Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web

Writing For The Web Need help with SEO copywriting, marketing copy, or just need ideas for writing creative articles or effective ads? Let's work together to learn more about writing for the web!

Share |
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Contributing Member

how to make other people interested in hiring a beginner?

how to make people interested in hiring a beginner like me to write articles?

Last edited by maliaudriel; 03-28-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

That's a tough one to answer...

I started off writing articles and to be honest, all you can do is make sure that the articles you do right are well done. I started writing about spy gear, and I think because I made sure that the articles were unique, reviewing each gadget as if it was the first review ever written for it and making sure there were enough keywords in the article saved my bacon.

If other people see your work and are impressed with your writing skills, you could build a portfolio of sorts to show anyone that may be interested in using your skills to create articles for them.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

Sometimes, even most often, people see how long we have experience in writing, and some people do not want to take risks by hiring beginners.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

That's something we all face, whether we're newbies or oldbies

It's not something you should allow to get you down. Do you have blogs online? I think that a blog could be a good way of advertising your writing skills. If you market that blog, then more and more people will see what you write and be interested. You can also mention on the blog that you are available to write free lance and give people an email link to contact you. If people can see your work, especially if they are reading it first hand, and have a way of contacting you, it can make things much easier for you.

Starting out is always the hardest, after the first few articles, you eventually begin to find your feet and things look better.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Most of the people prefer to experienced writer. So, there is much difficulties for beginners to get first work. Even I want to suggest you that you should read article about writing terminology and techniques such as proper using of keywords. Different types of writing services such as general writing, technical writing. It will help you to convince job provider when you will discuss with them that you are already well familiar with writing techniques.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

I would try to DO MY BEST, even as a beginner. It's possible that you'll have to market yourself as a more affordable professional, so you might work for smaller fees than others, at least until you have a client base. Work hard and don't compromise on quality. If you write decent content and UNIQUE you can surely get off ground with your business and then be able to increase your earnings too.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 AM

dont admit to being a beginner for a start!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Thumbs up Research is key...

Get a good understanding of the branches of Internet Marketing, such as - but not limited to; Article Marketing, Email Marketing, SEO Marketing...etc. Write articles for Ezinearticles.com and other high PR sites like that, so as to put your name out there in respectable places that could use your services, and of course among other things promote good link juice "dofollow" backlinks to any of your sites, blogs, etc. Cheers! [link deleted]

Last edited by Bob Barr; 03-28-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: self-promo link deleted

Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Even I don't admit that I'm beginner to my client, but sometimes, they still want to know how experience i am in writing. After I read all the replies, I got an idea to write the good articles as much as possible so if someone doubted my ability in writing, I can show my writings so they can assess my ability properly. How do you think? Thank you for your advice.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliaudriel View Post
Even I don't admit that I'm beginner to my client, but sometimes, they still want to know how experience i am in writing. After I read all the replies, I got an idea to write the good articles as much as possible so if someone doubted my ability in writing, I can show my writings so they can assess my ability properly. How do you think? Thank you for your advice.
Basically, that is a good start, and it's building a portfolio, just as an artist does. Another decent way is to find print sources like papers, magazines, etc. where you can submit as well. Those are more to ad to a portfolio, and if it's a quality newspaper or magazine, then you can always showcase that. Most times, if we have a few of those under our belts, mention and show it to a prospect, they're not so worried about how long we've been doing it

Another way, start your own website and blog. There is proof of your writing ability as well.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

I was thinking about trying something like this as well. I was looking though the marketplace, and saw quite a few people were charging around $5/500 word article. Is that considered cheap? As someone with little to no experience, would I have to charge less? I will follow the advice from this thread and publish a couple of my own articles, but I'd like to get an idea of what kind of money I could make. I also heard of some professionals charging $50 - $100 / 500 words, but I'm guessing that's not the norm.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
I was thinking about trying something like this as well. I was looking though the marketplace, and saw quite a few people were charging around $5/500 word article. Is that considered cheap? As someone with little to no experience, would I have to charge less? I will follow the advice from this thread and publish a couple of my own articles, but I'd like to get an idea of what kind of money I could make. I also heard of some professionals charging $50 - $100 / 500 words, but I'm guessing that's not the norm.
The norm is usually the sub par pay because many don't want to pay what things are worth. However, with this new panda shakeup, I see that potentially changing because if people want quality, they're going to have to use authors and writers with a command of the language. The fair price, most times, is around .50 to 1.00 per word, and that is what PROFESSIONAL places do pay for such work. The places that rely on quality and realize it's an investment in the thousands of dollars they make because of it, pay that price to make the money they make from it.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

I'll try it in my blog. My blog is still new and not yet have a follower or a number of friends, how to make it known, opened, and read by many people? Should I promote my blog as well on social sites that I follow?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
The norm is usually the sub par pay because many don't want to pay what things are worth.
Things are only worth what people are willing to pay.

Quote:
However, with this new panda shakeup, I see that potentially changing because if people want quality, they're going to have to use authors and writers with a command of the language. The fair price, most times, is around .50 to 1.00 per word, and that is what PROFESSIONAL places do pay for such work. The places that rely on quality and realize it's an investment in the thousands of dollars they make because of it, pay that price to make the money they make from it.
Hmm, well I don't see that happening in this market. Sure that may work for magazines and such, but .50 to 1.00 / word means $500 to $1000 dollars for a 1000 word article. Even highly successful people don't make more then a couple $100k/year in this business, and if you're thinking of those who make in the millions, I doubt there are many.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Things are only worth what people are willing to pay.

Hmm, well I don't see that happening in this market. Sure that may work for magazines and such, but .50 to 1.00 / word means $500 to $1000 dollars for a 1000 word article. Even highly successful people don't make more then a couple $100k/year in this business, and if you're thinking of those who make in the millions, I doubt there are many.
You don't see it changing? Then please allow me to illustrate for you exactly why it will. Firstly, there's that little Panda update where they're still refining the ability to grade content. Right now, as it sits, they can already grade that content based on grammar and spelling at the minimum. Most people willing to work for the sweatshop wages, no disrespect intended, are normally non English speaking foreigners who can afford to work for such low pay. They normally don't have a good command of the language, and their grammar and spelling tends to be a bit lacking.

Now, add to that fact that there are certain markets where certain jargon and speech expected. Again, because of many of the phrases and sayings, most foreign writers cannot use them well, and that will affect grade. As this "grading" continues to improve, using the English language and structural written format, it will be harder and harder for those wishing to get something for nothing, hiring the cheap labor, to continue to do so and get the results they used to.

Bottom line writing on the wall simple. You want to make thousands with a writer's hard work, then at least be decent enough to pay them for their work that's making you those thousands. You want to keep getting something for nothing? Good luck with that, it's not happening here. And I suspect because most with a decent command of the language can't afford to work for such disrespectful wages, as they'd make out further in the long run working at Mc Donalds, prices will go up.

You want well written content that beats Google "grading" filters, then you're paying someone to write it, and they're not going to be able to afford to provide a service and LIVE at $5.00 an article, period.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Well sure I can see people charging $50 - $200 / article, but not $1000. Would those articles really bring in that many customers? Its a gamble. Few are going to be able to afford it.

To touch on your "article grading" point, it will take a while before we can have a decent algorithm for analyzing a texts quality. Look at Microsoft Word, software designed and optimized for writing. It can show you your spelling mistakes, a sentence organizing issue here and there but that's it. You could write something that makes absolutely no sense and it will all check out as correct.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Well sure I can see people charging $50 - $200 / article, but not $1000. Would those articles really bring in that many customers? Its a gamble. Few are going to be able to afford it.

To touch on your "article grading" point, it will take a while before we can have a decent algorithm for analyzing a texts quality. Look at Microsoft Word, software designed and optimized for writing. It can show you your spelling mistakes, a sentence organizing issue here and there but that's it. You could write something that makes absolutely no sense and it will all check out as correct.
Where did I ever say the online would go that high? I don't think I did, and when I mentioned it, I specifically did mention that was print and other sources relying on quality, of course, with the ability to pay for that quality.

On the rest, word was exactly what I had in mind as the BASE the algo is probably based on. As they tweek that, it's going to get better over time. As it gets better over time, it will push quality, which is what they want to begin with. Practice some forward thinking and prepare. Why do all that work now and do it substandard to watch the results plummet later? What, because people want to save a few bucks now? So then, later, after all those $5.00 articles get no results anymore, and it yanks down the quality of your website over all, then what?

There are way too many people that want something for nothing, or expect people to work and be able to survive for substandard pay. Do you call that ethical towards your fellow man? I don't. We all have a choice to make, we can either perpetuate the situation or change it for the better. I've NEVER in all my time online, since 1997 expected someone to produce an article for me for $5.00. Depending, it could take upwards of an hour, and I think it's quite disrespectful and unethical to expect someone to work for that when they'd be better off working at Mc Donalds.

When I can't afford to pay for help in content creation, I write it myself anymore. I'm not going to insult people or contribute to their hours of work and virtually no life because they choose to work 15 hour days for peanuts.

As it sits, many of them use article spinning software to ease the pain of that, and as things continue to get better relating to content grading, that's going to work less and less as well. In the end, I see the market of third country writers thinning because they can't compete. That market will fill with English speaking and writing people with a command of the language and the ability to pass the filters. Those people are not going to be able to work for the substandard wages and survive. As more drop out, competition drops a bit, and those that are left will be those that won't work for the substandard pay.

Will the market go to .50 or 1.00 per word? Maybe not, but I don't see it continueing to set at .01 per word, which is what a 500 word article paying $5.00 is. If that's not greed on the buyer's part and a slap in the face to the writer, I don't know what is. And those left in the market once these changes start happening will not be able to afford such pay. Wake up call time people.

***EDIT***
Quote:
"Would those articles really bring in that many customers?"
What do you think viral material is? It's well written content. If the buyer already has a decent list, the content is well written and helps the social media list the buyer built, then of course it could bring in that kind of visitors. The reason half the time people don't make money with their articles is because of what they're trying to promote alongside those articles. A good writer with a knowledge in SEO copywriting can, and often does, create a ton of traffic. Combine that with the proper on page promotions and you get dollars in sales, IF you have trust and credibility, and kept your brand in tact.

Last edited by moneyonlinesorg; 03-29-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Where did I ever say the online would go that high? I don't think I did, and when I mentioned it, I specifically did mention that was print and other sources relying on quality, of course, with the ability to pay for that quality.
Quote:
The norm is usually the sub par pay because many don't want to pay what things are worth. However, with this new panda shakeup, I see that potentially changing because if people want quality, they're going to have to use authors and writers with a command of the language. The fair price, most times, is around .50 to 1.00 per word, and that is what PROFESSIONAL places do pay for such work. The places that rely on quality and realize it's an investment in the thousands of dollars they make because of it, pay that price to make the money they make from it.
Quote:
On the rest, word was exactly what I had in mind as the BASE the algo is probably based on. As they tweek that, it's going to get better over time. As it gets better over time, it will push quality, which is what they want to begin with. Practice some forward thinking and prepare. Why do all that work now and do it substandard to watch the results plummet later? What, because people want to save a few bucks now? So then, later, after all those $5.00 articles get no results anymore, and it yanks down the quality of your website over all, then what?
Maybe people buy those cheap articles now since that's all that they can afford, and by the time the algorithm changes, they will hopefully be successful enough to afford high quality articles. Its also been said that Google likes new articles better. If you have a high quality article now when a lower quality article could provide the same results, that hq article is a waste.

Quote:
There are way too many people that want something for nothing, or expect people to work and be able to survive for substandard pay. Do you call that ethical towards your fellow man? I don't. We all have a choice to make, we can either perpetuate the situation or change it for the better. I've NEVER in all my time online, since 1997 expected someone to produce an article for me for $5.00. Depending, it could take upwards of an hour, and I think it's quite disrespectful and unethical to expect someone to work for that when they'd be better off working at Mc Donalds.

When I can't afford to pay for help in content creation, I write it myself anymore. I'm not going to insult people or contribute to their hours of work and virtually no life because they choose to work 15 hour days for peanuts.
Some of these people charging $5/article make more money from that then they could make from doing anything else in their country. So while $5 is not much here, it could help them live a comfortable life over there. As you said, the quality of their articles is not good so nobody is willing to pay them too much. Thus by not hiring them at all, you're taking away their source of income.

Quote:
As it sits, many of them use article spinning software to ease the pain of that, and as things continue to get better relating to content grading, that's going to work less and less as well. In the end, I see the market of third country writers thinning because they can't compete. That market will fill with English speaking and writing people with a command of the language and the ability to pass the filters. Those people are not going to be able to work for the substandard wages and survive. As more drop out, competition drops a bit, and those that are left will be those that won't work for the substandard pay.
If the price paid for articles increases, competition will increase. Price will level out. Even if foreign writers leave the market, many others (foreign or not) will take their place.

Quote:
Will the market go to .50 or 1.00 per word? Maybe not, but I don't see it continueing to set at .01 per word, which is what a 500 word article paying $5.00 is. If that's not greed on the buyer's part and a slap in the face to the writer, I don't know what is. And those left in the market once these changes start happening will not be able to afford such pay. Wake up call time people.
Its not. If I go in the marketplace right now, see somebody selling an article for $5 and I buy it, how is that greedy? The seller is the one who chose the price. As I said, I've heard of people making $50 - $100 / 500 word article, so it is possible. The seller of the $5 article obviously doesn't believe his work is worth that much. Maybe he makes more money selling many low quality articles rather then one high quality, I don't know. I have my own problems to worry about, I'll let others deal with their own.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Maybe people buy those cheap articles now since that's all that they can afford, and by the time the algorithm changes, they will hopefully be successful enough to afford high quality articles. Its also been said that Google likes new articles better. If you have a high quality article now when a lower quality article could provide the same results, that hq article is a waste.

Some of these people charging $5/article make more money from that then they could make from doing anything else in their country. So while $5 is not much here, it could help them live a comfortable life over there. As you said, the quality of their articles is not good so nobody is willing to pay them too much. Thus by not hiring them at all, you're taking away their source of income.

If the price paid for articles increases, competition will increase. Price will level out. Even if foreign writers leave the market, many others (foreign or not) will take their place.

Its not. If I go in the marketplace right now, see somebody selling an article for $5 and I buy it, how is that greedy? The seller is the one who chose the price. As I said, I've heard of people making $50 - $100 / 500 word article, so it is possible. The seller of the $5 article obviously doesn't believe his work is worth that much. Maybe he makes more money selling many low quality articles rather then one high quality, I don't know. I have my own problems to worry about, I'll let others deal with their own.
On the dropping out portion the comment, those that can't compete because they can't produce the quality WILL drop out. Maybe not worded so well given I figured the context around the point was sufficient, but as you tried to point out an error, I'll clarify. Competition will increase, but those failing to provide the required quality level will not remain.

On the buying something advertised, of course, that is a different story, yet you still know the work that goes into writing. Hence, you still shoulder some of the greed burden when you purchase for the low amount, helping them perpetuate the situation when you could, in fact, offer to pay more, sorry to point out.

You seem to be one of the people that, as long as it doesn't affect you, it doesn't matter. That's your choice, but that's part of the reason the US is in the trouble it's in at this point. The individual choices of a person makes up the qualities of a society. You would seem one that's OK with perpetuating instead of changing, and once again, you are welcome to that and that is your choice.

I also find it a bit laughable of your suggestion of:

Quote:
If you have a high quality article now when a lower quality article could provide the same results, that hq article is a waste.
High quality, a waste, when that's what Google keeps suggesting? OK. Take away their livelihood by not hiring them when I'm striving for quality and they don't cut the mustard? OK. Sorry to say, but so much of what you've put forth, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's like argument for argument's sake. And through it all, you still did not address the issue of what happens later, when all those $5.00 articles riddle your website, which Google has an index of and where they are, start to pull your website down in rankings?

What I said still stands, in the fact of, the time is coming when quality will matter. Anyone who wishes to dispute that, given Google's drive for quality, will surely get ran over when the changes come.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
On the buying something advertised, of course, that is a different story, yet you still know the work that goes into writing. Hence, you still shoulder some of the greed burden when you purchase for the low amount, helping them perpetuate the situation when you could, in fact, offer to pay more, sorry to point out.
Its not like I have money growing in my backyard. I'm a university student with huge tuition debt.

Quote:
You seem to be one of the people that, as long as it doesn't affect you, it doesn't matter. That's your choice, but that's part of the reason the US is in the trouble it's in at this point. The individual choices of a person makes up the qualities of a society. You would seem one that's OK with perpetuating instead of changing, and once again, you are welcome to that and that is your choice.
I guess yeah, I don't really care about stuff that doesn't affect me. As I said I have my own things to worry about. I didn't get to where I am by wasting time on others who fail to help themselves. I also don't live in the US, so... yeah.

Quote:
I also find it a bit laughable of your suggestion of:
High quality, a waste, when that's what Google keeps suggesting?
Right now, cheap articles still work fine. We could hypothesize all we want about what the future will bring, but when you're talking investments of hundreds to thousands of dollars, I personally would need concrete evidence that it will bring results. Especially since there are other ways of bringing in traffic.

Quote:
And through it all, you still did not address the issue of what happens later, when all those $5.00 articles riddle your website, which Google has an index of and where they are, start to pull your website down in rankings?
As I understand their algorithm change, they will simply not put a lot of value on backlinks from non unique content anymore. They didn't directly penalize the sites that were being linked at from these articles. So they technically shouldn't penalize me in the future because of this, they just won't put value on those links. At that point I would hopefully have enough money (generated from the $5 stuff) to get new, more expensive articles.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Writing For The Web