helps a little...
Thanks for the heads up I'll search for it! I actually made a contact with AFP, but seems like they entertain only big news companies. When I speak with their sales representative that we have launched our website and would like to subscribe to your latest news from various topics they just vanished !!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web